Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
SXSRider

'17 F250 and Impact - slider hitch needed?

Hello anybody pulling a Impact 351 with a late model F250 without a slider hitch? I am strongly considering this model in the near future.
SXSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSRider View Post
Hello anybody pulling a Impact 351 with a late model F250 without a slider hitch? I am strongly considering this model in the near future.
Hopefully, you're not seriously considering an Impact 351 and an F250 together. You are CLEARLY into 1 Ton territory with that trailer....and probably a Dually. GVWR on the trailer is right at 17,000 lbs
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Funny, I was just looking at one of these online a few minutes ago. Was doing the math and figured it would be a stretch for my 1 ton Duramax Sierra SRW. Dry pin weight empty is 3000 lbs. My payload is 3900. Just too close by the time me, the DW, 3 dogs and a cooler get in the truck we'll surely be overloaded. Nice trailer. I have an Impact 312 that I love. Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
SXSRider

The truck has over 12k in capacity between the axles and tires. If you think a helper leaf makes a F350 so much a safer then good for you. You do realize that a F250 with a camper package is a F350 right. A payload sticker is for taxation purposes. can do my own calculations the question is about a hitch..
Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
The truck has over 12k in capacity between the axles and tires. If you think a helper leaf makes a F350 so much a safer then good for you. You do realize that a F250 with a camper package is a F350 right. A payload sticker is for taxation purposes. can do my own calculations the question is about a hitch..
You posted your question in an open forum. The answers you get are not always going to be the ones you want to hear. It's how it works and it is not going to change.

There's already a long and interesting thread about your exact question currently in progress. The specific make, model, etc. of the truck and the trailer really doesn't matter. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30936 The answer you seek is in that thread and several previous ones dating back several years. It's all the same conversation.l

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Seems like this has been discussed a lot of times. In the end, weather it’s for taxation purposes or not, if something goes wrong, and your involved in an accident, the weight rating sticker will rule.
If your state starts weighing rigs like Ca. Is doing and your over the sticker rating, you can have your RV impounded on the spot and not get it back until you bring a tow vehicle rated to tow it.

Yeah this thread is about a hitch, but when members see something that can be of concern, they point it out in case the person asking might not be aware of the potential dangers. I only hope you take their advice and think about what could happen.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Since you are looking at a slider, I'm guessing that you have a short bed, but you didn't say.

Some on here have towed with a slider, some without, all have their opinions about why they chose to do it their way. Search is your friend on these things. The trailer model really matters little, as it's the weight being towed that's the problem. And how close you are comfortable getting to your cab.

As I stated, when looking at the pin weight of this trailer, it's tight with a 350 single rear wheel, so it is equally (maybe, opinions differ on this) or way over a 250 capability. You are really in dually territory almost. It depends a lot on your comfort level in towing heavy with family or strangers involved.

This is not an indictment on your truck. It is just a look at the numbers you are dealing with. That unloaded 3000 lbs pin weight will only go up once loaded. With a cargo capacity of 4000 lbs with 20% of that going to the pin, that's potentially an additional 800 lbs of pin weight. That's a s=!t load of weight right there.

No one's trying to be mean or doubting your abilities. You are new on the forum (welcome, glad you're here) and we don't know if you've even had a camper before. Knowing the guys who have responded, they are good guys with nothing but your best interests in mind. If they raise concerns, it's because they care, that's all.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #8
roadglide

Well I'm pulling 311 impact with 2500 duramax, I have had it on cat scale 3 times with quad, Harley and full water and fuel, dump the water I'm 60 lbs under max loading the garage makes difference loaded . I up graded rims tires and air bags the exhaust brakes on Chevy is excellent the truck brakes are over half 75 k and towing mostly. I'm comfortable if you get into accident your fault there's trouble. I spent 2 months in California visiting the national parks I felt comfortable. Your truck is probably good with 12k gvw .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #9
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Well I'm pulling 311 impact with 2500 duramax, I have had it on cat scale 3 times with quad, Harley and full water and fuel, dump the water I'm 60 lbs under max loading the garage makes difference loaded . I up graded rims tires and air bags the exhaust brakes on Chevy is excellent the truck brakes are over half 75 k and towing mostly. I'm comfortable if you get into accident your fault there's trouble. I spent 2 months in California visiting the national parks I felt comfortable. Your truck is probably good with 12k gvw .
If you are referring to the trailer as 12K GVW, it's not! The trailer GVWR is right at 17K. And no matter how you slice it, the F250 is simply not enough truck for a trailer the size of the one he's looking at.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:01 AM   #10
notanlines

I can't add anything to what has already been said concerning GVW, 3/4 ton trucks and max payloads. But most members here know I'm a big proponent of the CAT Scales. And most will remember my post concerning loading the garage with the Roadking and sidecar. Almost four years ago, when we bought our Raptor, I weighed the rig at the CAT Scale, unloaded JUST the bike and sidecar (1,060#) and immediately reweighed. The difference in the pin weight was 75 pounds if I remember correctly. Do NOT go through life thinking that you can load up your garage and it will lighten your pin weight significantly. Ain't gonna happen! CrazyCain, I'm having popcorn for breakfast!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 AM   #11
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I can't add anything to what has already been said concerning GVW, 3/4 ton trucks and max payloads. But most members here know I'm a big proponent of the CAT Scales. And most will remember my post concerning loading the garage with the Roadking and sidecar. Almost four years ago, when we bought our Raptor, I weighed the rig at the CAT Scale, unloaded JUST the bike and sidecar (1,060#) and immediately reweighed. The difference in the pin weight was 75 pounds if I remember correctly. Do NOT go through life thinking that you can load up your garage and it will lighten your pin weight significantly. Ain't gonna happen! CrazyCain, I'm having popcorn for breakfast!
I thought if I loaded both bikes in ours with a combined weight of about 1700lbs, I would, because of using the axles for leverage, be able to take about 2500lbs off of my pin weight....but now darn, I'm going to have to rethink all this...Lol!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:35 AM   #12
Racebug

I load my 3000 lbs race car in the back of mine and it takes 300+ lbs off the pin. Whats wrong with that??

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
I load my 3000 lbs race car in the back of mine and it takes 300+ lbs off the pin. Whats wrong with that??
Absolutely nothing, as long as the T.H. is capable of carrying that much weight....BUT, you're not towing your trailer with a 3/4Ton truck either, which is the point that I made very early on.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #14
SXSRider

From everything I have read (a lot) on various RV forums nobody is getting citations for being over the payload numbers only axle and tire ratings. I do not intend to exceed these nor do I plan fully load the trailer. I will not exceed the GCWR. I am currently looking at my options and may go with something smaller. Look around a ton of guys are towing toyhauler s wth 3/4 tons yet how many stories of horrify crashes do you hear? Way more front wheel blow outs on MHs that 5th wheel incidents. Yeah you gain stability with a dually but a SWR 1 T can easily be replicated with a 3/4T.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

But, but, Momma, Billy did it too !!!!! Yup, that makes it legitimate to all who hear it !!!

From your reading, "nobody is getting citations for being over the payload numbers".... From my reading, less than 1% of drunk drivers get caught and receive citations.... That doesn't make drunk driving "OK" because most don't get caught nor does it make overloaded towing any more "legitimate" because you "probably won't get caught".

Do what you will (this site and the comments here won't change your mind) but realize that any "hungry lawyer" will castrate you at the first opportunity, so enter into overloaded towing with your eyes open, not "shadowed by the romance sold by an RV salesman, of making do with what you've got"....... If you can't afford to buy the proper equipment, do you really have the assets to play the odds of losing? And, if you can afford the proper equipment, why would you compromise by using "less than adequate" equipment???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
xrated

Not to be argumentative, but there are some other differences between the F250 and the F350 besides the springs. Axle spline size is bigger, and a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Just curious, what does the yellow/white payload sticker on your door post say for payload capacity?

Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
From everything I have read (a lot) on various RV forums nobody is getting citations for being over the payload numbers only axle and tire ratings. I do not intend to exceed these nor do I plan fully load the trailer. I will not exceed the GCWR. I am currently looking at my options and may go with something smaller. Look around a ton of guys are towing toyhauler s wth 3/4 tons yet how many stories of horrify crashes do you hear? Way more front wheel blow outs on MHs that 5th wheel incidents. Yeah you gain stability with a dually but a SWR 1 T can easily be replicated with a 3/4T.
Get the slider, get the trailer, go have fun and stay safe and out of everyone's way.

You've already made up your mind on what is acceptable to you so it doesn't matter what anyone who disagrees with you says, regardless of the logic presented and certainly not the passion expressed. That is your choice, just like it's other's choice to disagree. That's part of why this is a great and helpful forum.

These discussions always deteriorate into a lot of hurt feelings, so it will be watched closely. Let's keep it civil and try to stay on task by helping with the slider issue. Maybe this thread will be different. Maybe.....

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Pullrite super glide is the way to go!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #19
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Not to be argumentative, but there are some other differences between the F250 and the F350 besides the springs. Axle spline size is bigger, and a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Just curious, what does the yellow/white payload sticker on your door post say for payload capacity?

Can't help to think that the brakes are better on a 1 ton over a 3/4 and possibly the ring and pinion would be a larger diameter on a 1 ton also. My question is, if the OP doesn't already have the truck, why would he spend money on one that wasn't enough truck to handle the 5ver he's liking only to turn around and throw more money at the truck to make it something else when he could just go buy the something else and have the truck he needs?? The ride might be better on the 3/4 ton over the 1 ton but only until he makes the required upgrades. So whats the point?? Just thinking outloud.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
kfxgreenie

You don't need no stinkin slider or heavy hitch to take away from your "payload"

https://andersenhitches.com/Products...k-version.aspx

Uh-oh now I dun it. Added the 2nd most controversial subject beyond the 3/4 ton "payload" (the first most controversial subject)
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, slide