Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Wxman

New Passport Elite 19RB and Questions

Just pulled it home this afternoon. Thanks to some on this forum the WD hitch was awfully, awfully close to being set up perfect and was fine for the ride home. If it wasn't raining and spitting snow would have some pictures.
Our first RV of any kind. Stocked up on lots of goodies, but have a question about one possibility. What is the general consensus of the experienced about a surge protector for the 'campground power' inlet. I understand it would be greatly dependent on specific locations, but is this something people see problems with on any kind of regular basis?
We won't have lots of electronics to worry about on the inside. If needed, it would be just to protect the RV electrics.

Opinions and experiences appreciated. Thanks.
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
Tbos

Congrats on your new rig. I use an in line surge protector that has saved my bacon at least twice. It has alerted me when there were issues with the CG post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
B-O-B'03

I bought a Progressive Industries EMS, from Amazon.

It offers surge protection as well as line monitoring for various faults and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Installation was pretty simple.

They also make a portable unit, that attaches between the pedestal and your camper, but I like having the monitor inside and not having to secure the portable against thievery.

-Brian
Old 11-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Wxman

Well, maybe a little more useful than I first thought.
Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
earlzach

Congrats on the new Passport. Best of luck to you.
earlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I have a hard wired EMS. Anymore I wouldn’t camp without one- hardwired or portable, your choice.

BTW, congrats on your new purchase.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
CrazyCain

I got a portable and have had zero problems with it.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:52 AM   #8
notanlines

Wxman, welcome to the forum. You are just about to find out that the money you paid for a membership here is about to pay off. 50 Amp surge protector on sale right now at CW. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...yABEgInzfD_BwE Just what you need, believe me. And no, it doesn't depend on what kind of RV park you choose. ALL parks are subject to power surges.
A surge protector is the very first item one should buy for their RV.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 AM   #9
Wxman

Got one on the way . Thanks for the inputs and welcomes. Now we are just 'sorry' it is late in the season here. Anxious to get it out on a couple short trips to shake things down. Also finishing up the carport shelter we will be storing it in. Lots going on!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
ptooti

I use an inline dogbone surge protector and put a garbage bag over the post when its plugged in ......congrats on your rig I pick my 19RB up tomorrow!
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
mfifield01

I use a portable. With the portable, you can check the wiring before plugging in the TT.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Just to confirm your choice on buying the protector. Yes, it is a required component IMO. Ours has saved us multiple times. You didn't say what you got but don't scrimp and get the one that has the readout for line faults, voltage, amperage etc. Worth every penny. Mine is the portable (Surge Guard) and I've had zero problems with it and no issues with theft or tampering. I did buy the surge guard housing/security protector to cover the connection for the EMS to power cable. I covers it and is secured with a padlock.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #13
Wxman

I ordered an EMS hardwired with the remote display. Pros and cons both ways I know, but thought this install would look pretty neat.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I use a portable. With the portable, you can check the wiring before plugging in the TT.
Yep, We bought this one that analyzes the power before you plug your trailer in. It checks for low/high voltage, etc. It will light a set of two lights if the power is good to go:
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...otector+30+amp

It has been pretty nice so far. We paid a few dollars less back in July, so they can vary in price. The cover has been nice for connecting in the rain.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
SRD

I have the 19rb also and really like it . I installed the Progressive Industries EMS 30 amp hardwired surge protector soon after purchase. this is something I recommend you should do because it has saved me a few times already. It is very easy to install just finding a place for it was the hardest part. My next modification will be to install a bedlift kit as soon as the weather permits. Would like to hear from you about your camper likes and dislikes
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #16
ptooti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I have the 19rb also and really like it . I installed the Progressive Industries EMS 30 amp hardwired surge protector soon after purchase. this is something I recommend you should do because it has saved me a few times already. It is very easy to install just finding a place for it was the hardest part. My next modification will be to install a bedlift kit as soon as the weather permits. Would like to hear from you about your camper likes and dislikes
sounds like a nice upgrade I will check into it thanks, we did the bed lift kit just bought the gas struts from princess auto in Canada a store much like jc whitney or harbour freight we bought the 89lb ones and have a very heavy 12" memory foam mattress and they work well to assist the lifting I followed the hatchlift instructions online with a few mods. I would also like to put a power socket to attach the main power cable to I'm not crazy about shoving all back inside that storage hole each time would rather just disconnect it and store coiled up will see if that do-able in the future.
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #17
SRD

Passport Elite 19rb modifications

Regarding the gas shocks you used with the bed lift do they work with the bed fully dressed. I have the stock mattress with a memory foam topper and the people at Hatchlift told me from my description that I should get the kit with the 150lb shocks. I have thought all along that might be to hard to close the bed and keep it down. What is your idea on that? Also I am going to do the shore power conversion inlet,I don't like dragging the cord out either
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #18
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Regarding the gas shocks you used with the bed lift do they work with the bed fully dressed. I have the stock mattress with a memory foam topper and the people at Hatchlift told me from my description that I should get the kit with the 150lb shocks. I have thought all along that might be to hard to close the bed and keep it down. What is your idea on that? Also I am going to do the shore power conversion inlet,I don't like dragging the cord out either
We have the Hatchlift shocks also. They recommended extra short ones (not sure of the force rating, Hatchlift BLK-XSM Extra Small). I suspect your under bed storage is similar to ours (we are a 19FBPR) and initially the bed would not stay down (using the factory mattress). I installed some gate latches (see bottom photo in entry 1 on this post) to hold the bed down. We've been using the shocks now for about 9 months, and the bed will stay down on its own, but we still latch it - just in case, and especially during travel.

Be aware, when you install them you may need to add additional bracing. The sides of the framed enclosure bowed out when I tried to close the bed storage hatch. The bracings are the white strips under the pivot point for the shock in the picture on the identified post.

I also installed the Progressive Industries hardwired electrical management system (EMS-HW30C) and it has saved my butt a few times, also. Well worth the investment, and reasonably easy to install.
------
Formerly ShacterShack - name changed per request of DW so she was comfortable getting a Forum Membership Decal with the member name on it.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #19
linux3

OK, I don't want to tell anyone what to do. For the last 2 years we have road tripped all over for in excess of 12k miles camping everywhere. Weeks and weeks at a time usually staying a couple of nights in any one place.
As a former master electrician who got sick of working for a living and went back to college to get a EE I don't use a surge anything. The electric control box has breakers.
As to a surge protector saving your butt, how do you know? Because your surge protector said so?
Have you ever put a recorder on the input to your house? You think you are getting 115 volts he laughs.
If it makes you happy go for it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #20
linux3

As to suggestions:
Get a spare 25' 30 amp power cable. That has saved my butt.
How much water hose have you got? I have a 25' and a 50'. Sometimes I've needed both.
Tool kit? Include a square driver, stuff is always coming apart.
Extra sewer hose?
Duct tape? Gorilla double side tape is perfect for hanging hooks TP holders and such.
Fold up laundry basket is a handy item.
Small tin of axle grease to keep the ball lubed.

Have a fun time.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport