Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
lincolnshome

Question Still looking

My wife and I are not new to camping, but, our last rv was a small fold down camper we have pulled behind our motorcycle. We are semi retired now and want to go bigger. I was thinking we would buy a 5th wheel and pull our bike on a trailer behind it. Then I thought we''d be better to go with a toy hauler. After a lot of looking I found what I thought would be perfect; a Montana Mountaineer 347 THT. I drive a 2008 Chevy Silverado K1500 Extended Cab 4WD with the Vortec Max 6 litre and the towing package. (The previous owner towed a 31 ft 5th wheel, I am told, not sure of the make or brand). I have been told by a couple of dealers that I should have no problem, as long as I put heavier tires on and always tow with the bike or, or other weight, in the back of the trailer. I went on to a truck forum site and got some conflicting responses to my question, so, I thought I would try to get some clear answers from an rv forum. I just want to be sure we will be safe and legal. I know I would be better to get a heavier truck, but, that`s not financially feasible at this time
lincolnshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
antiqfreq

welcome to the forum...

I am not an expert by any means but that fiverr appears way too heavy for that particular truck.....

have a wonderful day !

jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
2014Fuzion300

Dry weight is 10220 lb.
GVW 14145 lb.
I will not pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck.

Sent from my iPhone.
2014Fuzion300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
GaryWT

Good luck with whatever you do. Just watch your payload of the truck vs hitch weight.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Good luck with whatever you do. Just watch your payload of the truck vs hitch weight.
I agree, Payload was the key when we searched for a trailer to pull with our 1/2 ton. It really narrowed down our options. There are great toyhaulers out there that will fit your truck, just do your research & have fun!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
KanTC

Welcome lincolnshome.

The dealers you spoke with were simply trying to make a sale, not providing you with the necessary info to
make an informed (& safe) decision.

You'll need a bit more info about your truck to determine the correct towing capacity, but this should help ---

Based on the details you posted & comparing the towing guides (links provided below), if I it read correctly:

AT BEST, you "may" have up to 10,500 lbs max towing capacity for a 5th wheel, but that's IF (& only if) your
truck has a standard bed/box and with the 4:10 rear axle ratio [plus the towing package, which you mentioned].
3:73 rear axle, and towing capacity drops to 8,500 -8,600 lbs max for a 5th wheel.

As already mentioned, the truck's load/payload capacity will also be a limiting factor. You can find that info
(for your specific truck) on the tire/load sticker on the driver's side door or door jam.

Trailering brochures typically show more detail for the truck configurations & towing limits.
http://www.gm.ca/media/vehicles/comm...rochure_EN.pdf (2007)

http://www.carlblackchevy.com/vehicl.../silverado.pdf

http://www.gmcertified.com/themes/de..._Silverado.pdf

Despite what those dealer's told you, the Mountaineer 347THT is NOT a good (nor safe) match for your truck...
it has an unloaded/shipping weight of approx 10,838 lbs, so the 'empty' 5th wheel weighs more than your 'at best'
possible towing capacity. Changing truck tires may help with towing stability, but tires do not increase the towing
limits as set by the truck manufacturer. Truth is, unfortunately, it's going to be very difficult to find a 5th wheel toy
hauler to match your current truck. Chances are, you'll probably have to choose a bumper-pull (toy hauler) if you
want to stay within your truck's limits.

Yes it's information overload, but don't stress -you're on the right track with asking questions & gathering the correct info
Good luck with your decision.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote