Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
1tenor

Non-Ethanol Fuel

Anyone running their tow vehicle on non-ethanol fuel? Do you get more power using it? My tow vehicle is somewhat underpowered and I need all the extra HP I can get.
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tenor View Post
Anyone running their tow vehicle on non-ethanol fuel? Do you get more power using it? My tow vehicle is somewhat underpowered and I need all the extra HP I can get.
You'll probably get better mileage, but don't think it will improve hp/performance as it's the same octane rating. Might try mid grade or premium, but doubt you'll notice enough difference to offset the price.
Don't know what you're towing or with what, but the only sure fix is less rv or more truck.
Personally for towing any 8k+ rv I'd chose a diesel, they are work horses, quiet, get as good mpg as a gasser, will out tow any gasser & come as well equipped as any vehicle built.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Badbart56

What Danny said! Diesel is the way to go. The diesel engines are designed to tow with less effort that the gassers. They rely on low RPM torque rather than just horsepower. Dealers would sell more of them if they could arrange a test drive with a 12K load behind it.

But in answer to your question, minimal difference in mileage or power. I don't know that you would realize either when towing.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #4
mtofell

Most non-ethanol fuel I've seen is 92 octane so it may help a bit over 87 (depending on your truck). I did notice improved MPGs and maybe.... maybe a bit more power but nothing too noticeable. I certainly wouldn't do it as a planned way to increase power.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
linux3

Last week while in TN I bought 87 octane 100% gas. $2.44.9 a gal BTW.
I usually get around 11 ~ 11.5 MPG with the 10% corn stuff. I was getting 13.5 MPG. I was amazed!
Twice I filled up with the good stuff and results were consistent.

I THINK the truck felt peppier but that could have just been my joy at the MPG
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #6
SummitPond

87 octane no ethanol gas at a Shell station in Mitchell, SD about a month ago at $2.849/gal. I believe it was only about a nickel more expensive than the ethanol blend. Got about 1/2 mpg better over the ethanol blend. Not sure if I would have gone with the pure gas if it was a larger cost differential, but at that small difference I wanted to see what "improvement" would result. As stated above, normally it's not worth it.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Most non-ethanol fuel I've seen is 92 octane so it may help a bit over 87 (depending on your truck). I did notice improved MPGs and maybe.... maybe a bit more power but nothing too noticeable. I certainly wouldn't do it as a planned way to increase power.
The 92 octane will be the premium/super regardless if it's the ethanol blend or 100% good stuff.
The ethanol blend is 10% ethanol which will equate to approximately a 10% lose in fuel mileage. The E85 is even cheaper per gallon, but will result in even a bigger lose in mpg.
Also the ethanol blended fuel is very hard on small engines that tend to sit idle for long periods of time. If you've ever seen honey that has crystallized from sitting around, that's ethanol in your lawn mower over the winter. Always be sure to add a fuel stabilizer to your small engine fuel tanks & to the jugs used to refill those tanks. Or better yet buy the 100% good stuff for those engines.
I spent 30+ years in the oil/gas field & the only conclusion I can come up with for the use of ethanol in our fuel is to create a market for corn.
Not trying to get political, just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel