Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
dwdlt

In Command

I have a 2022 Cougar 27sgs, and my In Command system will stop responding and just go dark. I can reset it and it works for a bit, but will do it again.

I did a search on the forum and found that several folks have had this issue, and that the system probably needs an update. I called ASA, and they are shipping me out a thumb drive with the update.....

With that said, I also noticed that my battery was showing 12V even, and I had thought it should be around 13.1 to 14.4..... Am I off base on this? I would think that the in command would have a shut off function to save slide out motors and such from low voltage..... Wondering if the battery could be causing the issue????

As a side note, just in case it is relevant, the 20amp fuse for my solar system was blown the other day, and I had to replace it.....I'm just trying to make sure I don't have a bigger problem than just a software update. Any advice would be appreciated.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #2
Mikendebbie

My In Command usually shows “13” something…13.1 to 13.4.
Get your battery checked to see if it needs replacing.
Mine is the previous generation InCommand. I used the update thumb drive a few years ago to update it. I have had no problems with mine.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 01:35 PM   #3
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdlt View Post
I have a 2022 Cougar 27sgs, and my In Command system will stop responding and just go dark. I can reset it and it works for a bit, but will do it again.

I did a search on the forum and found that several folks have had this issue, and that the system probably needs an update. I called ASA, and they are shipping me out a thumb drive with the update.....
Just for future reference, you don't need to wait on ASA to send you a thumb drive unless you want too.

You can download the updates yourself.

https://in-command.net/control-systems/

From that link, just pick the In-Command version that matches your system.
Example, my 24RDS uses the version with Global Connect:
https://in-command.net/in-command-w-global-connect/

Then on the middle of that page you see Resources:
Lots of information there: Videos, Quick Reference Guides, Manuals, Software Updates
Download and install instructions are there also.
Latest Updates are from May 2023
Old 07-07-2023, 05:28 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdlt View Post

With that said, I also noticed that my battery was showing 12V even, and I had thought it should be around 13.1 to 14.4..... Am I off base on this? I would think that the in command would have a shut off function to save slide out motors and such from low voltage..... Wondering if the battery could be causing the issue????

As a side note, just in case it is relevant, the 20amp fuse for my solar system was blown the other day, and I had to replace it.....I'm just trying to make sure I don't have a bigger problem than just a software update. Any advice would be appreciated.
A 12 volt FLA battery is composed of 6 cells, each cell, when fully charged, has an output voltage of 2.1 VDC. That's a total "fully charged voltage reading of 12.6 VDC.

What you are reading on the In-command panel is NOT the battery voltage, but the voltage on the trailer circuitry. If your trailer is plugged into shore power, you're reading the "charge voltage from the converter/charger. If you have a solar charging system, you're reading the voltage from the charge controller for the solar system....

The only way to read the "battery voltage" is to disconnect the battery from the trailer and apply a voltmeter across the battery terminals.

The voltage you read on the In-command panel is the "voltage present at the panel, not the voltage at the battery.

Here is a FLA battery voltage/charge state chart. It gives you the approximate voltage on the battery terminals based on charge condition. As the battery is discharged, the voltage drops. As you can see, a voltage reading of 12 VDC indicates a battery charge condition of around 45%. A typical FLA battery should not be discharged below around 70% and a FLA Deep Cycle battery should not be discharged below around 50%. So a reading of 12 VDC on your battery indicates a battery that is discharged below the recommended level.

Keep in mind that lithium batteries are not rated the same and their voltage as well as their charge voltage and discharge levels are significantly different from FLA batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY VOLTAGE CHART.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	44482  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:08 AM   #5
dwdlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A 12 volt FLA battery is composed of 6 cells, each cell, when fully charged, has an output voltage of 2.1 VDC. That's a total "fully charged voltage reading of 12.6 VDC.

What you are reading on the In-command panel is NOT the battery voltage, but the voltage on the trailer circuitry. If your trailer is plugged into shore power, you're reading the "charge voltage from the converter/charger. If you have a solar charging system, you're reading the voltage from the charge controller for the solar system....

The only way to read the "battery voltage" is to disconnect the battery from the trailer and apply a voltmeter across the battery terminals.

The voltage you read on the In-command panel is the "voltage present at the panel, not the voltage at the battery.

Here is a FLA battery voltage/charge state chart. It gives you the approximate voltage on the battery terminals based on charge condition. As the battery is discharged, the voltage drops. As you can see, a voltage reading of 12 VDC indicates a battery charge condition of around 45%. A typical FLA battery should not be discharged below around 70% and a FLA Deep Cycle battery should not be discharged below around 50%. So a reading of 12 VDC on your battery indicates a battery that is discharged below the recommended level.

Keep in mind that lithium batteries are not rated the same and their voltage as well as their charge voltage and discharge levels are significantly different from FLA batteries.
Very good info! Thank you much.
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote