Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

WiFi/cable etc

When looking for campgrounds in a new area I usually rely on review sites and my own research. I’ve come to notice that lately more and more ppl are bad reviewing places based on WIFI or cable availability. We’re camping. Are that many people that concerned with this. First off it slants the reviews. Some crappy campground with great WiFi is getting five stars. And a beautiful campground with poor WiFi gets 2 or 3. I can’t believe this is where it’s come to. I am young enough to think I’m tech savvy and have kids so I get that. But camping. Take a break from it. Enjoy it. I have prob only connected the cable once, during a week of rain, during the election, in an area with no cell service in the 5/6 years we have been camping. I would never book based on TV availability. Or satellite reception. Or WiFi. Are ppl out there really that concerned with this. Also lots of campgrounds are addressing this issue as well. Adding WiFi all over the campground. So now campgrounds are raising rates and skipping other upgrades to add cable and WiFi to the great outdoors. I just don’t get it.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
xranchflunky

Oh, so true! We rarely stay (2-3 times in 40 plus years of RVing) at a commercial campground so never think of WiFi or TV reception. So nice to just disconnect...
xranchflunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
Racebug

We spent 4 nights at a campground last week that had no cable, no "air" reception or cell reception. it was nice!

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I chuckle when I read the descriptions of a multi-TV system complete with DVD players, sling boxes, Netflix/and computer interface systems to display movies from a hard drive or from a smart phone and in a "sister post" the poster asks if a single GP24 battery will run it all with the help of his 30 watt solar system.... I'm not trying to belittle the posters of such questions and comments, we all establish our "wants/needs" for what we expect with our payment for a campsite, but they are truly "revealing" of how some people envision "camping" differently from others....

While few of us are "camping" in the truest definition, most of us haven't yet progressed to the point of requiring a complete "home based entertainment system" in our RV. Heck, I'm still toying with whether or not to install a outside antenna for the radio. BTW, we finally got "broadband internet" in our neighborhood. Previously, it was dialup or satellite. We're progressing, albeit slowly and with deliberation..... Next is looking for a "smart TV" to go along with unlimited download capability....... As for the Cougar, I might just order an outside antenna for the radio after all.....

So, for me at least, WIFI and cable TV in a campground are luxuries and not necessities. I'd much rather have enough space to deploy the awning, few (if any) bugs, quiet hours that are enforced, clean campsites and sufficient power available to run the air conditioner without burning things up in a brown-out......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
I would never book based on TV availability. Or satellite reception. Or WiFi. Are ppl out there really that concerned with this. Also lots of campgrounds are addressing this issue as well. Adding WiFi all over the campground. So now campgrounds are raising rates and skipping other upgrades to add cable and WiFi to the great outdoors. I just don’t get it.
^^^ What he said!
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

While it may not matter to the OP or myself it obviously does to others. We all go camping for different reasons. I guess you could ask why do people need a pool at a cg, or electricity, or a camper for that matter. You have to look at any opinion on a cg as just that, an opinion JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
DocP

To each, their own.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Bisjoe

Our favorite sites have no cable and wi-fi only only near the office or clubhouse, not where we would be parked. That's what a smart TV, personal hotspot and big data limit are for. We did a 3 day weekend and used the iPad and our personal hotspot for TV and internet, and still didn't go over our monthly limit. If we didn't have that, we would just have to do without TV, and watch Youtube videos or otherwise entertain ourselves in the evenings.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I agree; to each their own. For us, we can't figure out WHY folks want to go "camping" but rate a campground down if it doesn't have a large pool with amenities, big clubhouse, activities for the kids etc. Why? It's the last thing we would go for - we tend to try to make/find our own fun, but some think it's horrible if it doesn't have it.

Some feel that way about wifi and/or tv. I wouldn't rate a campground on those things alone; they are a plus but not what you go for IMO. Our needs for wifi differ on the kind of trip we take. A few days to a week; who cares. 1-5 months; gotta have it. I take care of too much stuff via the internet to not have it for that extended a time. I even have a dedicated loop installed at our site in FL every winter by the local ISP. My "wants" in that regard have no bearing on my assessment of the campground. TV has no bearing for us since we don't watch it.

The folks that own RVs these days have changed tremendously from when I first started using one. Back then it WAS to camp. Now, there are so many types of folks, many who have never seen the back woods - nor would care to, with so many reasons to be in an RV you just don't know. Just look around at the next campground you're in. Folks from all walks of life, of every age, looking for whatever they think is important. Many now LIVE in an RV. In that scenario I can see someone wanting to have all kinds of amenities and extras since it is "home". On the other hand, if one is living in an RV, to me it should be moving around; not sitting in the same campground year round wishing for a bigger pool, golf course, golf cart course, party house, shuffleboard etc.....you get my drift.

I read the reviews too and take a note of them. I just take them with a grain of salt too. A long story to answer your question "has it come to this?" Unfortunately, yes it has seems like.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, wifi