Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #1
EDM

Anyone installed MORyde Step Above Steps?

We have a Montana High Country 305RL and would like to upgrade our steps. We really like the MORyde Step Above four-step option and the installation videos look fairly easy. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether or not the screen door will close correctly without rubbing the top of the step threshold. Any advice? Any successful install stories out there? Thanks!
EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
Tbos

Depending on the kind of sweep on the bottom of the door you may be ok. Ours came with it and the screen door has a brush sweep. Never even knows it’s there.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Those come standard on some models we sell. While they are nice, you need about 3 feet to deploy them and depending on where you store your trailer, it may be problematic. And the entry door has to be open fully.

Latest version I’m seeing doesn’t have the locking tabs but rather a strut on each side. They are nice, but I’m not a big fan. To each their own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
cjm

I installed them on mine - we absolutely love them! Rock Steady, and simple to deploy. As mentioned you do need the space to lower them, no just opening the door and throwing something inside.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
Tbos

Talked to the guy next door that has a 2012 Avalanche. He installed them. Needed to take off the screen door sweep and shave a hair off the bottom of the door. They love them.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
reddog7571

Ours was installed by our dealer, but we wouldn't have it any other way! They are great!
reddog7571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:44 AM   #7
Dave W

We have the Lippert Solid Step version with the wider top step on our HC. It took longer to unbox them then to install. I didn't have to make any screen door mods. My wife who has an occasional vertigo problem is very happy, especially after I added the longer Stromberg grab bar.

Either brand is a welcome addition to your 5er.

There is a MORryde version that can be easily removed and the 'springboard' step used if you have any space issues and is called Quick Connect Step
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #8
EDM

UPDATE - Install went great, but do I need straps?

I purchased and installed the MoRyde Step Above steps and the install took only minutes. Piece of cake. My only question is that I'm nervous to rely on the very small bracket that holds the steps in place when lifted above. Can I trust that bracket to hold without coming loose and damaging something? Has anyone installed some support straps to hold them tightly in place while in transit? If so, how did you anchor the straps? I know the walls are super thin and I'm not sure where to screw in anchors if I use straps. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #9
jeffqwv

Solid step, these are a must upgrade in my opinion. These took longer to take out of the box, than they did to install. Going in and out of the camper on these steps will give you a higher level of confidence. If you have a dealership near you you need to stop by and give them a try.

1998 Coleman Grandview SP
2001 Cub Aerolite F21
2005 Keystone Cougar 304BHS
2018 Keystone Cougar 338RLK
2012 Ram, Laramie, 6.7L
jeffqwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:26 AM   #10
EDM

Jeff, I already installed the steps and love them. I’m just curious if I need to add some straps to make sure they are more secure in the upright storage position while driving. Do you have any experience with that?
Old 09-08-2018, 04:01 AM   #11
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Jeff, I already installed the steps and love them. I’m just curious if I need to add some straps to make sure they are more secure in the upright storage position while driving. Do you have any experience with that?
I pop riveted a =/- 6" piece of 3/4" wide X 1/16" thick piece of steel at the place the stow latch contacts the very light screen frame. I also added with 2 sided tape (3M 'snot') short piece of 3/4 x 1/16rubber that I bought off ebay to lessen any rattles plus reduce the slop even more. This after I bent that door frame. A bunch of miles later (1500), everything works well and the door frame is still straight
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #12
ChrisM

I installed these https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution about two years ago and couldn't be happier. My wife has had multiple back surgeries so we needed something stable with minimum trip-hazard and these fit the bill perfectly plus they work well at a large variety of heights due to un-level site. They don't look as sturdy as they actually are. I'm guessing it's all about distributing the weight across the whole apparatus. Even the glow stickers work as advertised. We've gotten a lot of positive feedback from people who've checked them out. BTW I go about 300 pounds and my wife well we won't go there but we both agree they're worth the cost.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
Moneyslinger

I think I have a thread on here regarding my unsuccessful experience but here a few pics. Make sure you review and measure your situation before ordering. Did not fit my 298RE. My threshold was too low and so my doors are cut low. Would require at least 1 screen door mod in my situation, with I just might do. Great stairs.

Great support from Morryde. They said it looked like the top bracket was bent on the one I received and was going to send out a new bracket, but then later said it would not fit my door.

After a few emails I was able to get this info...hope that helps.

Moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
Richeyb

Totally agree with everyone. Just upgraded to a Montana High Country 380TH. With 4 steps factory steps was like a spring board. The new steps are firm and very easy to deploy and store. Wife loves them, that says it all. 😃
Richeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
V2wings

I had my dealer measure for a set of step above steps for my 2017 cougar 5th wheel.
Everything checked out and I have a 30" door which it showed on the door frame.
He ordered them but when they tried to install them they were about a 32 nd to big on eachside.and wouldn't fit inside the frame.. They said that I won't be able to have them because 28" is to small. But I still want them for my wife
V2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
rsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I installed these https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep-revolution about two years ago and couldn't be happier. My wife has had multiple back surgeries so we needed something stable with minimum trip-hazard and these fit the bill perfectly plus they work well at a large variety of heights due to un-level site. They don't look as sturdy as they actually are. I'm guessing it's all about distributing the weight across the whole apparatus. Even the glow stickers work as advertised. We've gotten a lot of positive feedback from people who've checked them out. BTW I go about 300 pounds and my wife well we won't go there but we both agree they're worth the cost.

I just purchased and installed them, love them. Your reasons and experience are almost identical to mine at the last campground (1st time with the steps) we just got back from. Install was very simple remove 4 bolts and the old steps, replace with the torklift steps and install 4 bolts. Ditto on very solid and very versatile.

I will add the thing I really disliked about the single fold in the door type was all the dirt/water/debris going into the camper when you stow them. Sure you can take a broom to them but how well does that work on the always rainy day you pack up to leave the campground?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #17
MerlinB

Glowstep-Revolution--the only way to go.

I just could not come to grips with the idea of folding my steps up inside of the trailer. It's just me. You may be OK with that.

If you are parked in a tight spot you may not have enough room to open the MorRyde or Lippert steps.

Some times I need to get inside my trailer without opening the steps. Can't do that with the MorRyde or Lippert steps.

YMMV.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led