Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Succinct towing info

I couldn't have said it better. Some good info to while away the winter doldrums and cabin fever.
https://youtu.be/-IBtVdr0Iyc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Hodgy

Good video, lots of common sense at the beginning. I got lost in all of the numbers he was giving on the mods he did to his truck. And oh yes, he ran a red.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Good video, thanks for posting. For folks new at towing I think it brings up lots of good info and the comments at the bottom are beneficial as well. Of course, there are still those that will swear by anything/everything to make themselves believe they are "OK". Good on you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

This fellow is ignorant! He started out commenting “legally” and he had no clue what “legally” is. The door sticker has NO legal authority. It certifies that on the date of manufacture it met ... one can buy a brand new truck and before taking delivery can have the dealer install fancy after market rim and tires that no way met the specs of the sticker and be perfectly legal. My F150 is legal to 10,000lbs because that is what it is registered to even if the way it is set up there is no way I would load it to that.

Legal is what it is registered for. I could have registered it for 6000lbs if I would have wanted. I see 3/4 ton trucks that no way they could safely haul what the sticker says sitting sky high while going down the road with tires that would no doubt explode if loaded to sticker weights.

The sticker is used for extra taxation/fees if over 26000 lbs even if truck is heavily modified for show purposes and unable. The local milk haulers buy class 8 trucks and add an air axle or two and the door tag stays original and when stopped it is axle weights, not sticker weights law enforcement is concerned about.

The fellow making that video was so full of it I’m surprised he could breath.
Rolling Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Along View Post
This fellow is ignorant! He started out commenting “legally” and he had no clue what “legally” is. The door sticker has NO legal authority. It certifies that on the date of manufacture it met ... one can buy a brand new truck and before taking delivery can have the dealer install fancy after market rim and tires that no way met the specs of the sticker and be perfectly legal. My F150 is legal to 10,000lbs because that is what it is registered to even if the way it is set up there is no way I would load it to that.

Legal is what it is registered for. I could have registered it for 6000lbs if I would have wanted. I see 3/4 ton trucks that no way they could safely haul what the sticker says sitting sky high while going down the road with tires that would no doubt explode if loaded to sticker weights.

The sticker is used for extra taxation/fees if over 26000 lbs even if truck is heavily modified for show purposes and unable. The local milk haulers buy class 8 trucks and add an air axle or two and the door tag stays original and when stopped it is axle weights, not sticker weights law enforcement is concerned about.

The fellow making that video was so full of it I’m surprised he could breath.
I think I'm breathless too!!

I don't know everything there is to know but you have an F150 with a 10k gvw rating? Anymore there probably is one but, if you don't mind, what is yours? Pic of the sticker?

I do think I like the way you think...I think. As has been stated, and is in the books as I've seen, you can modify anything you want with heavier components but until you have that vehicle certified again the stickers still prevail (milk trucks adding extra axles and all of a sudden gain more weight capacity) as far as I know. Add an axle; throw on an extra 8k and you're overweight and get stopped. Do we think the transportation officer is going to crawl under the truck and try to find/read all the tags on the axles? I've not seen one that does it.....he reads the labels. What am I missing?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Oh oh! Here we go! This will be good. We've not had this discussion before. Everybody play nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Oh oh! Here we go! This will be good. We've not had this discussion before. Everybody play nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I was thinking it had been a week or so since we talked about this stuff so maybe we could talk about it....again

Actually the post brings up some things that come up from time to time that are interesting to discuss. Playing nice here, just looking for feedback.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
notanlines

We like ours with real butter, but just lightly salted.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
JimQ

Jim , I just got an aisle seat behind you. Let the feature begin! Lol
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Being a member of the weight police that actually was trained and weighted vehicles, I will say that there are many trucks that have a aftermarket co. certified the trucks to a higher or lower weight ratings, they apply a sticker that shows that. It is a federal standards sticker, same as the factory white one theirs are yellow. Most common on all trucks sold as a cab/chassis IE frame rails only. Then the motorhome co or truck co adds a box, bed, etc and puts their sticker on the truck. Added tag axles on vehicles over 26,001 is another such truck. If looking at a comm vehicle 10,000 plus, 1st is the declared weight done at DMV or PUC office. 2nd count and check size of all wheels/tires on ground for weight carrying ability. Maybe measure axle spread in feet. Check weight on scale.
Always some common sense applies, when a f350 comes though that says 10,000 lbs but, the guy added wide fenders and another wheel/tire on rear axles it will now go GVW to around 12,500 depending on the tires. In that case, I could never win a case of overloaded in court when the guy shows the the court what he did and how it increased the carrying weight.
We just look for the proper weight he paid for which should be in that case 12,000 to 14,000, here you buy in 2,000 lbs, until the vehicle is over 13,500 it passes. Your state may be different. Here if under 26,001 the driver/owner tells DMV what his GVW is, since more weight costs more money, many get tickets for not paying proper weight but, real GVW of truck is not overloaded.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
gearhead

Hold the butter, just a little Tony's on mine.
I know everywhere is different but...we don't choose what weight we register our trucks for. I don't think anyway. We buy a truck, a couple weeks later we get the plates. A year later we get the renewal notice, go pay $78 or whatever and get the new sticker. I never had a clerk ask me what weight I wanted it registered for. It is what it is. Can't be much difference between a half ton and a dually. I never noticed or got alarmed at the license cost.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
CWSWine

According to the highway traffic safety admin. 49 CFR 567.7 says that a trailer or truck certification cannot be changed once the vehicle has been sold. It could go to a certified shop and be changed before the first sale and then have another sticker put on the vehicle next to the original sticker. After the unit has been sold once any changes made the owner is using that vehicle at their own risk.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We like ours with real butter, but just lightly salted.....

Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on your popcorn too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Hold the butter, just a little Tony's on mine.
I know everywhere is different but...we don't choose what weight we register our trucks for. I don't think anyway. We buy a truck, a couple weeks later we get the plates. A year later we get the renewal notice, go pay $78 or whatever and get the new sticker. I never had a clerk ask me what weight I wanted it registered for. It is what it is. Can't be much difference between a half ton and a dually. I never noticed or got alarmed at the license cost.
One thing I miss about Tejas, is vehicle registration cost. $1200+ for my F350 in Colorado. DW's Explorer was $800+. That is a year mind you . . .
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
One thing I miss about Tejas, is vehicle registration cost. $1200+ for my F350 in Colorado. DW's Explorer was $800+. That is a year mind you . . .
Front range mania run amok IMO. I've loved the state since the 60's but things have sure gone downhill.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #16
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think I'm breathless too!!

I don't know everything there is to know but you have an F150 with a 10k gvw rating? Anymore there probably is one but, if you don't mind, what is yours? Pic of the sticker?

I do think I like the way you think...I think. As has been stated, and is in the books as I've seen, you can modify anything you want with heavier components but until you have that vehicle certified again the stickers still prevail (milk trucks adding extra axles and all of a sudden gain more weight capacity) as far as I know. Add an axle; throw on an extra 8k and you're overweight and get stopped. Do we think the transportation officer is going to crawl under the truck and try to find/read all the tags on the axles? I've not seen one that does it.....he reads the labels. What am I missing?
People think that register their truck for more than the GVWR increases their allowed GVWR on the truck and they nice gray hair lady behind the counter down the state office can allow a truck to exceed the factory ratings. Ever state I have check you pay for tags to tow GCWR, not GVWR. My 1 ton was registered for 28M (28,000 pounds) that doesn't mean I can load 28,000 pounds in the back of the 1 ton pickup, all that means it's by combine weight between my truck and trailer could not exceed 28,000 but all specs on the Federal Compliance Sticker like GVWR, GAWR still can't be exceeded while carrying the 28,000 GCWR. The last truck I carried a 12M (12,000 pounds) since they only thing I hauled was RV and they were exempt in my state for the tag weight requirements.

The yellow tag on your door jam is not a legal since you can load more weight then on the sticker. The Federal Compliance Sticker and the listing of the GVWR on your trucks title are legal docs. Say you remove the bed on your truck which would decreade your curb weight below what is was when it left the factory and attach your hitch to the frame you could exceed the yellow sticker but still stuck with GVWR.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
People think that register their truck for more than the GVWR increases their allowed GVWR on the truck and they nice gray hair lady behind the counter down the state office can allow a truck to exceed the factory ratings. Ever state I have check you pay for tags to tow GCWR, not GVWR. My 1 ton was registered for 28M (28,000 pounds) that doesn't mean I can load 28,000 pounds in the back of the 1 ton pickup, all that means it's by combine weight between my truck and trailer could not exceed 28,000 but all specs on the Federal Compliance Sticker like GVWR, GAWR still can't be exceeded while carrying the 28,000 GCWR. The last truck I carried a 12M (12,000 pounds) since they only thing I hauled was RV and they were exempt in my state for the tag weight requirements.

The yellow tag on your door jam is not a legal since you can load more weight then on the sticker. The Federal Compliance Sticker and the listing of the GVWR on your trucks title are legal docs. Say you remove the bed on your truck which would decreade your curb weight below what is was when it left the factory and attach your hitch to the frame you could exceed the yellow sticker but still stuck with GVWR.
States register vehicles different ways, I know in Washington you can register to a higher GVWR, than listed on the VIN sticker. That is the GVWR for the vehicle not a combined weight of truck and trailer.
I have not dug into it in Oregon yet.
The yellow idiot sticker is only of value when looking at a new TV on the dealers lot! Once in the hands of the owner stuff added or removed from the TV change that number.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:34 AM   #18
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post

In Ohio to register a pickup commercially one must register the GCW of truck and trailer so if I was to do what I used to I would be required to have my F150 registered for 14,000lbs. Since I don’t I have it for 10,000 lbs. anything over 10k one is by law required to also have a fuel tax number, and sticker and pay the commercial fuel tax. When I talked personally to the head of the state DOT I asked him how all the F250/350 landscape/lawncare folks were getting by with out the fuel sticker he said! “It’s the law but we just haven’t started enforcing it yet.”
Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
Rolling Along
Gone Traveling

There are a couple questions I would like to ask those who say the door tag is a legal weight limit. Let me check your reading comprehension.

1. What is the exact wording and what does that wording mean?
2. The sticker states a certain tire and air pressure yet the vehicle comes from the factory with a different size tire then stated on the sticker.
A. Is it legal?
B. Why or why not?
3. A farmer buys a ‘17 F150 and while loading a big round bale the grabber drops the bale and crushes the cab. The dealer wants a outrageous price for a new cab so the farmer goes to a local junk yard and finds a ‘17 F250/350 cab which is the same for a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted for a new one. He mounts it on his F150 chassis but doesn’t like the color so he paints the cab to the color of the fenders and bed of the F150.
A. Can he legally drive that vehicle as the sticker color doesn’t match the actual color?
B. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the engine code nor transmission code doesn’t match the engine or transmission?
C. Can he legally drive the vehicle because the axle code doesn’t match the axle?
D. Can he legally drive the vehicle because of the GVWR?

Again what is the exact wording of the sticker and what does that wording mean?

Pass the popcorn please!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM   #20
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

Not to pry, but I am. Are those numbers per year to renew your licence plate tag ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing