Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
cjcoult

TV reception great on 1 tv bad on other tv

2018 Cougar 366rds. Antenna and Booster located above bedroom and bedroom TV gets great reception (30 stations this past weekend). But main TV in living room at other end of trailer got only 7 stations and only 1 main network station. Yes booster was on and yes scanned a couple times. Summit TVs. Why would the main TV get that bad of reception?
cjcoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Antenna coax is attached to the booster. Bedroom TV coax is connected directly to the booster. If you take the booster out, you will see coax connect d to the back. They will be ANT, CABLE, TV2. Check the TV2 coax, making sure it’s secure. Try a slight tug and if the coax pulls right out, replace the end. If there is more than just the “main” and bedroom TV, then your looking for a splitter downstream on the TV2 coax.

If you have enough coax, run a test cable from the main TV directly to the booster to rule out a bad tuner.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Tbos

TV reception great on 1 tv bad on other tv

I have a similar issue in my Alpine. Still haven’t found the hidden splitter. It’s hidden behind a wall somewhere. My dealer has strong OTA signals where they are so they can’t duplicate the issue. I just need to spend more time looking. FYI, both TVs work well on cable.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Are both TV's the same? I have a different TV in my BR & it gets more channels from the antenna than the LR tv.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
cjcoult

both tvs are summit
cjcoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If one TV gets good reception and one gets poor reception, probably the easiest way for a "layman" to determine whether it's the TV or the cable is to take the "known good TV" and connect it to the "suspected bad location". If the TV works in that location, then it's not the cable. To verify the "bad TV" just connect it to the "known good cable position". If it doesn't work any better, then you know it's the TV. If it works great, then contact your dealer's service department and explain what you did and let them troubleshoot the problem.

Chances are by doing the above "good TV connection to the "bad cable location" you'll isolate the problem and know which needs to be repaired/replaced......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Buck1032

We are having the same issue on our Cougar X-Lite. It became an issue while camping at Ft Wilderness this past week. Last year we put a Samsung TV in the living room and moved the Summit brand TV into the master bed room. Last year both TV's would scan and receive same channels. This past week the Samsung would only get two channels. We ran a coax from the bed room output to the Samsung and it worked, as in got all the channels. While we were busy having fun at Disney and Universal Studios, in the evenings I started pulling face plates and checking connections on the splitters. When I do find my issue I will post here.

The DW reminded me to pass along that every connection i checked was loose. I pulled the bunk coax plate, the outside coax plate, the bedroom plates and the plate behind the living room TV. All were pretty loose with several connections barely connected.
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
HandymanK

Hi, I too had a problem with the TV reception in the living room. I have a 17 359MBI and have 3 TVs hooked up. Bedroom next to booster comes in with the most and bunkroom had half and living room was less. Changed out the splitter in the living room (behind the fireplace) with one that cost a few bucks and got just as many channels as the bedroom. So to spend a "couple" of bucks on a quality splitter maybe the cheapest answer without a lot of tech knowledge required. I still need to update like 4 more in hidden spots.
HandymanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #9
Buck1032

I went out yesterday and inspected a bit more. I pulled down the TV booster and found two of the output coax cables very loose, as in 3 to 4 full turns to tighten. I am not 100% sure this that is going to fix my issue but I feel it will help. As we dont have cable at home to test it, I did the over the air scan on both TV's and got the same channels on both. I am going to continue to chase each coax and tighten all connections i can find.
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
Snoking

This issue of cable installs and failure to correct tighten connector is pretty much universal across all makes and models. Our 2017 Bighorn was the same. Maybe Joe or Jose(or what ever is his name) travels around each day at the factories in Indiana doing the cabling.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
BAK

I'd check to see if the DVD/stereo receiver has its antenna input connected into the coax run via a splitter. I had the same issue with my cable/satellite signal to the main tv and traced it down to the DVD/Stereo antenna being tied into the main TV coax run. Once I disconnected that connection my picture cleared up immediately and is as good as bedroom tv.

BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Thumbs up Keystone foibles

Like just about every Keystone owner (based on comments here), TV didn’t work properly in our 2018 Montana High Country. Satellite was crappy, and could NOT hold a signal. After monumental conversations with Camping World, Dish, etc and opening the walls, I found that Keystone used Diplexers in their cabling. Diplexers suffer from the same issue as noted by others: satellite signals can not travel through them (sometimes OK for a while, but not for long). We switched out our new Dish antenna, Wally, cables, etc. After fighting with Keystone and Camping World, I must admit Camping World came thrugh for me. The CW new sales department in Strafford, MO removed ALL the Keystone cabling; ran dedicated cables to each TV for Antenna, Cable, and Satellite! Cost CW about $1,500 for the job. No Diplexers, or any other item, inline. Dish antenna now holds its signal without issue. Also: for those complaining about tank sensors not displaying, or not displaying correctly, CW fixed Keystone’s crappy construction! Replaced all sensors (actually installed a second sensor on each tank at thew standard levels), replaced the display control panel, then installed a new Keystone witring harness. But wait: the tanks STILL wouldn’t display right!!! So CW jerked out the brand new Keystone wiring harness, and hard wired each sensor to the control panel. Now we can watch tank levels drop as we drain them. Last test was yesterday: CW filled both gray tanks and the black tank. Then drained each tank as I watched the levels drop. CW and other sellers shouldn’t be Keystone’s last ten yards of its assembly line, but Keystone just doesn’t do a good construction job. The CW service chief says it’s standard for Keystone products (and other brands, too) to not function properly; that they even find different sized tanks or other components than what is supposed to be there. This job, which took many, many weeks, came to another $1,200 for parts and labor. CW paid for it. I denigrate CW often, but CW came through for us, BIGTIME. They even winterized our unit and installed shutoff valves to the washing machine as I didn’t want to have to winterize those faucets as we won’t be using a washing machine. Again, CW didn’t charge me! So if you have problems with TV and tanks, they CAN BE FIXED! Just costs a lot and means a lot of work.
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #13
MarknLeanna

Same here. 2018 Cougar 366RLS. Had the cable TV company come out and found the cable is not working correctly. Connections are all fine. The problem seems to be the cable running from the BR TV to the LR TV. Sounds like Keystone is consistent. Resolved the problem by placing ROKU on the LR TV and get all cable TV channels via WIFI. If you don't have WIFI, obviously this won't work. Good luck to all.
MarknLeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #14
Huck

I had the same issue with my 2018 Cougar Halfton 30RLS. Bedroom TV reception good, LR TV reception no good. After changing terminations, tightening loose connectors, and replacing splitters, I found that it would only clear up if I removed the coax connection to the DVD/radio.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Guywood

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I have a similar issue in my Alpine. Still haven’t found the hidden splitter. It’s hidden behind a wall somewhere. My dealer has strong OTA signals where they are so they can’t duplicate the issue. I just need to spend more time looking. FYI, both TVs work well on cable.
On my 2017 Alpine, the spliter is under the steps to the bedroom.
Guywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #16
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywood View Post
How were you able to get to the splitter under the steps? I may need to get to mine.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:45 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Most often the rear wall of the basement is removed to access the water pump, water heater and furnace. You may have to remove 2 sections.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #18
Tbos

Quote:

Good info. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #19
Guywood

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
How were you able to get to the splitter under the steps? I may need to get to mine.
As already mentioned, I removed the fake wall in the basement.
Guywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
Tbos

Quote:
As already mentioned, I removed the fake wall in the basement.

Did you have an issue and replacing the splitter helped?