Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
curlyfungirl

Leak in slideout closet

We have had a lot of rain lately here in Vermont. Yesterday I opened the closet that is part of the bed slide out. The carpet was all wet. I did not feel any moisture on the walls or the ceiling of the closet. There are not any water pipes attached to the slideout. Any ideas of where the leak came from? I did a roof inspection and there are no tears. Would rain have blown in under the rubber protector on the outside? Thanks for the input.
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Maybe it came in through the slide out seal. You may want to take a look at that. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose that I've been "lucky" when it comes to slide leaks. I've never had a mechanical leak, but have had several times when water would enter a slide. All of mine have been caused by the exterior slide seal not completely unfolding against the slide roof or sidewall. Even a 2 or 3 inch area where the rubber seal is "folded in on itself" is all it takes for cascading water to seep into the slide and wet the carpet. Any more, when extending the slides, I just doublecheck to make sure all the seals are completely "folded out" and not twisted or "folded in".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:08 AM   #4
spicercars

It is not the rubber seals on the out side of the slide. If they where to leak the floor in the bedroom would be wet not the floor in the slide. Your problem is on the bottom corners of the slide there are two pieces of angle (one on each side) that run from the out side to the inside of the slide. look at the caulk seem on top of them and you will probably see a crack in the caulk. Easy fix. I can take some pictures if you need them. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
curlyfungirl

Thanks so much spicecars. That was the problem!
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
curlyfungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
mitig8r

I would like to add an additional question to this thread, if I might? We have a very wet floor in the closet next to the bed. It's not part of the slide on our 5th wheel. The queen bed and (1) small hang up closet are at the front of our rig. Only area that is wet is the floor of this small closet, and it's happened twice after two hard rains. There are no windows, or rubber, so I don't know what to look for to caulk, or fix. Any suggestions?
mitig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitig8r View Post
I would like to add an additional question to this thread, if I might? We have a very wet floor in the closet next to the bed. It's not part of the slide on our 5th wheel. The queen bed and (1) small hang up closet are at the front of our rig. Only area that is wet is the floor of this small closet, and it's happened twice after two hard rains. There are no windows, or rubber, so I don't know what to look for to caulk, or fix. Any suggestions?
Do you have any clearance lights in that area? I'd start there. Have you checked your roof to make sure it is intact?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
mitig8r

Thank you for your suggestion. I had to come into town to get internet. I will check the outside of the RV for lights as soon as I get back to the camper.
mitig8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, slideout