Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Sinton4616

Adding cedar to closet

I purchased a 15SQ FT box of cedar planks that are 1/4 x 3 3/4 inch with the intent of adding cedar to every drawer, cabinet and closet. Figure it would be easy to install in the drawers, just a dab or two of a construction adhesive should hold it in place.

Anyone have an idea on what to use on the closet? Wasn't planning on nailing in and wonder if anyone else has done the same.

Would like to line the whole closet, but if I only get a strip or two in the bottom and a couple above the shelf, would also work.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Dave W

first of all, make sure you can handle the odor in a small area such as a trailer. If so, then Liquid Nails or a similar product like Loctite adhesive that you can find at any Big Box store.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Sinton4616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
first of all, make sure you can handle the odor in a small area such as a trailer. If so, then Liquid Nails or a similar product like Loctite adhesive that you can find at any Big Box store.
Think I'll add the two strips at the bottom of the closet and two above the shelf. See how DW likes it. IF so, can glue then.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

You could also drill holes at the ends of each slat and hang them from the closet rod. Make a chain of them as long as you want. That way you can take them with you and the next owner isn't stuck with them. I love the smell, but unfortunately I'm allergic.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
jimthemosaicguy

Adding cedar to closet

I’ve been thinking about doing cedar as well. I also want insulate the closet because it gets real hot during the summer and cold during the winter.

So, I’ve been thinking about taking insulfoam board, cut one to the size of the back wall. And cut the side wall so the corner edge butts up against the corner of the back wall then glue the cedar planks to the insulfoam, put the panels in place and tack a 3/4“ piece of cedar cove moulding down each corner.

Nothing gets permanently attached to the slide walls. And the corner moulding holds everything in place.
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
FlyingAroundRV

You could also use some of the 3M command strips to attach it. That way, if you don't like it, you can easily remove it without damaging the trailer surfaces.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote