Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Rixtoyz

28RLS tank fill valve - where is it?

I have a 2017 Keystone Cougar 28RLS. In the manual it talks about two ways to fill the fresh water tank. One of them is the "Pressure Water Fill" method. To do this you hook up your hose to the city water fill valve then turn a valve to the "tank fill" position,turn on the water and fill your tank that way. The other way is the normal gravity water fill. My question is this - where is the city water tank fill valve located? I have looked all over the bottom of the trailer and all that is there are the drains for the water lines and the fresh water tank plus a few wires. I looked under the bathroom cabinet because it is over the fresh water tank but there were no extra valves there. And I looked in where the outside shower is but there was nothing there.

I did call Keystone and they weren't too sure exactly where it was but thought it would be under the trailer next to the drain for the fresh water tank. I even pulled out the foam to look up inside but there was no valve there. I am pretty sure there is one and it may be barely open because I have not put water in the tank (the tank was empty when I bought it earlier this year) - I just hooked up to the city water feed and the fresh water tank ended up half full of water after a week long trip this last summer.....

Does anyone know where this city water tank water fill valve is?
Rixtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The Keystone Owner's Manual is a generic manual that is shipped with every trailer from the most expensive Montana to the least expensive Summerland. The manual describes components that are included on some trailers, optional on some other models and not available on other brands or models.

Chances are, if your Cougar is like ours, it has a small (6x8") panel with the city water hookup and the gravity fresh water tank fill. Some other brands have a convenience center (usually located in the front storage compartment/basement) that includes everything from holding tank drain handles, water/sewer hookups, electrical connectors for shore power and TV/satellite, water heater controls, outdoor shower with hose storage and some other "convenience items". Few of the "lower priced brands" have this "luxury"...

Just as you'll find instructions on the self leveling system, battery cutoff switch, heat pump operation and a host of other items, not all the trailers have all the features.

I'd suppose you'll never find a tank fill valve. It probably isn't a feature on your trailer. Sometimes I wonder if Keystone does it that way to create "owner envy" with hopes that people will upgrade to get features their trailer doesn't have......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #3
Eastham

I have a 2016 28 ft cougar and it is right where you are hooking the fresh water hose to in the docking station
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
TheGriz

I have a 2018 Laredo 288RL. My "docking station" (roughly an 8"x10" compartment) is on the back wall of the TT. In it is the "outside shower" and "Fresh Water Connection" with a two position "switch valve" that moves 90 degrees ...one position for the city water and one position for the fresh water tank fill. Also in that docking station is the black water flush connection. Check yours for the "switch valve". Good luck!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Rixtoyz

Thanks for the ideas. I looked and it does not appear to be anywhere and I wouldn't care one way or another except I can't figure out how the water got into the fresh water tank when I only hooked up to the city fill part and never put any water into the tank by the gravity fill. That is why I was thinking that I must have that valve and it must be partially opened. Maybe it is in the wall somewhere and they forgot to put it through to the outside? I'll call the factory again and maybe I can talk to someone else who knows this product better than the first person I talked to......
Old 11-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a one way valve built into the water pump. When working correctly, that valve prevents water from flowing through the water pump and into the fresh water tank. If trash from the tank, a bit of silicone or a bit of plastic from where the tank was installed gets into the water pump diaphragm, it will prevent the one way valve from working properly and water can slowly flow through the pump and fill your fresh water tank. It's a known problem, many people have had the issue. One easy way to fix it is to remove the pump, take the pump head apart, clean it and reassemble it. Usually that will fix the backflow problem. Also, are you using a water pressure regulator? If not, any pressure above about 45 or 50 PSI can force water through the pump. Additionally, pressure higher than that can lead to damaged water plumbing.

Many of us have installed a "strainer" on the input from the fresh water tank to the water pump. That will prevent the "trash" that causes pump head issues from entering the pump.

If you do some research on the forum, you'll find several recent (within the past 3 months) threads where members have had problems just like yours. Almost all of them have been related to the pump head leaking water "backwards" into the fresh water tank. There have been some o-ring problems with the convenience center manual control valves, but your trailer doesn't have that type of arrangement.

If you do find a solution, please post it here, it will help other members who may have the same problem with their trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Eastham

Being a 2017 wouldn't it be a warranty issue that the dealer could resolve. Especially if you have to start taking the pump apart and cleaning it on a new unit.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Being a 2017 wouldn't it be a warranty issue that the dealer could resolve. Especially if you have to start taking the pump apart and cleaning it on a new unit.
Yes, it should be covered. Here are your 2 choices, #1 take it to your dealer to leave it for weeks if not months, #2 do the 10 minute job yourself & learn something about the system in the process. I think I'd choose #2! Not trying to be Mr Know it All, but if you can't do this simple job, you may want to rethink rv ownership as there will ALWAYS be something to fix/repair/replace regardless of make/model/price.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yes, it should be covered. Here are your 2 choices, #1 take it to your dealer to leave it for weeks if not months, #2 do the 10 minute job yourself & learn something about the system in the process. I think I'd choose #2! Not trying to be Mr Know it All, but if you can't do this simple job, you may want to rethink rv ownership as there will ALWAYS be something to fix/repair/replace regardless of make/model/price.
Yes some RV’s seem to need something fixed “all the time” and some don’t. Not all RV OWNERS want to know how to fix stuff, some CAN’T due to limitations..I’m not so so sure your correct about rethinking ownership, and a dealership isn’t the ONLY option for warranty work.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #10
jsmith948

Just to add to the confusion - our 2018 Laredo 298srl has the above referenced "convenience center" in the roadside storage compartment. Located in this center are the city water connection, the black tank flush connection, and a third water connection that was identified during our walk-through as the fresh water tank fill. I haven't tried to use this connection yet as I am fearful of where the water may go if it doesn't go to the FW tank. Adding to my doubts is the fact that the trailer has a gravity fill as well. I don't know why there would be this arrangement. If one has to move the hose from one fitting to another, why not just use the gravity fill?
So, as has been posted above, if you can't find a valve, and you don't have a third water connection, my guess would be a malfunctioning check valve at the pump.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
Rixtoyz

Thanks for all the input. I had not thought about the water pump and, yes, it is under warranty so I will give the dealer a call. We aren't going anywhere this winter so no big deal to take it over to have them check it out. I have owned quite a few other trailers over the years and never had this problem and I pretty much can fix anything that comes up. I also never had this fresh water fill valve on any other trailer I owned and since I can't find it anywhere the chances are there never was one and, like another person said, not all trailers have what the manual says they do. The water pump makes the most sense so I'll get that checked out.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
IRV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Just to add to the confusion - our 2018 Laredo 298srl has the above referenced "convenience center" in the roadside storage compartment. Located in this center are the city water connection, the black tank flush connection, and a third water connection that was identified during our walk-through as the fresh water tank fill. I haven't tried to use this connection yet as I am fearful of where the water may go if it doesn't go to the FW tank. Adding to my doubts is the fact that the trailer has a gravity fill as well. I don't know why there would be this arrangement. If one has to move the hose from one fitting to another, why not just use the gravity fill?
So, as has been posted above, if you can't find a valve, and you don't have a third water connection, my guess would be a malfunctioning check valve at the pump.
I thought the third water connection was for winterizing because we have the little black "knob" underneath the black flush water connection. I'm going to take a pic tomorrow of this "convenience center." I am confused as well!

2018 Keystone Laredo 298RL
2003 Keystone Laredo 27RL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW
IRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRV2 View Post
I thought the third water connection was for winterizing because we have the little black "knob" underneath the black flush water connection. I'm going to take a pic tomorrow of this "convenience center." I am confused as well!
Thanks for posting. We have the winterizing valve at the bottom of the convenience center as well. Your explanation of the third water connection makes more sense than what I was told during our walk-through. The guy was really good - at least I thought so - on all the other components. Perhaps I misunderstood him.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank