Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 04:15 AM   #1
jdixon980

Fridge acting strange

The fridge in my Cougar has a mind of its own i think. The last two times we have used it, it will not light on gas before I leave home. Plug up couple days in advance to get fridge cold, then unplug for auto switch over. Here igniter clicking many times but will not light. Finally stops. Cut fridge off to reset. Will not try to light. We are in Myrtle Beach this week, so we waited to get here to buy groceries, since this very same thing happened on our last trip. Crazy thing is, once I get set up and cut gas water heater on, I get a fault light on control panel for about 5 seconds, then water heater fires up. I can go to fridge push gas on fridge, it will light. Been running fridge on gas for 3 days now, but get up every morning and LP is flashing on display. Manual says failed to ignite. Cut off and cut back on, fridge fires up. Anybody else had a fridge that acts like this one?
jdixon980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
stolly23

I'm also in myrtle Beach right now. I have a brand new 2019 cougar and my fridge ignites and goes out nonstop. It won't stay lit but fires right back up. All you here is the clicking every 1 to 2 seconds. All other propane appliances work fine
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
jdixon980

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolly23 View Post
I'm also in myrtle Beach right now. I have a brand new 2019 cougar and my fridge ignites and goes out nonstop. It won't stay lit but fires right back up. All you here is the clicking every 1 to 2 seconds. All other propane appliances work fine

Wished mine would fire back up, but won’t. Have to cut fridge off and back on. Stolly23 where you staying? We are at Lakewood.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Pull Toy

You might want to check for spiders in the air mixer orifice. They LUV the smell of LP, and have been known to screw up the works. Easy fix is to blow them out with compressed air. Mud Daubers are also a PIA down south. Is every other LP appliance working?

If you're starting a fresh tank, light your stove burners for a minute or two to burp the lines. When they stop surging, you should be good to go, but give the fridge, and water heater a few tries to catch up.

The third possibility is your safety thermistor is dead. This device stops the flow of gas if it doesn't sense heat within a few seconds of gas flow.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
stolly23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdixon980 View Post
Wished mine would fire back up, but won’t. Have to cut fridge off and back on. Stolly23 where you staying? We are at Lakewood.
Ha, so was I. We actually left Wednesday. I was in the flooded section. Where were you?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
jdixon980

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolly23 View Post
Ha, so was I. We actually left Wednesday. I was in the flooded section. Where were you?

I was oceanfront across from volleyball court. I thought I saw another post where your camper is in shop about fridge. Would you mind letting me know what you find out. I am calling Camping World Monday about mine. Fridge went out on trip home. Lost majority of food in fridge. Twice this has happened.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Also, if you open the tank valves too fast, the tank safety mechanism will kick in and limit flow. You can remedy this by closing the valves, letting them sit for 5 to 10 minutes or disconnecting the hoses, reconnect, reopen the valves slowly, and then lighting the stove and let burn a couple of minutes. Then try your fridge on gas again. It may take a couple of cycles to purge air in the lines. This procedure has worked for me.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #8
gearhead

What brand of refrigerator is it?
If it's Dometic, is it "throwing a code"?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
jdixon980

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
What brand of refrigerator is it?
If it's Dometic, is it "throwing a code"?

It is a Dometic. I don’t guess throwing a code. Only thing it does is flash from digital temp reading and Lp on display. Had to switch off and restart every morning. Yesterday the fridge made some loud pops and deep sounds before it started up. Really don’t know how to describe the sounds it made. Quit on way home today, fridge display said 60 degrees when I arrived at home. Threw away all food in fridge. This has happened twice now. Been to dealer once already for this issue and was told it was operating normal. Don’t think so.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
stolly23

Yup, I will keep you updated. We left lakewood at 10am, wanted to be out by 8, but to my surpise neither of my black tank flushes would put water into the tanks. Spent an hour flushing water through the toilets to get most of the Stuff out. I am assuming reversed check valves during manufacturing. by time we got home at 1am everything in the freezer was thawed out. Ice cubes turned to water. While on propane my Dometic continued to light and go out, constant clicking with the ignitor.

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Dually 4x4
2019 Cougar 32BHS 1/2 Ton
Old 08-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #11
Johnnyfry

I believe that you have an out of spec regulator. The fridge is designed to operate on 11"WC. If the pressure is not in spec you will get results like you are reporting. Go to a propane supplier (like Suburban or Arrow) and have them check your gas pressure. You can also check it yourself if you have a manometer.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge