Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
bullet

Propride

Wanting to install a P3 hitch ,on my 28RL, 2012 Bullet. Has any one done this one??? Pros cons. TV is a 2000 ford expedition 5.8 L, 373 gears, tow package. thanks for any and all help Mike
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
jbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Wanting to install a P3 ,on my 28RL, 2012 Bullet.
I was very happy with the Equalizer hitch we had on our Coachmen 23GSX. I pulled that trailer with a 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V8 Limited and had **NO** trouble whatsoever. I was always a little concerned with the short wheelbase of the 4Runner and was much happier pulling with the larger truck. I really liked the Equalizer hitch and highly recommend it.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
f6bits

From what everybody says, the Propride is the Cadillac of setups. I wish I had the cash for one. And with the Sprinter, there are no clearance issues, as there are on some trailers with the nosecone.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
jbsmith

I just watched the video on the setup and operation of the ProPride 3P. Mechanically, it sure looks complicated. At $2400.00 <yikes> that's a lot of money. It sure looks nice, but that's more than I spent total on my 18,000 lb sliding fifth wheel hitch, installed.

Seriously...take a look at the Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control, Weight Distribution Hitch. You would need the 1,000 lb model (90-00-1000) for the 28RL but the MSRP is only around $750.00. The hitch is mechanically very simple and requires virtually no maintenance other than a little grease on the hitch head.

I do like the fact that most of the hitch assembly stays attached to the trailer and there's no handling of the trunnion bars. I also like the fact you can adjust the pressure on the bars to account for different trailer loading. That alone, might make it worth the extra cost.

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
f6bits

I have the Equalizer (and really like its simplicity), and the trunnion (spring) bars need to be removed and plugged in for unhooking and hooking the trailer. There’s the massive hitch on the TV with the box inserts for the trunnions. At the trailer end, the trunnions are hooked in with L-pins.

On a good day, I can set up in 5 minutes once I drop the trailer onto the ball. So, in spite of the assembly and disassembly when using the hitch, it’s pretty simple if you’ve got the routine down.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
Flyguy

Here's a link to the Pro-Pride hitch videos;

Video #1:

Video #2:

Video #3:

Video #4:

Video #5:

Video #6:

Video #7:

Video #8:
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
Wanting to install a P3 hitch ,on my 28RL, 2012 Bullet. Has any one done this one??? Pros cons. TV is a 2000 ford expedition 5.8 L, 373 gears, tow package. thanks for any and all help Mike
Not sure if you are still looking for answers, but on my Bullet, I went from an Equalizer to a Hensley. The Hensley is very similar to the Propride and works on the same principals.

Installing the Hensley was very straightforward and had the same degree of difficulty as my Equalizer. Both Hensley and Propride offer outstanding service for their customers. If you run into any problems, just give them a call.

And some may ask why I switched from an Equalizer to a Hensley. The Expedition comes with a very squishy rear suspension and is more prone to sway. The design of the Bullet made that much more noticeable (I did not have as much sway with my Rockwood - some but not as much). I

spent a lot of time on the phone with the guys from Progress (maker of Equalizer) and we tweaked the hitch to their specs but I still had sway. The Hensley eliminated it.

Yes it is expensive. So is your tow vehicle and trailer. Between the two I am already in the hole for $50,000. For me, $2,300 is not that much more money in the greater scheme of things. Especially when the safety of my family is concerned.

JMHO.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
richf28

I too had a serious sway problem with my Hornet. I had an Avalance for a tv and a Reese Dual Cam hitch. Decided it must of been the tv..I went out an bought a new Ford F150 Ecoboost. No difference, still swayed and it would scare the hell out of you on breezy days and always felt anything passing you by pushing us around. Wife was always gripping the arm rest. (Like that would help). Talked to Reese, Keystone, and numerous dealers with no luck. Hauled it to Florida for the winter and took me 4 days on account of needing to pull off so much for breaks or windy conditions. Decided to by a Hensley while in Florida for the trip back and what a difference. Can't even feel anything passing me, was windy through the mountains and I had total control with speeds around 60-65 mph. Was home in two days. Worth the cost to me so far I guess.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
Not sure if you are still looking for answers, but on my Bullet, I went from an Equalizer to a Hensley. The Hensley is very similar to the Propride and works on the same principals.

Installing the Hensley was very straightforward and had the same degree of difficulty as my Equalizer. Both Hensley and Propride offer outstanding service for their customers. If you run into any problems, just give them a call.

And some may ask why I switched from an Equalizer to a Hensley. The Expedition comes with a very squishy rear suspension and is more prone to sway. The design of the Bullet made that much more noticeable (I did not have as much sway with my Rockwood - some but not as much). I

spent a lot of time on the phone with the guys from Progress (maker of Equalizer) and we tweaked the hitch to their specs but I still had sway. The Hensley eliminated it.

Yes it is expensive. So is your tow vehicle and trailer. Between the two I am already in the hole for $50,000. For me, $2,300 is not that much more money in the greater scheme of things. Especially when the safety of my family is concerned.

JMHO.
I totally agree. I tried a Equalizer on my 35" Sprinter and Excursion. I still had the sway. I moved to a Hensley and wow what a difference. Absolutely NO sway! I have been in some horrible conditions and never a sway.

You will enjoy your Propride! Nice choice!

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
2011 keystone

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3021

This is what happened before leemedic got a hensley.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote