Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
mitig8r

Microwave Fire

We live in Colorado, and had to have our 30' 5th wheel Cougar (2016) repaired after a truck backed into our slide out. We also asked Cousins RV to reseal the roof and replace the underbelly of the RV (we lost a tire and it did some damage to the under belly). Aside from the fact that this dealership had our RV from Mid September until a week ago to do those repairs, we were just happy to get it back and make some travel plans for 2023. We went out this weekend for the first time, and hooked everything up--- no problem.

I always store our glass coffee pot in the microwave wrapped in a hand towel to prevent it from breaking on long hauls over dirt roads. As we were getting ready to make coffee we opened up the microwave. There had literally been a fire inside the microwave. The plastic handle of the coffeepot had melted onto the glass disk inside the MW, and the white walls of the MW were black with ash and stained. The had towel was in a pile of ash on the glass disk.

You all are so knowledgeable on this site. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I know it had to happen when the dealership had it for 10 1/2 months. But what would cause this? I don't even know what to say to the dealership who I hoped we would never have to deal with again once we got our camper off their lot. I am sure they would deny responsibility. Could they have caused a fire by the power tools they were using to do the work, by plugging their tools into the camper outlet? That's just a wild guess on my part. Any ideas from you all?

Thanks in advance.

2015 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
2012 Ram 2500 diesel
mitig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:02 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I would say that your microwave was turned on with the coffee pot etc. in it. The metal bands, plastic etc. were totally fried by whoever turned it on. They then ignored it and now you have it.

You need to have the dealership top management, with their repair managers, front and center doing a shoot the toes dance. 10 1/2 months is a long time and lots of techs were in and out of the RV....no telling what happened. In the end the dealership is responsible. The deal there is proving it or having a good dealership that steps up. Sounds like you don't really have severe harm. Where you go and how you want to pursue it is up to you. I would not let the opportunity pass to force a face to face meeting with the upper management of the dealership to give me a real explanation...not excuses.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
mitig8r

Sourdough, thank you so much for responding to my questions. My husband and I both felt like we (our RV) were being held hostage after all that time. I don't know if I have much fight left in me after we literally sat in their lobby for a week straight so we could get it back in time for our annual family reunion. I borrowed my daughters knitting and pretended to knit for all five days, just to silently make it clear our RV needed to be their top priority. We got our hands on our camper the day before we had to leave to join our family.

I do love your expression of the "dance"!!! Happy safe travels this summer.

2015 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
2012 Ram 2500 diesel
mitig8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:58 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree with Danny. I would be all over the dealership and make it adamant that you expect the microwave AND coffee pot be replaced at their expense.

It’s ridiculous to think you brought it in for repairs in that condition.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitig8r View Post
Sourdough, thank you so much for responding to my questions. My husband and I both felt like we (our RV) were being held hostage after all that time. I don't know if I have much fight left in me after we literally sat in their lobby for a week straight so we could get it back in time for our annual family reunion. I borrowed my daughters knitting and pretended to knit for all five days, just to silently make it clear our RV needed to be their top priority. We got our hands on our camper the day before we had to leave to join our family.

I do love your expression of the "dance"!!! Happy safe travels this summer.

I understand the feeling but please don't let them get away with it. Also, don't let much time go by before you bring it to their attention or they will say they didn't do it for sure. The cost of an RV specific is not cheap (I believe I paid about $300 for the last one) and you want one back as good as you had. I would insist they bought me a new one and install it myself. Just tell them they had the RV for 10+ months and you're not bringing it back to sit.

If the dealership is worth their salt they won't hesitate to make things right when confronted with your facts. Hopefully they don't make you put a fight and an explanation will do. I'm wishing you the best.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote