Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2023, 11:07 AM   #1
claymation

Use of Propane Quick Connect (low pressure) with a Coleman Cooktop

Is there a way to safely connect a Coleman propane cooktop (or two) to the Quick Connect port on the side of my travel trailer?

The Coleman cooktop uses the small disposable canisters, which I believe have a proprietary regulator that supplies the gas at a pressure different than the 'low pressure' used for the appliances in the travel trailer.

Years ago I converted a few grills and cooktops I got from a burned down Deny's restaurant from natural gas to propane by swapping out the venturi. Has anyone successfully connected a Coleman stove to the quick connect system on their travel trailer? I hate to stop using these stoves from my tent camping days, but the cost of those little propane bottles... holy crap!

(I know I can refill the small bottles myself but it's inefficient and time consuming)

If there is no way, I'll probably end up purchasing a cooktop that works with the low pressure lines.
claymation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:20 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You need to get an adapter/hose for the Coleman stove that connects directly to the stove (eliminating the regulator) and then attaches to the quick connect on the trailer. On the Coleman I had I got the hose at Camping World.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
dutchmensport

There is only 1 model of Coleman that works (I don't remember which one that was now). You can purchase the quick connect adapters for the Coleman, but it still will not fire the stove correct. Don't waste your effort and your money. I spent enough of mine trying to find a fix for the both of us! I gave up and just stuck with the 1 pound canisters. (3 different Coleman stoves too!)
Old 08-22-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I had that same problem with my Napoleon BBQ...it also was set up for the little propane canisters...I had to order the conversion kit and hose that gets rid of the regulator on the BBQ. Just another thing I lived and learned...it won't work when you have two regulators
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:40 AM   #5
claymation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You need to get an adapter/hose for the Coleman stove that connects directly to the stove (eliminating the regulator) and then attaches to the quick connect on the trailer. On the Coleman I had I got the hose at Camping World.
The Quick Connect port on the side of the trailer is 'hard piped' back to the front of the camper and runs through that regulator. AKA: the quick connect port delivers the same (low) pressure the rest of the appliances get.

I think the only solution is an appliance that does not run on the "proprietary" pressure that Coleman requires.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:07 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymation View Post
The Quick Connect port on the side of the trailer is 'hard piped' back to the front of the camper and runs through that regulator. AKA: the quick connect port delivers the same (low) pressure the rest of the appliances get.

I think the only solution is an appliance that does not run on the "proprietary" pressure that Coleman requires.

Yes, they are proprietary and you don't want to have 2 regulators in line. When I got the hose at CW the parts guy went and got it for me and put it in a bundle of stuff when I bought the Roadtrip grill - said the hose was Coleman specific for the quick connect. As I think back I don't recall exactly how that hose went on there (been quite a few years and a lot of grills ago) but I believe I still have all that stuff at the barn and can go look later. I also don't recall even using it as I'm not a big fan of the quick connect on the trailer. I do recall giving the almost new grill with all the accessories to a guy walking by the trailer one day when I was unhappy with it.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:11 AM   #7
tallen

I know this is a little office topic, but I to got tired of them Colman small tanks, that i threw away after they were empty, and My Coleman stove did not have an adaptor/hose that you can get to make it work. This is what I did... I got this.... https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Re...07F9LCYRT?th=1

Love these things, and they are certified propane tanks. Just putting that out there.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #8
tallen

interesting thing, it shows I posted at 6PM today....lol odd since it was more like 11am or before that. hmmm

Old 08-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Bought a Coleman Roadtrip grill years ago when they first came out. Really liked the idea of having the ability to put the flat top griddle on one side while having the other half able to cook over the flames or use a pot. Used a small 5 lb cylinder at first then I cut the regulator off and brazed a QD in it's place. This was before an adapter was available.

After cooking chicken on it one time with the lid closed the handle on the lid melted. I called Coleman and they sent me a new handle and told me not to close the lid while using it as it wasn't designed for that. What? Are you kidding me? That's when I gave the whole thing, including the expensive zip up bag, grddle and other tops, away to a friend. A few years later I noticed they changed the lid so maybe they fixed that issue but by then I wasn't interested in lugging that heavy thing around any longer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:02 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I need to clarify my post #2. That hose from CW would not work on a Coleman best I can tell.

I thought I had that Coleman running off the QD on a different trailer but that has to be wrong; that new adapter hose is still in the unopened box it came in. I've got adapter hoses for other things and sure thought I ran that Roadtrip off the hose they gave me - but upon inspection it wouldn't work on a Coleman. I didn't even pay attention when they threw it in the basket. Sorry for the confusion.

Back to your dilemma; that adapter Tallen posted looks pretty handy and eliminates a bunch of that hoopla necessary to refill old, used 1lb. bottles. I read a bit on it and sounds pretty snazzy. Might be the best way to go if you keep the Colemans. I owned Colemans from about 1968-2017 or so. Still have two of the white gas models in another barn. Owned 2 LP types but was never happy with the burner regulation and heat from them if trying to grill (off 1lb. bottles). You could use a regular bbq (20lb) tank for the grills or get a different brand - lots of them out there.

You mentioned the regulator on the trailer vs the one on your Coleman. If you decided to pursue some sort of modification to make the Colemans work you should probably make sure they will run off the pressure coming from the RV. That's one of the reasons I don't use it. It seems too low on most things. I did change out the RV regulator to a Marshall Excelsior high flow unit but haven't checked it since doing that. I carry a Camp Chef Pro 60 with me now and when I tried the QD it was dismal. The high output burners would barely burn yellow. Run it on a 20lb tank dedicated to it and when I turn it up now it roars. Just some things to think about.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:21 AM   #11
claymation

Quote:
I do recall giving the almost new grill with all the accessories to a guy walking by the trailer one day when I was unhappy with it.
LOL. timing is everything!
Old 08-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #12
claymation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen View Post
I know this is a little office topic, but I to got tired of them Colman small tanks, that i threw away after they were empty, and My Coleman stove did not have an adaptor/hose that you can get to make it work. This is what I did... I got this.... https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-Re...07F9LCYRT?th=1

Love these things, and they are certified propane tanks. Just putting that out there.
So the big question: does one of the small, refillable tanks operate the Coleman stoves at the same pressure as one the branded Colman tanks?
Old 08-29-2023, 10:09 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
LOL. timing is everything!

He was shocked. He was doing laundry with his wife and walked past me and commented on the grill. Told him I was ready for a new one and would he like it. He said he didn't have the money for it right now. I asked him if he could use it and he answered in the affirmative. I then asked if he could take it off my hands so I didn't have to mess with it and he was confused. I said "just take it if you want it. No need to pay for it". He had a very big grin so I told him to wait a minute. I got the boxes with the griddles, grills, carrying case with wheels and a couple of 1lb. bottles of propane then showed him how to take down the table and side tables and put them in the carrying case. He was grinnin like a possum eatin a sweet tater. He took that grill, left his laundry basket sitting and took it back to his trailer. They cooked on it that night - made my day.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:19 AM   #14
tallen

Quote:
So the big question: does one of the small, refillable tanks operate the Coleman stoves at the same pressure as one the branded Colman tanks?

as far as I know. I have the Coleman stove that has the burner eye on the left and the grill part on the right side. I hook my Flame King 1lbs bottle too it every trip, never have an issue.

On a side note. My grill takes this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I took mine and put a "S" bend in it to make it take up less room..

Old 08-29-2023, 10:41 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
interesting thing, it shows I posted at 6PM today....lol odd since it was more like 11am or before that. hmmm
Looks like you never changed your "local time" from GMT to EST/EDT. Go to your profile (User CP) scroll down to "SETTINGS AND OPTIONS", then select "EDIT OPTIONS", then scroll down to "DATE AND TIME OPTIONS" and change the setting from "GMT" to "GMT-5" That will change your "forum time zone" from somewhere in central Europe to somewhere in Alabama.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:53 AM   #16
claymation

Quote:
as far as I know. I have the Coleman stove that has the burner eye on the left and the grill part on the right side. I hook my Flame King 1lbs bottle too it every trip, never have an issue.

On a side note. My grill takes this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I took mine and put a "S" bend in it to make it take up less room..
that is the exact metal 'bottle to grill' connector mine uses.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:53 AM   #17
tallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looks like you never changed your "local time" from GMT to EST/EDT. Go to your profile (User CP) scroll down to "SETTINGS AND OPTIONS", then select "EDIT OPTIONS", then scroll down to "DATE AND TIME OPTIONS" and change the setting from "GMT" to "GMT-5" That will change your "forum time zone" from somewhere in central Europe to somewhere in Alabama.....
Thank you kind Sir. Changes have been made.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:55 AM   #18
claymation

Quote:

... He took that grill, left his laundry basket sitting and took it back to his trailer. They cooked on it that night - made my day.
did any of his (or hers) clothes fit ya?
Old 08-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #19
tallen

Quote:
that is the exact metal 'bottle to grill' connector mine uses.
Then I know without a doubt that the Flame King 1lb refillable propane bottle will work. It takes me about 30 to 60 sec to fill the bottle back up once empty, but you have to have their refiller.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:07 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you kind Sir. Changes have been made.
Currently there are 47,397 registered forum members. I'd guess (have not actually counted or confirmed) that probably half the membership has never edited their time zone settings. So, don't think for a second that you were only one of a few LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane