Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
ISLANDER1089

Cheap King Mattress in Cougar 22RBS

Almost a year ago I purchased my very first RV, a 2018 Cougar 22RBS. The salesman and the brochure told me it had a King Mattress. I was pretty disappointed when I discovered that my king sheet set would not fit and that the mattress was an RV King, which I'd never heard of. As most of you know it's impossible and expensive to buy sheets for these mattresses but this is only part of the problem.
Last summer I hauled this trailer for 14,000 miles over a 50-day trip and spent every night on that miserable mattress. I travelled alone and by the end of the second week, I could see a significant sag in the middle. Now it has developed a permanent sag where the center is about 3" lower than the edges.
Is this a warrantable defect? Are there better mattresses out there that fit my TT? I would love to get a memory foam setup but can't find any company that makes them in this size. Any help would be appreciated.
ISLANDER1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

We have the same RV and actually like the king mattress. It didn't look the size of a residential king so we measured it. We didn't bother with proper expensive sheets and just used our king sheets from home. Worked fine. Pretty sure it's not a warrantied item but you could try and maybe get a better mattress for a better price. I think dealing with your RV dealer/suppliers may be your best bet. Maybe custom memory foam but expensive I'm sure. Good luck
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
major bumm

Hi,

You lasted longer than I did. I found myself replacing the mattress in about 1 month of ownership. It is just a standard issue crap mattress and I don't think it is uncommon in RV's. My last RV had a 4" thick foam mattress. It also was replaced quickly.

The best option would be to measure and go to the store and buy really good mattress.

I went to Amazon and found one I could afford ($80 or 120). It is not the best either, but a heck of a lot better than the OEM. It fits just a hair snug, but works fine. I rotate it every two weeks and my back thanks me.

I found a flannel sheets set at Walmart for $30-40, they also fit just fine.
major bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

RV mattresses are one of the most common complaints about rigs at all price points. "Josh the RV Nerd" (YouTube, Haylett RV) just did a video about them, and his explanation makes sense: people's sleep preferences are so different that no mattress is going to satisfy even the majority of people so manufacturers equip their units at the lowest price point possible, knowing that for occasional use most people will "get by" and that those who use their rigs more will replace the mattress with one that they have selected that meets their sleep needs.

As for the odd sizes, there are sheet sets available for the various RV sizes, both at places like Camping World and online at Amazon, Walmart, etc. Because they are not as popular you do pay a higher price for them.

Usually it is the length that has been shortened to fit the space available. Since I also wanted to replace my mattress, and I'm single, I replaced my RV queen 60x75 mattress with a standard 54x75 mattress that I could easily get sheets for, with the added benefit of having more room to move around the bed. RV Kings come in two lengths from what I've seen: 80 and 75. If your mattress is 80" long you could replace it with a standard 60" wide queen. If it is only 75" long you would have go all the way down to a 54"x75" standard full to get sheets that fit off the shelf.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
ISLANDER1089

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
RV mattresses are one of the most common complaints about rigs at all price points. "Josh the RV Nerd" (YouTube, Haylett RV) just did a video about them, and his explanation makes sense: people's sleep preferences are so different that no mattress is going to satisfy even the majority of people so manufacturers equip their units at the lowest price point possible, knowing that for occasional use most people will "get by" and that those who use their rigs more will replace the mattress with one that they have selected that meets their sleep needs.

As for the odd sizes, there are sheet sets available for the various RV sizes, both at places like Camping World and online at Amazon, Walmart, etc. Because they are not as popular you do pay a higher price for them.

Usually it is the length that has been shortened to fit the space available. Since I also wanted to replace my mattress, and I'm single, I replaced my RV queen 60x75 mattress with a standard 54x75 mattress that I could easily get sheets for, with the added benefit of having more room to move around the bed. RV Kings come in two lengths from what I've seen: 80 and 75. If your mattress is 80" long you could replace it with a standard 60" wide queen. If it is only 75" long you would have go all the way down to a 54"x75" standard full to get sheets that fit off the shelf.
I watched the video and agree with The Nerd. Another reason that RV manufacturers use the cheapest mattress is weight. Memory foam is quite heavy.
I can't remember the mattress size but I believe it's both narrower and shorter than a standard residential king. I guess my choices will be a custom cut gel foam or go with a smaller residential size like a queen. I certainly don't want the dealer to install a new version of what I have.
Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
travelin texans

Measure your current mattress then go online & I'd bet you'll find several choices at much better prices than any rv or mattress store.
Camping World & most any mattress store you'll have to mortgage the farm the make a down payment on a mattress.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Also remember that if you're buying a "memory foam mattress" (NOT A HYBRID MATTERSS WITH SPRING COILS) you can easily customize the size. An electric knife works wonders and all the memory foam mattresses that come "rolled up in a box" have a zippered cover, so it's very easy to unzip the cover, trim the mattress with an electric knife, re-zip the cover and "VOILA: custom fit mattress".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Tbos

Keystone is replacing my mattress because of the dips in it. I’m sure the replacement will fail in a few months. All memory (polyurethane) foam mattresses will change their firmness over time. Supposedly natural latex foam will not break down like that.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
ISLANDER1089

I think I have a plan. The RV King mattress I have is 72" wide and 74" long. The particle board section that supports the bottom half of the bed and lifts up for storage access is only 60" wide. If I remove this and replace it with a piece that's 60" wide but about 6" longer I can replace my mattress with a residential queen (60' x 80') and I have solved the problem. Now I will have more room down each side and I can buy standard queen size bedding.

THANK YOU
Old 02-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
KeithInUpstateNY

Sounds like a plan James. Good luck.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
itat

We may be in the same boat later this year since we just upgraded to a new 5er. I'm also in Ontario (1/2 hour east of Toronto) and I'd be interested in what mattress you end up getting.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
ISLANDER1089

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
Sounds like a plan James. Good luck.
You know, one thing that keeps bugging me is that I paid for a brand new product (TT including mattress) and now after only two weeks use I have to throw away a worn out, cheap mattress and purchase a good gel foam version at my expense. Shouldn't I get some sort of credit toward a better mattress? It doesn't seem fair that a manufacturer like Keystone should be allowed to get away with that. I'm not mad, just frustrated. It's the principal.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
ISLANDER1089

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We may be in the same boat later this year since we just upgraded to a new 5er. I'm also in Ontario (1/2 hour east of Toronto) and I'd be interested in what mattress you end up getting.
I am fairly certain that I will pick this one up off Amazon. I'm a Prime Member so shipping is free.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MWTJGDE/ref=emc_b_5_t
Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
KeithInUpstateNY

For what it's worth I bought this 10" mattress and was still happy enough with it after two five months stints of boondocking that I bought another one to replace the mattress at my cabin: Best Price Mattress Memory Foam 10 Inch Mattress, Full https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCL2FU..._eM1CCbGPW2YW3

For reference, I'm about 5'9" and 155# and a side and back sleeper.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 02-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
Steveo57

I've got the 22RBS also and what I ended up doing is getting a regular size queen mattress from Amazon. I just cut the plywood piece at the foot of the bed down a little bit so it fits the mattress width wise. That gave me a few extra inches on each side. The length wasn't a problem, it hangs over the end a few inches but it's stiff enough that it doesn't bother anything.

One thing I will do this spring is to put in some stronger struts to lift the bottom of the bed. The new mattress is much heavier than the old one and it requires a lot of effort to lift up the foot of the bed now.

This is the one I got. It's pretty firm but you can always add a softer topper to it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A4OP8Y..._5t2CCbMTQKPEA
Old 02-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #16
bobbecky

We suffered with our 72 X 80 w/ radius corners RV King mattress for quite a while, until we came through Fresno, CA, maybe four years ago. There is a small custom mattress manufacturer there who we had make us a natural latex foam mattress, the same size and with the radius corners. When they delivered it to our location we were staying at, I assisted the fellow to remove the old innerspring mattress and bring in the new foam mattress. I think the new mattress was close to half the weight of the innerspring mattress. We sleep great now and it doesn't sag at all. They also made it upholstered on both sides so it can be flipped, which the original mattress couldn't be. We full time, so the mattress is very important to us.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089 View Post
You know, one thing that keeps bugging me is that I paid for a brand new product (TT including mattress) and now after only two weeks use I have to throw away a worn out, cheap mattress and purchase a good gel foam version at my expense. Shouldn't I get some sort of credit toward a better mattress? It doesn't seem fair that a manufacturer like Keystone should be allowed to get away with that. I'm not mad, just frustrated. It's the principal.

Not trying to be "ugly", but did you not "try" out the mattress and sign off on it before purchase?? We all pay for a new trailer with a "new" mattress....we just all know that they are'nt worth a flip. And, no, you won't get a credit toward a better mattress....just ask at the dealership....I can see the eyes rolling now! Again, not trying to be ugly but if that was at the top of my list for "gotta haves", I would have known if it worked for me or not before signing the dotted line.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not trying to be "ugly", but did you not "try" out the mattress and sign off on it before purchase?? We all pay for a new trailer with a "new" mattress....we just all know that they are'nt worth a flip. And, no, you won't get a credit toward a better mattress....just ask at the dealership....I can see the eyes rolling now! Again, not trying to be ugly but if that was at the top of my list for "gotta haves", I would have known if it worked for me or not before signing the dotted line.

See you posted this at 2AM

The guy is obviously new to RVing and I doubt they let him lay down on the mattress and take an 8 hour nap during PDI.

We bought the SAME mattress as in our home but in a full residential queen size that we plunked onto the RV queen platform. I put a piece of plywood across the end of the platform so it would NOT sag when we hopped on the bed. You can no longer wiggle around the sides of the bed easily as the length closed off the wiggle room but since you can't stand up in the bed area of our little 5ver anyway, it doesn't matter.

I agree that NO single mattress will work for everyone but think the bottom line reason trailer manufacturers put in the absolute cheapest mattress is that the mattress is the absolute cheapest. Why do they put the cheapest plastic plumbing fixtures (faucets and shower head)? To save weight?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:11 AM   #19
foldbak

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4+foam+to...l_8cvwoo4i5x_e

Cut to fit! Done!
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #20
Lewisiwade

We are new to this wonderful experience as well. Just bought 2018 Cougar in September of 2017. We love it. Re mattresses: we used memory foam in the master. You can EASILY cut to size with the old electric carving knife! Have one also for the fold out couch but a royal pain to move and store. I’m seriously considering using an inflatable next time we take guests. It also takes very little room to store.
Lewisiwade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, mattress