Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #61
Freeheel4life

Lol, she's a good navigator
We are lucky thay our boss is a dog lover. Mine are back in the shop most of the time. He brings his golden. She's a great kid distractor while moms and dads are doing the stuff that takes times like signing docs.
The UPS guy has them all trained that's for sure. The Fed Ex guy doesn't bring treats but they follow him around like he has some. They recognize the uniform and the truck and figure treats.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
It's already been said but there are good dog "parents" and not so good. I take my dogs just about everywhere that they are ALLOWED. If they aren't allowed they are in the truck, trailer, or home.
We get that not everyone wants our dog to meet them so they are on leash when around people. Off leash when away from camp, other dogs, and people. Getting dogs off the leash is one of the reasons we go camping.
As far as dogs and food, we take our dogs to brunch occasionally on an outdoor patio that allows dogs. They are on leash and lay next to us at the table. Not sniffing others plates or harassing other patrons or begging for food. So I guess I don't see the problem with having them at an outdoor food establishment where the management approves.

Curious if theres any part of this program that sounds offensive to others that have responded here.
This big girl loves to make sure I'm taking my time on the forklift.
I had said in a previous post that dogs don't belong in restaurants. With that I meant enclosed, crowded type restaurants. Even IF they are allowed. There are too many folks with phobias, allergies etc. for the owner to insist that they take their dog into something like that. All we as dog owners do then is reinforce their dislike of us and the animals and perpetuate the stories of "THOSE people" (dog owners). There is no valid reason to try to do that; the dog doesn't have to be with the owner; it doesn't have to go inside so it can eat...or lay down. It's there because the owner WANTS it to be.....because. My dog can legally go anywhere I do, but I don't because most of the time it isn't a necessity - and it can, and has, really upset people. No need for that unless it can't be avoided.

As far as the question if anything about what you said is offensive....not to me. To me there is a distinction between an outdoor type setting on a patio etc. in a dog friendly establishment vs one like I described above - as long as the animals are good and they are on a leash. There is a place in Pagosa Springs with a patio by the river that has some great cinnamon rolls. We like to take our dog with us there and so do other folks. The water bowls are out and they have treats for them. It is open so I don't worry about folks with allergies; after that, in that environment, if a person just doesn't like dogs....they probably shouldn't be there since that is what the place promotes.

And yes, by looking at that puppy's face I think she is all but begging to get her hands....err, paws, on the controls! She looks like my pup; watches every move I make when driving the vehicle; if she thinks I'm pushing the wrong button, or pulling the wrong lever, she perks her ears and cocks her head as if to say "hey, that's not right...do you know what you're doing?", then looks at me with ears up and a piercing stare. Then, I have to double check everything to make sure I didn't make a mistake (just kidding). One of these days I'm just going to have to get in the passenger seat and let her take a spin.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #63
sourdough
Site Team

Dogs everywhere....but pigs??

This thread has been about dogs, where they go, should go etc. To lighten things up, what about taking a pig for a ride?....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/20...ed-by-pig.html
Old 05-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #64
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just for reference, the only question that can be asked about service animals is if it is a service animal. If the answer is yes then that's the end of the discussion. So just as a note, dont yo IP and pet a service animal. They are working, many times to make sure their owner is safe.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #65
SAABDOCTOR

NOPE I AM WITH YOU TOO. I HAVE TWO DOGS THEY GO WITH US EVERYPLACE BUT NEVER IN THE FOOD STORE OR EATING ESTABLISMENTS. I LOVE DOGS ALMOST MORE THAN SOME PEOPLE. BUT I WOULD NEVER THINK THAT ALL PEOPLE SHOULD LOVE MY DOGS. WHEN WE GO FOOD SHOPING ONE OF US STAYS IN THE CAR WITH THE PUPS.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #66
Ruffus

Exclamation Service Dogs

Hey TT
Service dogs are suppose to be vested and ID'ed and a real trained service animal would not be peeing on plants in a store or up on a counter sniffing the meat. The problem here is that people can go on line and register their animal for fifty dollars as a service animal because of the way the ADA is written. The other problem and really the biggest problem is that the people at the stores and restaurants and other establishments are not trained or do not know the law because they have never taken the time to read it and are scared that if they refuse a person and their dog they will be chastised in the news or even lose their job. It's really a shame that our law makers did not research what they were writing when they passed the law. Those of us that need them appreciate what was done for us and but the law needs some fine tuning because human nature is that if someone can take advantage of a law and save a dollar they are going to try.
A disabled Vet's point of view.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #67
LuvsPalmTrees

Well - Interesting thread. I have always taken the furry friend camping with us. When we leave she usually stays at the trailer and we put all the blinds up so she can see. Pet owners that are not responsible are making it bad for us that are. We had one that had to be in a kennel when we left the trailer, and our first one you could leave her and she was no problem. The people camping next to us did not even know we had a dog (she was in a pop-up). I would never let my dog bark or charge anyone while I am camping. Our dogs always stay on a tie-down when they are in camp and a leash when they are not. They only get to come with us if they are allowed to be at the establishment. No bars, foodie places, stores, etc.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #68
fla-gypsy

I do not own pets. I subscribe to the founders ideals of liberty. If having pets with you all the time is your pursuit of happiness then that’s fine with me. However your right to pursue that happiness ends if it infringes on my pursuit. Businesses that allow animals in rarely get my patronage
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #69
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Hey TT
Service dogs are suppose to be vested and ID'ed and a real trained service animal would not be peeing on plants in a store or up on a counter sniffing the meat. The problem here is that people can go on line and register their animal for fifty dollars as a service animal because of the way the ADA is written. The other problem and really the biggest problem is that the people at the stores and restaurants and other establishments are not trained or do not know the law because they have never taken the time to read it and are scared that if they refuse a person and their dog they will be chastised in the news or even lose their job. It's really a shame that our law makers did not research what they were writing when they passed the law. Those of us that need them appreciate what was done for us and but the law needs some fine tuning because human nature is that if someone can take advantage of a law and save a dollar they are going to try.
A disabled Vet's point of view.
I think owners of service dogs need to be careful of what they wish for. In my conversations with lawmakers about the ADA regarding service dogs, the language is left open and rather vague for a reason - to give deference to those with disabilities that require a service dog and not cause them a hard time. If the law were written with a hundred qualifiers before you could use your dog then it would become so onerous to try to take it with you that you couldn't, or wouldn't, and those that didn't want that animal with you could make your life miserable trying to prove the law allowed you to have it. That is what the law is trying to avoid to my understanding.

In my earlier post I mentioned that the business owners just asking the 2 questions allowed by the ADA would deter a lot of abusers and I think you agree. Personally, I don't think more laws trying to complicate the use of a service dog are required. I do think that if it is an issue for a business owner they should learn the law and ask the questions.

As far as the IDs and vests; one poster said it was a dead giveaway that they were "fake". That's not true. The animal should have the vest and ID anytime it is "working". My dog knows the vest and she's trained to know it means she's working in public. And yes, any dog that pees on flowers, raises up on counters, runs all over the place or anything else like that IS NOT a service dog. YMMV
Old 05-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #70
POBOYPCB

Love my own dog, but don't think I can require you to! I'm a great fan of REAL service animals, i.e., seeing eye dogs, those who alert on pending seizures, etc., but the " emotional support" thing has become a farce. I recently encountered an "emotional support" CHICKEN in a store. Try housebreaking that one! Those laws need some fine tuning!
POBOYPCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #71
md_procouple

Service Animals etc..

I guess it time to "jump" into the fray... My wife and I both have a medical condition, and have had 2 service dogs over the years, our last one has gone to "Doggy Heaven" and we are expecting a "New" dog. We choose to have a small to medium size dog because of our lifestyle. Yes our dogs have been service trained, Yes they are tagged, and well marked as service dogs. We have on special occasions allowed a person to pet our dogs, but ONLY after they have asked ( Normally an older person or ones with very small children), No we do not allow our dog to be the center of attention, after all he is "working" We have and still do put our dog in the "Cart" more for his safety then ours BUT we also have a small bed for him to use while there. All of our service dogs are well trained, and behave better than most peoples children. The bottom line... We would rather have our dog with us than most peoples kids. By the way We have even taken our dog on cruises without a problem. and like we stated, they have both behaved better than other peoples kids !!!
md_procouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #72
packnrat

now i am going to bring boxes to put my food into while i shop.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #73
POBOYPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Since Travelin Texan found it necessary to be so grumpy, I think I'll just jump on the bandwagon and pound one more nail in this coffin. Earlier it was said "Emotional support animals are NOT Service Animals." I concur 100%. If you can't feel good about yourself in a restaurant without Fifi at your side then stay in the car. No way I'm buying in to the term "Emotional Support Animal." Bogus as a football bat!
We have on occasion visited Bisbee, Arizona. A fun little city and very dog-friendly. As near as I know dogs are welcome in most of the casual bars and restaurants in town (probably not all.) There you know it in advance and can deal with it.
I don't know where America is headed, but why is it so hot in here, and what exactly is a "hand-basket?"
Probably my favorite response here! Right on!
POBOYPCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #74
packnrat

i am very much a dog person. they are better than most humans.
my girls were very well behaved. i did take them places and they got to do things, meet other dogs( cats, etc). and loved all the petting they got from kids ( kiddy day care) and grownups. ( adult day care). and "other" places.

but never did i clame them to be something they are not.
nore did they ever go into anyplace storing, selling food. for human needs.
pet store yes.
no mater how well behaved any dog is. they do not belong in a lot of places.
and old ladys with there rat dogs in a big purse. leave the pup at home.
then there are the cats. even worse.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #75
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
then there are the cats. even worse.
Be careful. My cat is very well behaved and trained. NO he doesn’t go into food establishments, but he also sits patiently at the dinette window without making a ruckus, and doesn’t tell the rest of the campground we have returned.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #76
ptooti

I think if you saw some of the people cooking in the back of those restaurants some of them have way more disgusting gross habits than any dogs and are handling your food...ick and I have seen more rotten kids than dogs terrorizing the campgrounds again its the parents whether they be kid parents or dog parents some good and probably more bad.
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #77
gearhead

So we have doggy heaven, doggy daddy, doggy parents.
Hand basket indeed.
Walt Disney would be happy I guess.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #78
Pull Toy

Not trying to steal the thread..........but...

Used to be... "OUTSIDE BEVERAGES or FOOD" were a NO-NO! (Not to mention " NO SHUES, NO SHIRT, NO SERVICE"), Now there's a cup holder on your handlebar! I can probably live with this... but then the STARBUCKS PIGS leave their empties on the meat counters, complete with Lip Stick, and who knows what else, or where they've been!!!

REALLY !!! To Good for Trash Cans, I guess? /used to have a male dog who marked his territory too!

p.s. I always check to see if my "GIRLS" are welcome, and never anywhere near food products, or restaurants! Home Depot, Lowes, etc..., no prob! Great opportunity to teach socialization skills. Makes for a better CAMPER DOG, when the neighbors are 10 feet away!!!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #79
Northofu1

This is what I am looking for to bring camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1527111884343_FB_IMG_1526796170142 (1).jpg