Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 06:26 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, it sounds like you're saying that there's no documentation but some people on a forum said that Goodyear is "good for the bill". Well, on other forums, (this one comes to mind) that's not what's being said....

Seems to me it's like this:

1 opinion + 1 opinion = 2 opinions
2 opinions + 2 opinions = 4 opnions
Any opinions DO NOT equal fact....

Again, without belaboring the conversation, Goodyear has a DISMAL track record with the Marathon ST tire line and a long track record of failure and death with the G159 line on motorhomes, so Goodyear is not the "believe it because you read it on a forum" kind of company. At least that's the way it is for me.

I "amended" your statement: "The new Goodyear ST tire replaces Carlisle and Maxxis" to "The new Goodyear ST tire ADDS to the list"....

Finally, YOUR opinion + MY opinion = 2 opinions
I still haven't seen your facts to support the statement that NO ST tires other than Goodyear should be on the list, which is the basis for the entire rebuttal.
'cause he bought a set...

"cause the internet said so...

Old 09-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #22
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Well.... let me see.... Nope

LT tires degrade each year of service as well...

Find me a 235/85-16R tire that gives 3400+ lbs. of load capacity at 80 lbs.. inflation max..

Paying $600 or so every two years and then selling the takeoff tires for $150 - $200 is cheap insurance...
What you point out is the long standing dilemma between ST and LT tires. Because ST are not designed for vehicles carrying people, they are allowed to meet different testing standard and carry higher load ratings. It is not that they are built better.

Take the Michelin XPS Rib or Brdigestone Duravis R250. Few other LRE LT235/85R16 tires come even close to the capabilities for these two tires. They however are tested to the standard for vehicle carrying people and comply to those standards. Note: I have used both. Ribs ran 6.5 years and 40+ miles and sold on CL for 200 bucks, the R250s had 4 years of service when trailer was sold.

These tire debates have been occurring for years across the net. Finally there are a couple mainstream tire manufacturers getting back into the game of producing a ST that is made for more than local service on utility type trailers. It has been a hard fought battle with tire parts spread across America's highways and damage done to thousands of travel trailers.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Let me see if I understand this correctly.
Someone on the internet said.......
They saw Bigfoot, Nessi, Mothman,........
The government blew up the twin towers on 9/11
The mob, CIA, Secret Service, Russian Spy, Cuban assassin, LBJ, aliens killed JFK
Cell phones cause gas stations to explode
Aliens are abducting thousands of people in rural America
You don't have to pay taxes
And now Goodyear is paying for damage that their infallible, never have failed ST tires have caused as a goodwill gesture but apparently you must know a secret password or handshake to get it.
Did I miss something?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #24
notanlines

Flybouy, AND Maryland beat Texas yesterday, again, oops, that’s actually true....sorry!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #25
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, it sounds like you're saying that there's no documentation but some people on a forum said that Goodyear is "good for the bill". Well, on other forums, (this one comes to mind) that's not what's being said....

Seems to me it's like this:

1 opinion + 1 opinion = 2 opinions

2 opinions + 2 opinions = 4 opnions

Any opinions DO NOT equal fact....

Again, without belaboring the conversation, Goodyear has a DISMAL track record with the Marathon ST tire line and a long track record of failure and death with the G159 line on motorhomes, so Goodyear is not the "believe it because you read it on a forum" kind of company. At least that's the way it is for me.

I "amended" your statement: "The new Goodyear ST tire replaces Carlisle and Maxxis" to "The new Goodyear ST tire ADDS to the list"....

Finally, YOUR opinion + MY opinion = 2 opinions

I still haven't seen your facts to support the statement that NO ST tires other than Goodyear should be on the list, which is the basis for the entire rebuttal.

And this reply is how you win the Internet!
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #26
Badbart56

You're ALL wrong! And I'm right. There. Settled it for you.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
You're ALL wrong! And I'm right. There. Settled it for you.....
1 opinion + 1 opinion.......

Of course, if your opinion is the same as mine, then certainly, you're right.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #28
travelin texans

This discussion sounds exactly like the one on tire pressures!!
And hitches!
And trucks!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
OK Folks, here is a question that I'm sure will create many choices and theories. What is the best tires to put on a 5th wheel that weights 14,000 Lbs??
As you have seen, many answers/opinions to your question. So, I'll offer my opinion based on my experience. My current trailer, which is a 13K GVWR tow behind Toy Hauler had the Trailer Kings on it when I bought it new. I towed it home (approx 375 miles) and of course it was empty....so about 9000 lbs. I basically parked it until I hooked up again and towed it to the Tire Discount store in my town and had a set of the Maxxis 8008 ST tires put on. This trailer is now the third one I've owned with Maxxis tires on them. The other two were enclosed trailers, not campers, but in all three cases, the Maxxis has performed flawlessly. In my opinion, the GY Endurance may end up being a great tire, but it only has about 18 months of history for it....so I went with a known reliable/quality tire. With my setup, I have approx. 650 lbs of reserve capacity per tire.....that's 2600 lbs of reserve capacity total on the tires.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Flybouy, AND Maryland beat Texas yesterday, again, oops, that’s actually true....sorry!
Sometimes truth can be stranger than fiction.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:16 PM   #31
wiredgeorge

People arguing... wow. I truly believe that if is on the internet is just has to be true. Here is a video that proves it:

See! if it is on the internet is HAS to be true. Bon Jooor...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
What you point out is the long standing dilemma between ST and LT tires. Because ST are not designed for vehicles carrying people, they are allowed to meet different testing standard and carry higher load ratings. It is not that they are built better.

Take the Michelin XPS Rib or Brdigestone Duravis R250. Few other LRE LT235/85R16 tires come even close to the capabilities for these two tires. They however are tested to the standard for vehicle carrying people and comply to those standards. Note: I have used both. Ribs ran 6.5 years and 40+ miles and sold on CL for 200 bucks, the R250s had 4 years of service when trailer was sold.

These tire debates have been occurring for years across the net. Finally there are a couple mainstream tire manufacturers getting back into the game of producing a ST that is made for more than local service on utility type trailers. It has been a hard fought battle with tire parts spread across America's highways and damage done to thousands of travel trailers.
This is where my thoughts are I can’t see the need to get new tires every two years. I figure the LT’s on our 5er are good for at least six years. That would be three sets on Javi’s schedule or $1,800, for me one set at $900. The set that we replaced were the OEM LT’s they were 12 years old and no cracking or bulges.
LTs are just built to a higher standard.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #33
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
This is where my thoughts are I can’t see the need to get new tires every two years. I figure the LT’s on our 5er are good for at least six years. That would be three sets on Javi’s schedule or $1,800, for me one set at $900. The set that we replaced were the OEM LT’s they were 12 years old and no cracking or bulges.
If my trailer had come with LT tire I'd be all over it.. but it didn't.... it came with ST tires with 500 pounds more load rating for each tire than the LT tires... That's a non-starter …

And I looked up the XPS RIBS... $1800 mounted, balanced and tax for 5 of them at my local DT...
Old 09-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #34
Snoking

I have been writing about tires about as long as Cal has. Here is link to a post 9 years ago. I may be new to this forum, however I am not new to tire issues. Chris

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #35
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If my trailer had come with LT tire I'd be all over it.. but it didn't.... it came with ST tires with 500 pounds more load rating for each tire than the LT tires... That's a non-starter …

And I looked up the XPS RIBS... $1800 mounted, balanced and tax for 5 of them at my local DT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I have been writing about tires about as long as Cal has. Here is link to a post 18 years ago. I may be new to this forum, however I am not new to tire issues. Chris

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm
Well Snokinh’s post is what I base my choice on, my 5er is currently at its 12,360# GVWR just a tick over 10,000# on the trailers axles/tires. That is 2,500# per tire giving me 500# of extra capacity which is 16%.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #36
CWtheMan

Quote:
Well Snokinh’s post is what I base my choice on, my 5er is currently at its 12,360# GVWR just a tick over 10,000# on the trailers axles/tires. That is 2,500# per tire giving me 500# of extra capacity which is 16%.
Your trailer was certified from it's manufacturer for LT tires. It's what you're supposed to us as replacements.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #37
CWtheMan

Quote:
Light truck tires are designed for service on Light Trucks, SUVs and multi passenger vehicles.

Special Trailer tires are designed for service on any sort of trailer.

The design characteristics between the two differ considerably. So will the building materials, compounds and formulas. It's why the ST tires have higher load capacities than like sized tires of other designs.

However, the basic argument often centers on their passenger carrying abilities. Twenty-two states currently allow RV trailers to carry passengers. It's not dependent on the tires ability to carry passengers but the safety factor. All DOT highway certified tires are approved for passenger service.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #38
reddog7571

Javi,
How many miles do you put on your RV a year?
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #39
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Light truck tires are designed for service on Light Trucks, SUVs and multi passenger vehicles.

Special Trailer tires are designed for service on any sort of trailer.

The design characteristics between the two differ considerably. So will the building materials, compounds and formulas. It's why the ST tires have higher load capacities than like sized tires of other designs.

However, the basic argument often centers on their passenger carrying abilities. Twenty-two states currently allow RV trailers to carry passengers. It's not dependent on the tires ability to carry passengers but the safety factor. All DOT highway certified tires are approved for passenger service.
Cal, would you like to compare tire failure records?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #40
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog7571 View Post
Javi,
How many miles do you put on your RV a year?
4 - 5 thousand

It's 300 miles one way to anywhere in Texas...

Tags
tires