Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2023, 09:15 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Yep, yep, yep... that's ME! I still use blocks under the tires to level left to right as close as possible and I use blocks under the jacks. Mine are electric and do not lift the camper. They struggle too much, and I've broken one in the last 5 years too. So, blocks level left to right, and then depending on the forward-backward slope of the camp site, may use substantial lumber forward or aft in order to keep the jacks from extending to the point where they stroke out and still not have the trailer level. Yep, I carry a lot of lumber. I guess I'm just old school .... boards and blocks under my electric self leveling jacks and manually closing and opening propane tanks!

We each do what works best for us. Nothing wrong with that at all. As always, one of my favorite statements: "There is no right or wrong way to do camping. It's just different for every person!"
I would guess that you've got a 12 gallon gas/electric water heater in this trailer, but when you buy the "next one" (we all say we won't but end up doing it anyway), if it has a "propane only demand water heater" you're eventually going to be "wet, naked, changing propane tanks".... The inevitability of that happening will catch you with an empty propane tank and the need to either shower in cold water or go outside to change the manual level on your automatic regulator.... Once that happens, I'd guess you'll likely "rethink that process".... But, as you say, "there is no right or wrong way to do camping"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

This subject (automatic LP changeover) always spurs controversy of new school vs old. I'll freely admit that if the "automatic option" is reliable then my lazy side comes out and I'll embrace it. I like pushing a button to was clothes vs a rock in the creek. I like it when my headlights come on vs turning them on. I like operating a remote control vs turning a knob on the TV or surround system. I like controlling my lights, thermostats, securitycameras, etc.with my voice.

Like I said, I'm lazy so that's just me. To each their own and no criticism from me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:09 AM   #23
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
With the Mopeka sensors, I've gotten to the point that unless a tank is getting low I only open one tank valve. Additionally, we no longer travel with the LP valves open. Yes, I use to do that to keep the fridge running, until I blew the first thermo-fuse on the stack.

We like the Mopeka LP Sensors so much I even use them on our gas grill at home.
BTW: I recommend purchasing the Mopeka pliable tank bottom rings, no rattling and you don't have to fight the supplied aluminum spacer clearance clips that come with the sensors, they are garbage.
For what it's worth, this is my approach too. Only one tank on until the sensors say I'm getting low on the primary tank. Auto change over and sensors have not disappointed so far.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:05 PM   #24
dutchmensport

Just for clarity.... I never said using the auto switchover was a bad choice, it just means you have to "monitor" it much closer. With one tank turned off, you know the one turned on is going to go empty on you. It's just a matter of "when." I think, I'm the true lazy one, because I don't want to monitor the thing. I want to run it and forget it, until it's empty. Then I know I have to get the first tank filled. Then I can forget about everything again.

But NOT watching diligently on the automatic switchover and letting both run out completely can be an unexpected surprise can cause a lot more hardship than going outside in the middle of the night to turn on the other tank. If both tanks are empty, you have no recourse until you get them filled. Again, you have to watch them close. If this is your cup of tea, then that's OK.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Just for clarity.... I never said using the auto switchover was a bad choice, it just means you have to "monitor" it much closer. With one tank turned off, you know the one turned on is going to go empty on you. It's just a matter of "when." I think, I'm the true lazy one, because I don't want to monitor the thing. I want to run it and forget it, until it's empty. Then I know I have to get the first tank filled. Then I can forget about everything again.

But NOT watching diligently on the automatic switchover and letting both run out completely can be an unexpected surprise can cause a lot more hardship than going outside in the middle of the night to turn on the other tank. If both tanks are empty, you have no recourse until you get them filled. Again, you have to watch them close. If this is your cup of tea, then that's OK.
"Watch them close" ?

I don't consider looking at the phone app once a week or less keeping a close watch. As a matter of fact, I can set the app to notify me when the tank reaches a setting of my choice. Doing that I can sleep KNOWING it won't run out during the night with no effort on my part.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane