Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 06:24 AM   #1
Rockb

Propane Issue

Trailer is less than a year old. Have never actually used it for camping. I telework 2 days a week and have been using it for that.

This morning it was a little cool so I figured I would kick on the heater. Fan comes on but no heat. Tried the cooktop, not as large a flame as I would expect. I turn on the hot water heater DSI FLT light stays on.

I figured the dealer just gave me the trailer with an empty tank so I swap it out with the tank from my grill. Initially cooktop has normal flame then it slowly lowers. Turn on the heater and the cooktop extinguishes and DSI FLT on.

I shook the original tank and can tell it has propane in it. I will get them both filled and test again but I suspect there is an issue somewhere else.

Waiting on a call back from dealer service but since all gas items seem to be affected I figure it has to be gas supply or regulator. This thing seems to have two regulators on it. See pic below. Are they both regulators and if so why, if not what is the smaller one?

don't know why the embedded pic is not showing up so here is a link.

http://flcaptainbill.com/forum/reg.jpg

Rockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:29 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Turn off the propane tank. Remove the pigtail from the tank, and wait 1 minute.

Then put the pigtail back onto the tank and SLOWLy turn the propane back on. Try the LP appliances, if the flow is still weak, replace the regulator.

You can adjust the pressure, but without the proper gauge and knowledge I wouldn’t attempt it. There is a slight chance the supply hose got pinched, but that should have been found and corrected at the pre delivery inspection by the dealership.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 07:04 AM   #3
Rockb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
SLOWLy turn the propane back on.
Thank you Chuck. That did the trick. I do now remember something about that during the briefing during pickup.
Rockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #4
bobbecky

Just for an explanation why you need to slowly open the valves, in the photo, the little spring loaded ball is the excess flow valve, and if you open the valve rapidly, the ball will seat, just like it would if you had a failure of a hose or other rapid leak. This is why you will have very little gas flow when the valves are opened too fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lp-type-i-excess-flow-cutaway-ball.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	45238  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

For future reference, you only have one regulator. Yours (like many/most in the RV world) is a two-stage regulator. These are designed to step the pressure down to the appliances in two “stages”, so that when you are running one appliance and start another, the pressure remains stable and the flame remains constant at each appliance.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane