Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
xrated

My First Maint. Job on a Brand New T.H.

So, we bought a brand new Keystone Impact 303 at the end of October and towed it home (375 miles) and parked it in a gravel pad area that was the landing pad for my enclosed trailer. The gravel area is mostly level...side to side and has a forward slope of probably 3 to 4 inches. So I'm out checking out the new Toy Hauler and operating stuff and learning as much as I can about it (it's my very first camping trailer). I ran the slide out that has the 97" sofa and all was well, at least until I try to bring it back in. As it started in, and got about half way, it started making a groaning noise like it was really struggling to make it's way back in, and you could obviously hear the motor drive slowing down somewhat. Dang, this ain't good. I stopped it and ran it back out and started back in again. Pretty much the same thing. I ended up running it all the way in, but there was definitely something about it not right. I went online and found an instruction manual for the Accu-Slide cable system that the Impact uses and read through it. Basically four cables pull it out (all four corners) and four different cables pull it back in (again, all four corners). The Accu-Slide system is a "give and take" cable system and basically that means that when the slide is being pulled out, the "in" cables should have a slight amount of slack in them. When the slide is being pulled in, the "out" cables should have a slight amount of slack in them. When I was trying to pull the slide back in (retract), the out cables were as tight as the cables that were pulling it in. So, I decided to do the adjustment myself, based on the Instruction manual and how to do it. As soon as I got a step stool and got to where I could see the cabling and pulleys and adjusters, the first thing that I noticed is that 3 out of 4 of the chain/cable adjuster mechanism's locking nuts were not tight and had backed off of the adjusters a bit. At this point, I had the slide all the way out and ran it in about 8 or 9 inches so that I could access/feel both sets of cables...the "ins" and the "outs". Since the last movement that I had done was bringing it back in, the outs should have had some slack in them, and they didn't. I loosened all four of the "out" cables one full turn of adjustment and checked the cables again. Perfect! These cables are suppose to be slack enough to be able to move them up and down about an inch overal, and they were. I tightened all of the locknuts and finished bringing it all the way in. Then I ran it out to about the same location (about 8 or 9 inches from being all the way out) and checked the "in" cables. They were in adjustment and I had that same 1 inch or so of slack, as they should. I buttoned everything up and called it a day.

This is something that should have been adjusted properly from the factory, and maybe it was pretty well adjusted, but if you don't tighten down the locknuts on the adjusters, the adjustment will change and cause the kind of issue that I had. The is simply sloppy workmanship on their part, and I really didn't want to take a brand new trailer either all the way back to where I bought it or try to find a local dealer to make the adjustment when I felt comfortable enough to try it myself. Chalk one up for the good guys this time!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
Tbos

Re: My First Maint. Job on a Brand New T.H.

You are fortunate you didn't need to remove the facia to reach the cables. On mine it has to come off because there is very little clearance with it attached. Glad the adjustment went well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:11 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Glad it was a relatively easy fix. On your PDI did these not act up? I have an Impact too and have not had any problems with the slides but this check will be on my spring opening checklist.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Glad it was a relatively easy fix. On your PDI did these not act up? I have an Impact too and have not had any problems with the slides but this check will be on my spring opening checklist.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!
During the PDI, they seemed to work just fine, but remember...it was a totally level parking area...AND....this is my first ever trailer so I may not have noticed, or even been aware of something not sounding/acting right. When I got home and the trailer was on the landing pad that had a bit of downhill slope, I believe it probably became more obvious, especially when the slide began to slow down (coming in) and the motor began to really groan/strain.

It all boils down to two issues....
1. Sloppy/uncraftsman like work by the builder/installer of the slide
2. Quality Control failure of finding it.

I realize that "stuff" happens, but as a Craftsman myself, we/they should strive for doing our work to the best of our abilities. I am a Journeyman Electrician and do high voltage work (2300, 4160, and 13.8 Kv) where you seldom get any second chances if you make a mistake.

As far as checking your Impact, download and print out the 16 page Accu-Slide manual, familiarize yourself with it and the slide operation, then make sure that the looking nuts are secure on the chain/cable adjuster. As an added precaution, I put lock nuts on every single cable adjuster also.....8 total per slide times 2 slides= 16 nuts. They are 1/4 - 20 size and can be bought everywhere.

Here is a link for the Accu-Slide website..... http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem...de/index.shtml. Scroll down the page and you will see a place to click on and download the manual I'm talking about.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
tom37

I encountered the same problem with our High Country. I went to Tractor Supply and purchased some 1/4 - 20 nuts to secure the ones already there. No problems since Adding the extra nuts.

I've also found what I think is a good place to buy Accu-slide parts is colawrv.com. I thought the price of the parts were reasonable, but shipping is costly.
tom37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
I encountered the same problem with our High Country. I went to Tractor Supply and purchased some 1/4 - 20 nuts to secure the ones already there. No problems since Adding the extra nuts.

I've also found what I think is a good place to buy Accu-slide parts is colawrv.com. I thought the price of the parts were reasonable, but shipping is costly.
I'm told that Amazon sells some of the stuff also. Good info Tom.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
During the PDI, they seemed to work just fine, but remember...it was a totally level parking area...AND....this is my first ever trailer so I may not have noticed, or even been aware of something not sounding/acting right. When I got home and the trailer was on the landing pad that had a bit of downhill slope, I believe it probably became more obvious, especially when the slide began to slow down (coming in) and the motor began to really groan/strain.

It all boils down to two issues....
1. Sloppy/uncraftsman like work by the builder/installer of the slide
2. Quality Control failure of finding it.

I realize that "stuff" happens, but as a Craftsman myself, we/they should strive for doing our work to the best of our abilities. I am a Journeyman Electrician and do high voltage work (2300, 4160, and 13.8 Kv) where you seldom get any second chances if you make a mistake.

As far as checking your Impact, download and print out the 16 page Accu-Slide manual, familiarize yourself with it and the slide operation, then make sure that the looking nuts are secure on the chain/cable adjuster. As an added precaution, I put lock nuts on every single cable adjuster also.....8 total per slide times 2 slides= 16 nuts. They are 1/4 - 20 size and can be bought everywhere.

Here is a link for the Accu-Slide website..... http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem...de/index.shtml. Scroll down the page and you will see a place to click on and download the manual I'm talking about.
Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:58 AM   #8
hdrolling

bringing this back up since I'm having issues with one of my slides.

Open or closed all my cables are guitar string tight, what are you loosening on the opposing cables?

Are you loosening the one main cable per side (A) or the two cables that the one attaches to (B)?

Here's a pic I found online and labeled A and B, I need to drive out to my storage today and install an new gas regulator and want to try to tackle these cables while I'm there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	accu-slide-misadjusted-chain.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	12712  

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #9
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
bringing this back up since I'm having issues with one of my slides.

Open or closed all my cables are guitar string tight, what are you loosening on the opposing cables?

Are you loosening the one main cable per side (A) or the two cables that the one attaches to (B)?

Here's a pic I found online and labeled A and B, I need to drive out to my storage today and install an new gas regulator and want to try to tackle these cables while I'm there.

The "a" would adjust both cables equally. The "b" allows you to adjust cables individually if necessary. Sometimes one adjustment nut will be maxed out so you will have the use the other.

If "a" doesn't have any more adjustment to it, you can use "b" but need to adjust both cables the same (unless you intend to adjust them individually).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
xrated

Just to be sure, download AND print out the manual that I put up the link to. As I stated, run the slide at least half way or more, out. The other 4 cables should have the recommended amount of slack in them.....the "in" cables. You are going to adjust the individual cables....the ones that you have labelled "B". Remember, there are four blocks in there.

Red and Purple blocks are the "Out" cables
Blue and Green are the "In" cables

So if you have run the slide out let's say half way, all 4 of the Red and Purple cables will be tight. Those 4 cables are for the top right bottom right, top left, and bottom left of the slide. Do not move the slide at this time!!!! Check the other 4 cables....the ones that come off of the Blue and Green blocks. Those should be the cables that have a bit of slack in them.....top right, bottom right, top left, and bottom left. Those are the cables that "pull" the slide back in. Once you get them adjusted with the correct slack, AND LOCKED DOWN, run the slide the rest of the way out and check the slack again. If needed, make further adjustments. If the slack is OK, run the slide back in at least half way. NOW check the cables that were pulling the slide OUT, and since you are pulling it IN, the "OUT" cables will be the ones that have a bit of slack.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just to be sure, download AND print out the manual that I put up the link to. As I stated, run the slide at least half way or more, out. The other 4 cables should have the recommended amount of slack in them.....the "in" cables. You are going to adjust the individual cables....the ones that you have labelled "B". Remember, there are four blocks in there.

Red and Purple blocks are the "Out" cables
Blue and Green are the "In" cables

So if you have run the slide out let's say half way, all 4 of the Red and Purple cables will be tight. Those 4 cables are for the top right bottom right, top left, and bottom left of the slide. Do not move the slide at this time!!!! Check the other 4 cables....the ones that come off of the Blue and Green blocks. Those should be the cables that have a bit of slack in them.....top right, bottom right, top left, and bottom left. Those are the cables that "pull" the slide back in. Once you get them adjusted with the correct slack, AND LOCKED DOWN, run the slide the rest of the way out and check the slack again. If needed, make further adjustments. If the slack is OK, run the slide back in at least half way. NOW check the cables that were pulling the slide OUT, and since you are pulling it IN, the "OUT" cables will be the ones that have a bit of slack.
Thanks I downloaded the manual from your link but it didn't explain which cable (A or B) to loosen.
I haven't put up a ladder to look at my cables yet, I'm guessing once I see them I'll get a better idea of which one's to loosen. I can see on the (A) cable where it might not have enough adjustment to loosen enough.

It wasn't doing this the first summer we had it, not sure how the cables tighten up on this one slide?

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
xrated

Most likely, the reason that they tighened up is because there are no "real" locknuts on the adjustment mechanism. A cheap piece of foam is suppose to be the "locking" mechanism. I just shook my head when I saw that and promptly climbed down, went into my garage and grabbed a handful of 1/4 - 20 nuts and put them on the adjusting rods when I was done. I locked them down against the adjusting nuts so that nothing could vibrate them loose. I've not had any issues since. I'm sure there will come a time when they may need adjusting again, but hopefully it is only because of the cable stretching a bit.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
Erin Barr

Fuzion 403 kith/LR slides are slow

Just bought a Fuzion Chrome 403 and the kitchen and living room slides are moving in and out very slow and sometimes stop during operation. I printed the manual and made a few minor adjustments as the “in” cables were like guitar strings when moving out and “out” cables the same on the “in” movement. The bedroom slides in and out effortlessly with no struggle. My batteries are brand new. Are my motors weak or is there something I missed? Planning to call DAL tomorrow as the nearest service center is over an hour away.
Erin Barr is offline   Reply With Quote