Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
Jpalmer

HC 295RL Lippert Auto Leveling - All Jacks Fault

Our new 2022 HC 295rl has issues with the Lippert Auto Leveling (control panel on the outside). Every time we try to hook up and turn on the control panel we get an all jack fault. We called Lippert and they gave us a sequence and then everything works fine, but I do not want to spin around, stand on one foot, and wave my arms every time we go to hook up.

Anyone else ever dealt with this issue? We haven't started traveling yet just a short trips to Camping world for accessories and such.

Thanks

2022 Montana High Country 295rl
2023 Silverado High Country 3500 Diesel SRW 4x4
B&W Companion Hitch
Jpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:08 PM   #2
jsb5717

Yes, these Ground Control 3.0 systems can be glitchy and I’ve had my share of errors that occur for no reason. However, once you have an error you’ll need to do the recommended reset to get it back to normal. From there it’s a matter of figuring out how to use the system in a way that helps to prevent errors.
  • Always start with your rig fairly level side to side to prevent out of stroke errors.
  • Use blocks under all jacks to minimize how far the legs have to travel…also to prevent out of stroke errors.
  • Listen to the motors when disconnecting from your truck to see if they are slowing down excessively as if they are bogging down. On mine that’s an indicator that they are just about to error out.
  • Always plug into shore power before using the landing gear or auto level

This is just a beginning list. These things are temperamental for sure. I still get errors but much fewer by just learning the sounds it makes and anticipating the problem before it happens
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:20 AM   #3
dutchmensport

jsb5717 has given you some good tips.

Here's a couple more. Level and blocks. Yes, level the trailer as much as possible left to right by placing boards or lego blocks under the tires. If the level system determines there is too much side-slope, they error out. So, do as much leveling yourself, left to right by putting something under the tires of the low side.

Front to back level. (second)... after leveling as much as possible with boards under the tires left-right, or side-to-side, then unhitch. After unhitching, manually raise or lower the front to as close to level as you can. Regardless I still use a carpenters level right at the bay. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer it is the better.

Now that you have manually raised or lowered the front, you are now relatively close to level all around.... NOW hit the auto level.

Why? Because there is very, very little wiggle room if the trailer is off-level to start with for the auto level system to work. I think it's something like a 3% out of level and then the system errors out. So, getting it as close to level to start with eliminates this. Yes, when initially setting up, I always do this, just like when we had previous campers with manual hand crank stabilizers. If you do this, you've just eliminated 75% of all errors.

#3: Place enough blocks, boards, bricks, anything under each jack so they do not have to extend farther than the distance of the tire to the ground. I found if the jacks have to extend much more than 6 inches, they stroke out, causing errors. So, to eliminate stroke-outs, use lots of supports under each jack to make sure they don't "over extend". (Plus, this helps stabilize the camper better too).

#4. Your battery. If your batter is not fully charged, the system will error out. This was the most difficult thing for me to figure out. When we take longer trips and the residential refrigerator is running on the inverter, and we've been traving for hours and hours, the battery will be discharged to the point the jacks bog down. They just don't have enough power to work them. I've learned to recognize this by the sound of the motors. Usually the front landing jack sound tell me the full story. If that happens, then plug the truck back in. This will help boost the battery a bit more.

In my case, we never dry camp. We always have electricity. So, after getting manually (blocked) level, the next thing I do is plug into shore power before unhitching. Why? The jacks are now getting an extra battery boost, not only from the battery, but from the camper converter also.

Following these 4 steps, I've eliminated any errors, ever since.

Of course, hitching up, when I raise the jacks, I then manually have to reposition the height of the king pin to re-hitch. The auto system will return the camper to the point it was before hitting the auto level button. Remember, the auto level button is hit when the front-to-back is already close to level. This may not be the height of the hitch in the truck now.

Be patient. I took me 2 years to even get remotely comfortable with my Lippert 6 point auto leveling (electric) system.

But follow the tips everyone stated here, and you'll eliminate 99% of the errors.

I always carry lots of lumber for this very reason. Pictured here are my "blocks". I have a variety of long boards too.

Because, you just never know when you'll land on a really unlevel site on our travels:

Previous camper:

Current camper:

Old 06-20-2023, 06:53 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As the previous posts mention you have to learn the system to help it. I try to park in a fairly level spot if that is an option. I always assess how the trailer is sitting by looking at the jacks in relation to the ground. You will readily see any slope side to side or front/back. I use blocks (legos generally) every time I park under each jack and then additional blocks to compensate for the slope(s). I never run the jacks unless plugged into shore power or the truck - preferably shore power. If I try to disconnect from the truck and I'm not plugged in I'm sure to get a jack error and have to reset. You can tell a problem is coming when the motors start bogging down.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #5
Jpalmer

Thanks for the tips. We did call Lippert and they gave us a sequence but I don't want to have to jump through these hoops every time.

I will make sure I am closer to level going forward. I was thinking about attaching bubble levels on the pin box and now the requisite lumber.

I watched a YouTube about this and the guys found a loose pin in the connector, but I think he got lucky based on what you all are saying.

2022 Montana High Country 295rl
2023 Silverado High Country 3500 Diesel SRW 4x4
B&W Companion Hitch
Jpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:44 AM   #6
Camping family

Like said above. The more level you are befor using auto level the better you are and the less errors you will have.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:47 AM   #7
jsb5717

Of course anything is possible. Loose wire, bad circuit board, faulty motor, binding cork screw inside the leg…all possible problems. Even at their best these systems are quirky so like any other relationship, just learning what it likes and doesn’t like helps a lot.

The reset sequence is actually pretty simple. When my system errors out I just level the system manually. When we are ready to leave a site then I get loaded on the truck, lower all legs to at least 6” down, then retract all and drive away. Yes, a bit of a pain if you have to do it a lot, but not the end of the world if you wait to do it just before leaving your site…and hoping it doesn’t error out at your next stop.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #8
Kzneft

All good suggestions above. I find sometimes I get faults if I extend some of the jacks all the way out, or all the way in. Normally I can remove the power from the box, in my case turn off the main breaker, then back on. Then when I turn the control back on, I manually move the jacks to around center of the travel. Good luck.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, jack