Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post
Well, made my first trip with the new camper over the holiday. 900 mile round trip through KY and WV, with my quad in the bed, truck performed perfectly and camper pulled straight and smooth, even the ride was nice. I was able to comfortably maintain 65-70 and 60 up most steep inclines, only draw back was 8MPG most of the way but Ill take the fuel milage trade off for a nice comfortable upgrade over my old pop up!
Did you happen to stop by a CAT scale to see just how overloaded your rig might be? It sounds like you've pretty much ignored the "be careful" advice and possibly thrown caution to the wind. If you are overweight, as many here suspect you are, then as long as everything goes well, you'll be OK. Let a car cut you off, a child on a bicycle dart out in front of you, a unsuspected "panic stop" or "a crisis avoidance maneuver" and you may not be able to avoid the obstacle in the way. If you do have an accident, you'll want to know that your rig is "within rated standards". The only way to know that is at a CAT scale.

I'd urge you to not do the "head in the sand" approach, but actually park on the platform, pay your $12 and know your real world weights. Trust me when I say that if you do get into an accident, chances are very good that the other involved people and their insurance company will be looking at everything they can find to force you and your insurance company to pay for their losses.

https://www.justaccidentlaw.com/moto...s-motor-homes/
https://www.personalinjuryclaimsblaw...ity-for-rvers/
https://www.firstinjuryhelp.com/AA/0...SAAEgKz4fD_BwE

The above are just a few of the many "ambulance chasing attorneys" websites. There's one or more in any and every town and they're all looking to get what you've got and "share the spoils" with their clients.

Protect yourself and know what your rig weighs and whether (how much) you're overweight.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #22
racetech

Yup, 10,897 lbs. No where near my 15K CVWR. And this was with no water, and empty gas cans I decided to fill when I got to my destination for the quad and generator. As for payload capacity I didnt have time to do all the weights for that but just using some quick numbers I know for sure such as me and my sons weight and weight of quad and tongue weight I was under in that respect also with about 400 lbs to spare. The weight police can rest easy!

Tags
silverado