Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2023, 06:40 PM   #21
bobbecky

The only residential outlet that crosses over to the RV world is the 50 amp outlet. Here are photos of the 30 and 50 amp outlets. You can see the 30 amp 4 wire dryer out has a shorter neutral slot than the neutral slot on the 50 amp RV outlet in addition to the dryer slot being an 'L' shape. Also, the hotleg slots on the two 30 amp outlets are actually in different angles with the dryer outlet having the 'L' shaped neutral.

30 AMP dryer outlet NEMA 10-30R
30 AMP 4 wire Dryer NEMA 14-30R
30 AMP RV NEMA TT-30R
50 AMP RV/Range NEMA 14-50R
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30 amp dryer NEMA 10-30R.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	44471   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 amp 4 wire dryer NEMA 14-30R.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	44472   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 30 amp NEMA TT-30R.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	44473   Click image for larger version

Name:	50 amp RV_Range NEMA 14-50R.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	44474  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:06 PM   #22
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
When we first got our fifth wheel, back in 2014, I tried running the ubiquitous 15 amp 50 ft extension cable to power whatever I could. I quickly learned it was much better to go another 10 ft, and plug into the 30 amp dryer outlet.
Made things a whole lot easier.

If you have a 30 amp dryer Outlet available, I suggest you go that route. Things WILL be so much easier, especially at this time of year.

There's also a 30 amp splitter available, which will give you the opportunity to still use your dryer. Just don't do it all at once.
This is a highly incomplete response. A response like this requires details, otherwise you will have people frying electrical systems.
The OP was having issues with adapters, and you want him to understand a 30 amp 240 volt outlet. Your assumption requires newer style outlet, and changing the plug end of the power cord.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 08:04 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
You don't do it with the old three wire outlet. You have to install the four wire outlet and separate red and black.

Hate to pile on but here is your direct quote from your first post;

"I quickly learned it was much better to go another 10 ft, and plug into the 30 amp dryer outlet."

That is 100% incorrect. As has been pointed out they are not the same...at all. The comment could easily lead a new owner to destroying the electrical system in their RV. There isn't any argument that makes the above statement correct. Trying to clarify it and change the situation/circumstances is one thing, but, the original statement is incorrect and that is what was pointed out....not what was going on in the 70s, how old one is or how many appliances we have blown up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:38 AM   #24
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'm not concerned about just the OP but others that may read this today, tomorrow, a year from now or a decade from today. I won't take such a cavalier and dismissive approach to offering help to someone. I didn't get knowledge from birth, I had educators, mentors, and many others that patiently offered to share their knowledge?

What you originally stated was not correct until it was clarified.

Does it fit with your approval, now?
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:47 AM   #25
Camping family

If you don’t have the knowledge hire someone who does. It’s not worth burning Everything up because you wired it wrong. Again a dryer plug n a camper plug are not the same. The wiring is different.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:40 AM   #26
WDPatterson

Glad you guys chimed in. As I stated, you're still better off coming out of that 30 amp outlet using the proper wiring with a 4-pin Outlet. But, yes, you still need an adapter.

And, yes, you going to need somebody who knows what they're doing to wire it up.
A quick study will provide you with enough information to see what wires go where, it's all on the internet, just Google it.

I'm sitting off grid, running just about every kind of configuration you can think of. I suppose most people aren't capable of that.

Nevertheless, I'm running just about everything off the same system. It's a far cry from running a fifth wheel off of a 15-amp, 110 volt Outlet.
You either have the chops for it, or you don't.
I've watched this discussion developed over the last several days, the original poster hasn't shown back up. And, The Usual Suspects have gotten flustered over how other people don't do it the way they do it.

As you can see by the pictures above, there are several configurations, some of which will not match up. It's not my job to point out to you which ones working which ones don't. I simply said how I did it.
It's kind of like knowing which levers to pull, and which buttons to push. And, people make big money doing that.
You're not going to find the answers in this forum to a lot of things that people ask about. Because, often, it requires a video, or an in-person demonstration. You can talk about it until you're blue in the face, it won't matter.

The purpose of the discussion was to inform. At least one of you thought that it was a terrible idea to discuss it in terms that needed to be further explained. You won't get anywhere with that. The whole point of a discussion is to get to the details. At least one of you actually did ask a good question, and posed alternatives. One of you intimated that most people aren't capable of understanding, so they should just hire someone else.
I've never hired anyone else, I'm not a contractor, and I don't need help. I don't come here for solutions. Because, some of you aren't worth asking.
If I make a suggestion, be kind. If you're not, I won't either.
If you have a 240 volt circuit, it requires four wires. Line one, line two, neutral, and ground. It's up to you to decide which one goes where.
Electrical circuits are like pathways, they flow like water. Don't get yourself in a tizzy trying to figure out water and electricity. That's not the point. Flow is flow. You either get it right, or you don't.
The 50 amp 240 volt circuit is the best, because it comes off of both different legs that go into the breaker box from the service. That's your best course of action, and you can run a cable from your breaker box if you want.
I use a 240 volt connection off of a generator, as well as a 240 volt inverter to get the job done. That's two different legs, on two different sides of a breaker box, and a 30 amp adapter is easily connected to that.
I've run a four prong dryer off of that same outfit. No problems there.
I'm running 12 KW of solar panels through two charge controllers into 31.7 kilowatt hours of batteries. I output from those batteries to three different inverters. Those inverters supplies 110 volts on two of them, and 240 volts on the 3rd.

If you have any further condemnations, I will be here all week.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:42 AM   #27
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The only residential outlet that crosses over to the RV world is the 50 amp outlet. Here are photos of the 30 and 50 amp outlets. You can see the 30 amp 4 wire dryer out has a shorter neutral slot than the neutral slot on the 50 amp RV outlet in addition to the dryer slot being an 'L' shape. Also, the hotleg slots on the two 30 amp outlets are actually in different angles with the dryer outlet having the 'L' shaped neutral.

30 AMP dryer outlet NEMA 10-30R
30 AMP 4 wire Dryer NEMA 14-30R
30 AMP RV NEMA TT-30R
50 AMP RV/Range NEMA 14-50R
Nice use of pictures. Appreciate that. Now, on to the real issue.
If I go from a 50 amp outlet on a generator, using a 50 ft 50 amp RV extension cable, I go into a 6-3 Romex with ground, and wire directly into the back side of a dryer. Runs like a top. No need for all the extra unnecessary and non-applicable connectors.
I appreciate what you're getting at. You think people will get confused. That's what the internet is for. All kinds of wiring diagrams over there.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:51 AM   #28
CedarCreekWoody

The 3 prong 240 volt dryer outlet does not have a neutral wire. The third wire is a ground. Yes, ground and neutral are eventually connected, but only in the main service entrance. Connecting the two anywhere downstream violates NEC code and makes the ground wire carry current throughout the entire home. Yes, it will work, but it is dangerous. It also makes all equipment in the home more susceptible to damage from a nearby lightning strike.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:50 PM   #29
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
The 3 prong 240 volt dryer outlet does not have a neutral wire. The third wire is a ground. Yes, ground and neutral are eventually connected, but only in the main service entrance. Connecting the two anywhere downstream violates NEC code and makes the ground wire carry current throughout the entire home. Yes, it will work, but it is dangerous. It also makes all equipment in the home more susceptible to damage from a nearby lightning strike.
That's why you don't use the three prong connector.