Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
reddog7571

Most popular tires??

OK Folks, here is a question that I'm sure will create many choices and theories. What is the best tires to put on a 5th wheel that weights 14,000 Lbs??

I've got an Avalanche 365MB, which is around 13,700lbs.
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
66joej

Depends on the size and max pressure of the wheels.
Not all tires are available in all sizes.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
OK Folks, here is a question that I'm sure will create many choices and theories. What is the best tires to put on a 5th wheel that weights 14,000 Lbs??
Im almost positive, you'll get answers focused on Carslile, Maxxis, and Sailun.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
Need more info to correctly provide help.

Year
Make
Model
GVWR
GAWR
Current tires installed, including type(LT or ST) size and weight rating.
Center to center axle spacing
Clearance above the tires

Chris
Old 09-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Im almost positive, you'll get answers focused on Carslile, Maxxis, and Sailun.
I would replace Carlisle and Maxxis on your list with the newer Goodyear Endurance trailer tire. It has become the new go to ST tire.

Chris
Old 09-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I would replace Carlisle and Maxxis on your list with the newer Goodyear Endurance trailer tire. It has become the new go to ST tire.

Chris
I would suggest "ADD" the newer Goodyear Endurance to the list, not replace Carlisle and Maxxis. They remain solid choices in every manufactured size and have not slipped in quality or economy. While Goodyear seems to have produced a good tire in the Endurance line, there is only about a 12-18 month history of brand use and the "buy in cost" is nearly double that of Carlisle and about 25% more than Maxxis. Future reports may prove your suggestion to be accurate, but at this time, it's not the "go to tire" but still the "new kid on the block", a rival but not a superior product....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I would suggest "ADD" the newer Goodyear Endurance to the list, not replace Carlisle and Maxxis. They remain solid choices in every manufactured size and have not slipped in quality or economy. While Goodyear seems to have produced a good tire in the Endurance line, there is only about a 12-18 month history of brand use and the "buy in cost" is nearly double that of Carlisle and about 25% more than Maxxis. Future reports may prove your suggestion to be accurate, but at this time, it's not the "go to tire" but still the "new kid on the block", a rival but not a superior product....
Well there are still reports of Carlisle failures despite several changes to them and Maxxis is not perfect either. Goodyear will stand behind their product 100% including paying for trailer damage if you follow their required steps of having a dealer return the tire for them to look at and you are firm with them about them picking up the whole tab, not just your insurance deductible.

Chris
Old 09-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Well there are still reports of Carlisle failures despite several changes to them and Maxxis is not perfect either. Goodyear will stand behind their product 100% including paying for trailer damage if you follow their required steps of having a dealer return the tire for them to look at and you are firm with them about them picking up the whole tab, not just your insurance deductible.

Chris
This is the first I've heard of Goodyear standing behind their new tire line "100%" and paying the full repair bill for trailer damage. Do you have any documented instances of this?

If one considers both sides of what you're saying, "there are still reports of Carlisle failures" and "Goodyear will pay for all damages" What's not being stated is: Goodyear tires must be failing or there would be no reports of Goodyear paying for repairs ????

Not to be argumentative, but where can I find the reliability documentation and/or the statements of paid repairs?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
ChuckS

Just about any 14 ply G rated tire if your wheels are rated at 110 psi. Sailun Tires well worth it and a heck of a lot less cost than GY G614s

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
travelin texans

I've had the GY 614s & replaced them with Sailun, have had NO issues with either. The Sailuns were about 1/2 the price of the GYs, so with that in mind they should cover all damages if you have a blowout. I saved enough buying the Sailun tires to more than double my deductible if there were to be a problem.
I've also had Carlisle, Max is, & a couple different unfamiliar brands on different rvs & the only problem I've EVER had was when I put LT tires on my 1st big 5er, not again.
This topic is like "which is the best tow vehicle", will NEVER be solved, so you have to do your best to make the decision yourself.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

TRAILER KING! These fine tires produce more discussion than all other brands put together.

I will say that wheel size and type sort of limits the choices for any trailer. I have 15" rims so my choices are TRAILER KING (just kidding), Carlisle, Maxxis and Goodyear as far as decent brands go. Might be missing something but I like E rated tires on my trailer even though it only specs D. No Sailuns in my future. I am also kind of leery about LT tires. So much contraversy regarding LT tires I just am not sure.

I have seen 15" 12 ply tires out there on the market (Hercules for one) but specs are hard to find; I mostly have seen generic specs that say inflate 95 PSI which creates its own issues. All the 12 PLY tires were what I would call off brands (never heard of any of them and country of origin is likely in the Far East but eBay seems to have stopped forcing sellers to disclose the country of origin.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
TRAILER KING! These fine tires produce more discussion than all other brands put together.

I will say that wheel size and type sort of limits the choices for any trailer. I have 15" rims so my choices are TRAILER KING (just kidding), Carlisle, Maxxis and Goodyear as far as decent brands go. Might be missing something but I like E rated tires on my trailer even though it only specs D. No Sailuns in my future. I am also kind of leery about LT tires. So much contraversy regarding LT tires I just am not sure.

I have seen 15" 12 ply tires out there on the market (Hercules for one) but specs are hard to find; I mostly have seen generic specs that say inflate 95 PSI which creates its own issues. All the 12 PLY tires were what I would call off brands (never heard of any of them and country of origin is likely in the Far East but eBay seems to have stopped forcing sellers to disclose the country of origin.
So what you're saying is, Trailer Kings are the Joker of the trailer tire court of public opinion?
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
Javi

To me it seems that as long as you buy one of the major brands, in the maximum load range that your wheels will allow.. you are good to go..

I replace my tires every two years because you lose 10% of the load capacity each year.. In my case (80 lbs wheels) I can't afford to gamble on going longer..
Old 09-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
So what you're saying is, Trailer Kings are the Joker of the trailer tire court of public opinion?
I am saying Trailer Kings have an unparalled reputation! They undoubtedly give the most BANG for the buck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #15
notanlines

Actually, Snorking, I disagree. No history on the tire, and only a few buyers. Maybe someday. Good as their Marathons?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
To me it seems that as long as you buy one of the major brands, in the maximum load range that your wheels will allow.. you are good to go..

I replace my tires every two years because you lose 10% of the load capacity each year.. In my case (80 lbs wheels) I can't afford to gamble on going longer..
Every two years, if you put some real tires LT 235/85-16 E's on that 5er you could easily go five to six years.

In my opinion ST tires are just a designation that allows sale on poor quality tires, that only get a high weight capacity due to a low speed rating.
Every time I see post about an ST tire failure they state they brushed a curb or hit a pothole. Well how many times do you do that with your TV's LT tire and not really worry about it??
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #17
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Actually, Snorking, I disagree. No history on the tire, and only a few buyers. Maybe someday. Good as their Marathons?
"only a few buyers" They are OEM on Jayco's. Jayco was the pilot buyer of these tires before GY released them to the general public. It is the go to tire for many users here, RV.net and across the net. Goodyear canned the Marathon when they released the Endurance. They put a lot of effort into this tire before releasing with the Endurance name, which is the trade name for some of the commercial tires.

Chris
Old 09-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #18
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is the first I've heard of Goodyear standing behind their new tire line "100%" and paying the full repair bill for trailer damage. Do you have any documented instances of this?

If one considers both sides of what you're saying, "there are still reports of Carlisle failures" and "Goodyear will pay for all damages" What's not being stated is: Goodyear tires must be failing or there would be no reports of Goodyear paying for repairs ????

Not to be argumentative, but where can I find the reliability documentation and/or the statements of paid repairs?
Because their extending this coverage is in conflict with their written warranty, the only documentation is in the form of personal experiences posted on internet forums. Tire has to be returned for them to look at, and make a determination of cause. Once they find the tire at fault they get back to you and ask for a damage estimate. Chris
Old 09-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Because their extending this coverage is in conflict with their written warranty, the only documentation is in the form of personal experiences posted on internet forums. Tire has to be returned for them to look at, and make a determination of cause. Once they find the tire at fault they get back to you and ask for a damage estimate. Chris
So, it sounds like you're saying that there's no documentation but some people on a forum said that Goodyear is "good for the bill". Well, on other forums, (this one comes to mind) that's not what's being said....

Seems to me it's like this:

1 opinion + 1 opinion = 2 opinions
2 opinions + 2 opinions = 4 opnions
Any opinions DO NOT equal fact....

Again, without belaboring the conversation, Goodyear has a DISMAL track record with the Marathon ST tire line and a long track record of failure and death with the G159 line on motorhomes, so Goodyear is not the "believe it because you read it on a forum" kind of company. At least that's the way it is for me.

I "amended" your statement: "The new Goodyear ST tire replaces Carlisle and Maxxis" to "The new Goodyear ST tire ADDS to the list"....

Finally, YOUR opinion + MY opinion = 2 opinions
I still haven't seen your facts to support the statement that NO ST tires other than Goodyear should be on the list, which is the basis for the entire rebuttal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Every two years, if you put some real tires LT 235/85-16 E's on that 5er you could easily go five to six years.

In my opinion ST tires are just a designation that allows sale on poor quality tires, that only get a high weight capacity due to a low speed rating.
Every time I see post about an ST tire failure they state they brushed a curb or hit a pothole. Well how many times do you do that with your TV's LT tire and not really worry about it??
Well.... let me see.... Nope

LT tires degrade each year of service as well...

Find me a 235/85-16R tire that gives 3400+ lbs. of load capacity at 80 lbs.. inflation max..

Paying $600 or so every two years and then selling the takeoff tires for $150 - $200 is cheap insurance...

Tags
tires