Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
Gammylife13

Black tanks

I have 2 bathrooms...2 black water tanks. One on each end of the 5thwheel... it's a 2022 heritage 353bed ....On my control panel... how do I know which one is black water tank 1 and 2? I used to think that number 1 was the main bathroom but now I'm not sure if that's correct??
Gammylife13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:07 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Since your camper is a Forest River product, it is unlikely that anyone on a Keystone forum will know the answer. If I were guessing, I would fill one of the tanks significantly and not use the other and dump them and determine which has the most volume coming out. (hope that made sense). Forest River buys their tank monitor stuff from the same companies as all the rest of the manufacturers and they are notoriously inaccurate to the point of near useless.

We encourage folks who own all brands to join and take part and in many cases can help but tank placement/numbering may not be something anyone here can guess at.
The forum for the FR crowd is owned/run by the same folks as own/run this one and your login credentials will work there I suspect. I am a member of the FR forum but never look in much these days as my last toy hauler was a Forest River. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
Gammylife13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Since your camper is a Forest River product, it is unlikely that anyone on a Keystone forum will know the answer. If I were guessing, I would fill one of the tanks significantly and not use the other and dump them and determine which has the most volume coming out. (hope that made sense). Forest River buys their tank monitor stuff from the same companies as all the rest of the manufacturers and they are notoriously inaccurate to the point of near useless.

We encourage folks who own all brands to join and take part and in many cases can help but tank placement/numbering may not be something anyone here can guess at.
The forum for the FR crowd is owned/run by the same folks as own/run this one and your login credentials will work there I suspect. I am a member of the FR forum but never look in much these days as my last toy hauler was a Forest River. Good luck.
Well that is embarrassing, I thought i was in the right forums! Yikes sorry!
Gammylife13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

You can hold the toilet open on one or the other, watch the monitor panel and when it shows 1/3 instead of empty you’ll know.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:48 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

I think there are enough similarities between all of the manufacturers that a question such as this can be posted in any of the various forums and the answers will be similar. Especially considering that even identical Keystone models of the same year have the tank sensors hooked up differently. It depends on who connected the wires on that unit in that hour on that day.

Chuckster hit it on the head, add water to one tank and watch the panel for the corresponding level increase.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

You can hold the toilet open on one or the other, watch the monitor panel and when it shows 1/3 instead of empty you’ll know.
That MIGHT work on some units, but my last 5er the empty black tank read 2/3s the day I picked it up from the dealer & 2/3s 6 years later when I sold it. Oh BTW, the greys both read 1/3 for 6 years. The bath grey read 1/3 all while it's backing up ankle deep in the shower.
But I'd owned rvs enough to know not to pay too much attention to those tank levels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That MIGHT work on some units, but my last 5er the empty black tank read 2/3s the day I picked it up from the dealer & 2/3s 6 years later when I sold it. Oh BTW, the greys both read 1/3 for 6 years. The bath grey read 1/3 all while it's backing up ankle deep in the shower.
But I'd owned rvs enough to know not to pay too much attention to those tank levels.
Then the dealership/ tech didn’t do their job prior to delivery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #8
WDPatterson

Yeah. The sensors don't work very well. You have to clean the tank, regularly, with an enzymatic cleaner that actually dissolves everything in the tank.
It's taken me 6 years to get the right stuff to do the job.
Still, the black tank sensors do not register accurately.

FYI:
When we first pulled our trailer out of the lot, took it home, we didn't know anything.
When I went back to the RV lot to get some stuff that they were supposed to put in the trailer, but didn't, the guy had a sheepish grin when I told him he let us take off out of his lot with both gray and black tanks full of water.

I'm tempted to mention the name of the place, because they discusted me so much. I drove that thing all the way home, from Seguin to Northwest San Antonio, and then down to Mathis Texas from San Antonio to find out those tanks were full.

Tags
black tank, tank