Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #21
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
The biggest takeaway for me was in the first sentence
"As recreational-vehicle sales slow from their decade-long boom ..." emphasis mine.
Maybe in future we'll be able to get a campsite without having to book three weeks in advance?
Three weeks? I’m 9+ months for Oregon St Parks. 12 months for national forest through RA.

Would be cool I guess if it all networked and your truck automatically looked ahead to places and campgrounds updated what they had open for the night or weekend.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #22
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sam,

The Ford SuperDuty TPMS monitors pressure but does not monitor temperature of either the truck tires or the trailer tires...

I don't know if the GM TPMS system will monitor both Temp and Pressure, but I've been told "it's going to do both"...

IMHO, having a TPMS that only monitors pressure is sort of like listening to stereo with only one speaker..... YMMV.
Making me excited to see what Ford comes up with for 2020. Just so tight lipped right now.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #23
cookinwitdiesel

I honestly did not know if temps were included, just glad they are improving their capabilities from where they are today. Hopefully the 3500s have TPMS unlike the current gen!

Pretty sure my 2018 has only pressure reporting for only the truck tires, I do not recall seeing temps anywhere.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #24
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
The biggest takeaway for me was in the first sentence
"As recreational-vehicle sales slow from their decade-long boom ..." emphasis mine.
Maybe in future we'll be able to get a campsite without having to book three weeks in advance?
3 weeks?

National sites up here open in Jan. Want to get into Bannff, Jasper or the like and you better be ready to book the first week of Jan.

Provincial sites are ~3 months to get a spot.

3 weeks would be nice

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #25
DBTexas

I tend to agree here. I can't think of very many RV functions I really need (or want) to monitor/control while I'm sitting in the truck. I never level my trailer while it's connected. Nor do I want to start switching on appliances in the RV from the truck before I am parked, leveled and plugged in to shore power. Pin and suspension weights are an interesting point though.
DBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTexas View Post
I tend to agree here. I can't think of very many RV functions I really need (or want) to monitor/control while I'm sitting in the truck. I never level my trailer while it's connected. Nor do I want to start switching on appliances in the RV from the truck before I am parked, leveled and plugged in to shore power. Pin and suspension weights are an interesting point though.
Measured with the accuracy and precision built by the same company that manufactures black tank sensor probes ????

As an after thought: Think about what it will mean when you take your GM truck/trailer to the GM dealer because the two "won't talk to each other" and the GM dealer says, "It's not the truck", so you tow it to the RV dealer, yeah, the same one that had your rig for 3 months for some loose screws and a piece of molding that didn't match, and they say, "leave the rig parked over there, we'll take a look at it when we get a chance and let you know.".....

So, you walk home and don't hear from the RV dealer for 3 weeks. Frustrated because your truck AND trailer are parked and you can't use them, you call for an update and they tell you, "We haven't had a chance to get it in the shop yet, but we're working on one with the same problem, so it might help us speed up your troubleshooting, when we get to it." Now that's a "warm fuzzy, eh??? .......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #27
Fishsizzle

Where did article mention reading pin and axle weights?

Specifically, the system offers an additional and phone-free way to access information about tank and battery levels in the Keystone RV, battery levels, lights, water, HVAC functions, generator functions and more while on the road. The system also sends alerts should there be any RV-system errors or components that need attention. Off the road, these functions can be accessed anywhere in the world with a Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone from Chevy and GMC apps.

Maybe I missed a chunk of the conversation somewhere
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 04-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #28
Frank G

Take a look at this video, it is a quick overview of what Keystone is up to. There is another one with more detail, I will try to find it.

Enjoy
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #29
Fishsizzle

Thanks for the video. Sounds like a toyhauler thing. It makes sense as we have all talked about liability when overloading our trucks or RV. Keystone makes it OUR problem with this system it seems.

Not that is a bad thing. We’ve all talked about personal responsibility when it comes to our trucks capabilities and weight. Will be interesting to see a Salesperson try and sell one to an F250 owner
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM   #30
Frank G

Here is a complete explanation of the new In-Command on board weight system by the Keystone engineers. Watch what happens when the GVWR is exceeded and the pin weight percentage goes out of range.

Apparently GM has integrated this information into the vehicle display. No more overloading without operator knowledge.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #31
Fishsizzle

Pretty cool, now I’ll just hand the app to HW and she can base her shoe choice based on what overload the trailer!

Question: on that video the pin weight went down while axle weight went up and they said 800 lbs overweight.

What if some of those people went up front? Weight comes off the trailer, and goes on truck. Then the weight falls back into place?

Is 15% the new norm for pin box?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #32
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Pretty cool, now I’ll just hand the app to HW and she can base her shoe choice based on what overload the trailer!

Question: on that video the pin weight went down while axle weight went up and they said 800 lbs overweight.

What if some of those people went up front? Weight comes off the trailer, and goes on truck. Then the weight falls back into place?

Is 15% the new norm for pin box?
THe GVW of the trailer is the weight on the axles and pin, overload is overload no matter how it's loaded.

The system also looks at pin weight as a % of total weight and they, Keystone, set the parameters. The 15% must be the minimum they will accept. Remember they are in a show setting.
Here is one last video from that show.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #33
cookinwitdiesel

I got to see a (locked) 2020 Silverado HD Work Truck at the Washington Auto Show this week.

Quick few things to report, the interior dash layout looks identical to the new 1500s (viewed through window). The step in front of the rear wheel was easy to use. The DEF fill port is now behind a larger door right next to the diesel fill port. The mirrors look pretty slick.

I did sit in the new 1500 and look at that and it seemed pretty nice as well (jealous of push-to-start). Whenever in my truck the keys are constantly rocking and clinking against the dash (and I only have truck remote, truck key, house key, truck lid key - not a crazy key chain).
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone