Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Lazy-ike

Sour odor

Have a new 2019 Cougar 315RLS fifth wheel. After using for about 2 weeks noticed a strong sour odor coming from the vents on front of steps leading to bathroom and bedroom. No odor coming from drains, floor vents or outside hatches. The odor starts early evening and gets stronger with time and goes away by early morning. Have checked battery and do not leave tank valves open. Has anyone else encountered this problem with a new unit?
Lazy-ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Frank G

Open up some covers and poke a flashlight in there. Careful if you think it might be the propane smell. The covers in the garage are held on with a couple of screws.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
bobbecky

You might be smelling out-gassing of some of the materials in the rig, and maybe during the day when it’s warmer the odor is stronger because the gassing happens more, then less when it’s cooler. It’s even mentioned in the Keystone manual about this happening.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:28 AM   #4
CrazyCain

Ditto to bobbecky, my trailer was like that when i first bought it. I compare it to the "new car smell" though a different smell.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
14george

I agree with above by the way welcome to the fourm from Wv
Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
7Iron

Another 315RLS owner, that makes three of us so far, me , you and Apalinto
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:39 PM   #7
SFR072

smell

Hello Lazy-ike. Did you ever figure out what the source of the odor was?

I have a similar smell that recently appeared in my 2015 Cougar trailer. It seems to be in the front area of the trailer, and most noticeable when entering the trailer from outside. At first I thought it might be the black tank, but that wasn't it. I've also ruled out that its not anything in the cupboards, garbage, sink drains, propane, fridge, etc. I've also inspected the roof to make sure the smell isn't coming from a leaking roof, and there are zero signs of any water damage in the ceiling although the smell sure reminds me of a sour musty wood odor.

Any help or direction would be much appreciated as I'm kind of at a loss here.

Not sure if its of any relavence or not, but I did have the front of the trailer tilted up at a pretty good angle for a few weeks time this winter and it snowed a 4-6 inches. The smell seemed to start shortly after this timeframe. Is it possible that water from snow melt drained into my AC unit area, and then into the ceiling or something weird like that? Idk
SFR072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:27 AM   #8
LHaven

Do your vents connect with any storage areas?

I noticed a sort of "sour milk" smell coming from my cargo compartment this year. About a month ago, I extracted everything from my cargo compartment, removed all duplicate items (extension cords, wash brushes, 50A dogbones, etc.), downsized mostly empty buckets into smaller buckets, and so on. I created a good amount of free space, and the compartment finally smelled clean after I put everything back in. Now it smells musty again. It's probably something like leftover gray water in the gray water hose, or maybe the black water fittings.

Anyway, if your vents have storage compartments on the other side, think about it.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:47 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The OP has not logged on since he posted 3 years ogo so it's unlikely he will answer.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:56 AM   #10
Balvar24

I use one of those large plastic coffee cans for my black water fittings. Everyone in a while I put a drop or two of bleach in there with the fittings to curb any odors. Some rubber gaskets don't care for bleach, but everything seems to be holding up.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:17 AM   #11
jxnbbl

I have one of those orange home depot buckets with the gasket lid for all my tank fittings....hoses are outside the unit.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:36 AM   #12
SFR072

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Do your vents connect with any storage areas?

I noticed a sort of "sour milk" smell coming from my cargo compartment this year. About a month ago, I extracted everything from my cargo compartment, removed all duplicate items (extension cords, wash brushes, 50A dogbones, etc.), downsized mostly empty buckets into smaller buckets, and so on. I created a good amount of free space, and the compartment finally smelled clean after I put everything back in. Now it smells musty again. It's probably something like leftover gray water in the gray water hose, or maybe the black water fittings.

Anyway, if your vents have storage compartments on the other side, think about it.
thanks for the pointers. My vents don't connect with any compartments, and the inside compartments are pretty clean and smell ok. I also have a RBSWE btw, but the 28' model. I did forget that I have a forward grey tank for the galley that i didn't flush when I ruled out the tanks being the source. I'm going to full them up today to see if that solved the problem. Hoping the gray tanks are maybe dry and smelling from winter storage maybe??
SFR072 is offline   Reply With Quote