Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Sailorpat1954

Walmart’s ? Anyone ever spend the night

Has anyone ever spent a night in Walmart’s parking lot while traveling ? Do you check in with the store? Where do you park ?

We are planing a trip the end of the month. It was going to New Mexico but now we are thing Florida due to the weather being warming.

So while traveling we were thinking about Walmart’s and rest areas.

Thanks

Pat and Debbie
Dearborn Michigan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sailorpat1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
notanlines

Pat, DW and I have spent many, many nights in Wally-World parking lots. We look at our phone app to see if it is one that usually accepts people in their lot and then when we arrive she goes in and talks to store personnel to get the okay. Always get the name of the person you talk to. We never get all comfy, put out all the slides, light the fire ring or grill steaks. We do park where directed, fire up the generator, purchase a few things to help pay for the hospitality and then tell them thanks in the morning when we leave. Your phone app is AllStays.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a Yahoo discussion group called WalMart RVing. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

There are about 10,000 ,members and quite an extensive listing of which WalMarts allow overnight stays, facilities nearby and any precautions such as vandalism, theft, errant birds, wayward sprinkler systems, etc. It's updated regularly and is an "open, free group"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
CrazyCain

DW and I stayed at one for the first time last August, even had the pleasure of meeting John (JRTJH) as he and his DW came to visit us at the Gaylord WM.. Had zero problems, slept like a baby and paid our "dues" by buying a few things in the store. Plan on doing that again next year on pur way UP to the U.P again..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Sailorpat1954

Thanks guys. I downloaded all stay and joined the yahoo group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
bdaniel

We stay at Walmart often now that it is just my wife and I and we just want a safe place to sleep. I have a Honda EU3000i generator that is very quiet.

Also our 325SRX has 60 gallons of fresh water so we can go several nights taking showers and doing dishes before we need to replenish.

We feel safe at Walmart and there is always something we need while we are there.

I will not stay in a rest area. We sometimes stay at a truck stop after asking permission of course.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Stayed at Walmart many times while I was transporting. Most allow you to stay, only ran into a few that didn’t. The ones that said no, had signs in the parking lot on the light poles. Some have you park in the same area as the tractor trailers, others have you park in a different area to avoid damage. For the most part, just stay at the far ends/corners of the lots to avoid causing parking problems for other customers.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Jonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorpat1954 View Post
Has anyone ever spent a night in Walmart’s parking lot while traveling ? Do you check in with the store? Where do you park ?

We are planing a trip the end of the month. It was going to New Mexico but now we are thing Florida due to the weather being warming.

So while traveling we were thinking about Walmart’s and rest areas
We've stayed at wally world a few times but prefer a nice Home Depot or other home improvement center back lot. Cracker barrels and many other businesses are far quieter options overnight as well. We have never "checked in" or asked permission.
We really like road side rest areas and parks for stops while traveling. Some of them are very nice and quite remote! Some travelers get nervous about personal safety but my wife and I are quite prepared and capable people as we all should be.
2016 F150 4X4 - EcoBoost - 3:55's - rear locker - 9500# winch
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #9
bsmith0404

I’ve found many places to stay while I was transporting. Just about any large store will have some far off corner of the lot that they don’t mind people staying at. The reason I liked Walmart is I could use their restroom facilities. As a transporter I couldn’t use the ones in the trailer and with my personal RV I don’t travel with anything in the tanks.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #10
Sailorpat1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
We've stayed at wally world a few times but prefer a nice Home Depot or other home improvement center back lot. Cracker barrels and many other businesses are far quieter options overnight as well. We have never "checked in" or asked permission.
We really like road side rest areas and parks for stops while traveling. Some of them are very nice and quite remote! Some travelers get nervous about personal safety but my wife and I are quite prepared and capable people as we all should be.

Yes we are always prepared also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
{tpc}

I parked in one for a few hours during a storm filled trip home, didn't check in, but had no problems. Other than my wife doesn't enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
AndyNSarah

Great thread...was wondering about this. We will likely be doing this a time or 2 next year.
AndyNSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
kjohn

A few years ago, we bought our first TT. My wife had never been camping (if you can call it that) with a trailer, so we just went to the nearest Walmart for a night, then to another one not far away for another night. Worked out good, as we were able to outfit our little trailer.

Since then, we have often stayed in Walmart parking lots. I always go in and ask, and have always been given the go ahead. We always make sure to buy something we will use.

The only lot I wouldn't stay in is the Walmart in Whitehorse, YT. It is a major zoo, huge land yachts parked every which way. The lot is packed by early afternoon.

We have never had any trouble at a Walmart. Usually soon after closing time, it gets very quiet. I did have to move one night in Prince Albert, SK. The young fellow was very apologetic when he came to the door. They were going to sweep the lot, and he said to just move to the other side of the lane and all was good.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #14
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is a Yahoo discussion group called WalMart RVing. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

There are about 10,000 ,members and quite an extensive listing of which WalMarts allow overnight stays, facilities nearby and any precautions such as vandalism, theft, errant birds, wayward sprinkler systems, etc. It's updated regularly and is an "open, free group"....
Just looked that up and joined that group. There's a lot of info in the lists there!
Thanks for passing it on.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
DLfuzion

Yes, on our way to Utah from Michigan we stopped at Walmart in Wyoming. I know you are supposed to check in but there were so many trucks and campers in the lot, I just found a spot and camped with the rest of them. My wife thinks people peek in the campers, if they do they'll get stared right back by 2 big black labs.
DLfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I'm a little late to this conversation and will have those that vehemently object to my post.

I think it's an imposition on any business for anyone using an RV to think they can just pull in, park, take up space on private property and think it's OK. That, to me, is silly. I wouldn't dream of pulling into a farmer's field and just setting up because it was "clear" land. Same on my property....things are going to go sideways very quickly. Walmart is the same.

RV owners should (hopefully) understand the costs that come with the lifestyle; finding a place to put them every night when traveling - not a "free" spot you can find in some person's open spot. If you can't pay for the hobby, don't play. I've seen some very "stressing" situations with RVs parked in public parking lots....they all embarrass me to be one of "those people".

Let the fun begin....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #17
DLfuzion

I agree in most part about just any public spot, but Walmart has made it very aware that they are welcoming campers to stay overnight. The truckers are all there too. I do make sure I buy something when I did stay there the one time in my life. I can afford any place I want, it was just convenient at midnight to pull in to sleep a few hours.
DLfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #18
Freeheel4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm a little late to this conversation and will have those that vehemently object to my post.

I think it's an imposition on any business for anyone using an RV to think they can just pull in, park, take up space on private property and think it's OK. That, to me, is silly. I wouldn't dream of pulling into a farmer's field and just setting up because it was "clear" land. Same on my property....things are going to go sideways very quickly. Walmart is the same.

RV owners should (hopefully) understand the costs that come with the lifestyle; finding a place to put them every night when traveling - not a "free" spot you can find in some person's open spot. If you can't pay for the hobby, don't play. I've seen some very "stressing" situations with RVs parked in public parking lots....they all embarrass me to be one of "those people".

Let the fun begin....
Well I can't help but play devil's advocate a little bit here Danny. We plan a lot of our trips in National Forests, Buereau of Land Management, or other state run lands simply to avoid the costs of the "lifestyle", and it's what we like. I dont mean developed areas either. We have also camped in rest areas but like others mention we keep a low profile, and usually no more than 6 houses or so to sleep. Pretty easy with the 2 doors and rear living as we can do our thing and slide doesn't have to go our more than about 8". We have only stayed in a park once. I use a local one for my dumping and tank fills as their setup is nicer than most others(Riverside RV in Boise)
I feel like it boils down to the courtesy/permission thing. Have hunted quail on others property after a simple knock on the door and a nice chat. Have stayed the night in a hotel parking lot after a chat with the front desk and we made sure to patronize their restaurant for breakfast in the morning before we pulled out.
Not hopping the fence and taking liberties, or taking advantage of the situation and getting permission seems like it's not an imposition on the landowner/business owner.
Ugh, you laid the trap and I stepped right in it.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
Well I can't help but play devil's advocate a little bit here Danny. We plan a lot of our trips in National Forests, Buereau of Land Management, or other state run lands simply to avoid the costs of the "lifestyle", and it's what we like. I dont mean developed areas either. We have also camped in rest areas but like others mention we keep a low profile, and usually no more than 6 houses or so to sleep. Pretty easy with the 2 doors and rear living as we can do our thing and slide doesn't have to go our more than about 8". We have only stayed in a park once. I use a local one for my dumping and tank fills as their setup is nicer than most others(Riverside RV in Boise)
I feel like it boils down to the courtesy/permission thing. Have hunted quail on others property after a simple knock on the door and a nice chat. Have stayed the night in a hotel parking lot after a chat with the front desk and we made sure to patronize their restaurant for breakfast in the morning before we pulled out.
Not hopping the fence and taking liberties, or taking advantage of the situation and getting permission seems like it's not an imposition on the landowner/business owner.
Ugh, you laid the trap and I stepped right in it.
It wasn't meant as a trap and shouldn't be. I'm with you; stayed countless nights on BLM/forest service land where I could, and should, be. That's what we all pay for....and it's wonderful. I just think that it's wrong headed to plan a long trip around staying in someone else's paid for, private property....just because it looks open. We've all been to Walmarts. When you walk in and talk to the "manager" what did you find? An investor with Walmart? Someone that could speak for the corporation? Of course not. You talked to some person that didn't know. So they say you can stay overnite. What else would they do? Start a who knows what kind of situation in their store?

Walmart owns LOTS of property. The key is THEY own it. WE, as RVers don't. We have no right to use it because it looks big and vacant. We should have the wherewithal to actually take care of ourselves without depending/forcing another land owner to do that for us.

Some say that Walmart "condones", "endorses", "encourages" RVers to take up their parking lots. I don't believe that's true. On this last trip back from FL I encountered Walmarts that have taken routes to stop RV traffic; Low hanging bars to limit clearance; signs that refuse RVs etc. It's not that they want, and endorse Rvers, it's simply that we inject ourselves and they try to be polite.

Did I mention that planning, a little money etc. means there is an RV park down the road, that wants your business is waiting....JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

From the WalMart website: https://corporate.walmart.com/freque...stions#Park_RV

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?
While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

So, WalMart's corporate policy has given individual store managers the permission to allow RV parking on property owned by the corporation. Not to start a "war of words" but WalMart, Sam's Club, K-Mart all have allowed overnight parking in their "unused pavement" as have Pilot, Flying J, Travel Centers of America and Oasis truck stops.

There are some locations that do not allow overnight parking, usually because of local ordinances imposed by city or county governments. In those areas, you can get a ticket or be forced to move by local police, which is just one more reason to "get permission from the store manager" before parking for the night.

Common courtesy is to remain "inconspicuous" by not using awnings, extending slides, no lawn furniture, no grills, etc. Most require the tow vehicle to remain connected to the trailer so it can be moved is needed. So, if you do choose to become a "WalMart camper", please follow their manager's rules for his parking lot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote