Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Instant Pot - Air Fryers

I carry lots of "cooking stuff" in the RV since I'm the primary cooker. My daughter wanted an Instant Pot for Christmas and told us all the wonderful things about it....I was skeptical but I bought her the nicest 8qt. they had. Within a few weeks she was telling us how wonderful it was; using it every day; didn't need a pressure cooker and the other devices. I wrote it off as trying to sound appreciative.

Over the next 3 months we were there she talked about it most every day. We went over several times and she used it for meals for us telling us it was her main cooking device. I said what?? Give me my skillets, pressure and rice cookers etc. No way this "thing" is going to improve on that. Fast forward to yesterday;

After listening/watching to my daughter I decided I would buy the Instant Pot for the trailer if it would work to replace our pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer and slow cooker. Well I tried it this evening on a potato, sausage, kale soup and I have to say I'm impressed. Used the saute, pressure and simmer modes and it was pretty impressive. I'm going to try it a few more times before I put it in the trailer and remove the other cooking items, but, it might be something that might come in handy for some of you. But, it won't take the place of my induction cookers.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
BigTexRex

It's a staple in most RVs.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
Frank G

Corned Beef, Cabbage, Carrots & Potatoes.

2-3 Cups Water, Corned Beef, Spices 90min Meat/High setting

Open add Vegies Cook additional 10 min Meat/High

Invite the Neighbors over

Total Time 2.25 Hours.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
Gegrad

Thumbs up

Yeah, we have one for the house and DW loves it. We mostly use it for pressure cooking to cook potatoes faster and for soups. It is also nice to to be able to saute onions/garlic first for a soup, then add everything and pressure cook it for a one pot meal. We made yogurt once but it didn't thicken up properly, so we need to try that again. We have not taken it in the trailer, however (we just keep a standard slow cooker in there). Good choice on getting one.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
EagleandFox

My hubby bought the Instant Pot and loves it! (He's a much better cook than I am!) We plan on bringing it with us camping when we know we are going to make our shrimp foil packets - it will save us a ton of time when par-boiling the corn and potatoes. (and save on propane..!) I'm sure there will be other camping fare he'll think of to use it for too. So far at home he's made soups, roasts, chicken dishes and even cheesecake!
EagleandFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, it seems I was a little behind the curve on the Instant Pot. After visiting with my daughter I find it's been out quite some time and has a very large following. Wife mentioned it to one of our friends we met in FL and he just sent her a recipe he uses in his all the time....who knew?

Now, about that air fryer? Our neighbor in FL swore by hers and used it almost every day. Her husband swore the fried chicken was better than conventional...?? Is that another "new" device we've missed as well? I looked at some of the reviews for them but couldn't convince myself to get one. I changed the title to the thread to include the air fryer so I wouldn't hijack my own thread.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
DMJTerry

I bought an Instant Pot and have yet to use it. I've heard how valuable they are when camping ...just need to get motivated to use it!
DMJTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
Steveo57

We have one and don't use it as much as I would like to. I think too many people get intimidated by all the buttons but it's really not that complicated.

Our most recent recipe was to cook a couple of corned beef dinners as mentioned above. They came out great!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
vampress_me

So, once again I’ll be the idiot asking questions. Cooking potatoes? As in baked potatoes, or potatoes to mash or ? I’ve been looking at getting an InstantPot for the House, but am not sure I’d use it enough so have been sitting on the fence for a while.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
So, once again I’ll be the idiot asking questions. Cooking potatoes? As in baked potatoes, or potatoes to mash or ? I’ve been looking at getting an InstantPot for the House, but am not sure I’d use it enough so have been sitting on the fence for a while.
You can use it as a slow cooker like a Crock-Pot or as a pressure cooker. Also can saute in it.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
You have the same questions I did/do. So far, looking at recipes, and watching my daughter, it seems like it will add some convenience. The recipe I cooked last night called for sautéing some vegetables, adding stock then raw cut up potatoes. The object was to put in a little wand blender to puree the vegetables were done. Cooked everything in the same pot; when the raw potatoes went in you close the lid and set it for a soup, set pressure to 2 minutes and start. It pressures up very quickly and in shortly over TWO minutes it beeps and its done. Release the pressure and puree it with the wand. The potatoes were very soft. So far, so good, and that was impressive; but I've got lots to learn.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #12
Gegrad

Quote:
We use it to make crash potatoes... red potatoes in the instant pot for 20-25 minutes, then put on a baking sheet. Smash them with a masher so they are kind of flat, drizzle with olive oil, then back at 425 for 35 minutes. Crispy and amazing.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
Camp Cookie

check out Pressure Luck on you tube, fella makes some wonderful meals, is very entertaining to watch and is very educational. Learned a lot from his videos. I have tried several of his recipes and he does it step by step so if your new to IP or have been using one for a long time,
Camp Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Did these ribs in the Instant Pot when it was 4 degrees this winter. Outstanding and easy! Click image for larger version

Name:	1517189579170.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	16183

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #15
lesleyinky

My fav shortcut is using it when I️ need shredded chicken! I️ just put my boneless skinless tenders or breast in there with a little seasoning and water and cook for around 12 min. Let the pressure slow release and then shred the meat. Super moist chicken for casseroles, salads, etc.! Clean up is a breeze as well.
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 AM   #16
notanlines

To further report on Decrash's crash potatoes. We picked this up from Pioneer Woman's TV show years ago. Yes, a little of her goes a long way, but she makes GREAT comfort food. Her husband probably goes about 350 or so....ah, maybe not. But I digress. Here is the site:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1976810
And Chip? Do your friends know you have done your ribs in a pressure cooker? And I suppose they were "fall-off-the-bone tender?" Betty Crocker would have been soooo proud! BBQ teams all over have just now realized you've set Kansas City back ten years!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:38 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
To further report on Decrash's crash potatoes. We picked this up from Pioneer Woman's TV show years ago. Yes, a little of her goes a long way, but she makes GREAT comfort food. Her husband probably goes about 350 or so....ah, maybe not. But I digress. Here is the site:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1976810
And Chip? Do your friends know you have done your ribs in a pressure cooker? And I suppose they were "fall-off-the-bone tender?" Betty Crocker would have been soooo proud! BBQ teams all over have just now realized you've set Kansas City back ten years!
They put the same smile on my face as the meats at Q39 (best in KC) without freezing my XL sized tushy off. And, yep, they were tender. Fall off the bone, and with a few minutes in the broiler, they had crunchy edges. In January, I'll take that. And, I wouldn't take these to the American Royal to compete, but I do love going there to watch. That's some serious 'Queing!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #18
notanlines

I guess I better let you ride on this one except for one thing: Winning ribs at contests are not "fall off the bone tender." Man, some of these teams get a little "out there" with an activity that used to be fun!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #19
RK1978

I'm sorry, I clicked on this with another type of pot in mind and wondered about the instant part...but this item sounds like it would be worth looking into. Recipes sound good.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
cpaulsen

Have had ours for quite a while in our 5th wheel. No more crock pot........it is way to easy to use and fast.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote