Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
KC10Chief

Sound bar behind TV?

I have a 2019 Cougar 29BHS. It has the big 4K Summit TV recessed in the wall. It will pull out and there is space behind it. I'm looking for a better sound option. Just curious if it would be better having it sitting right behind the TV? What about one with a subwoofer? Anybody done that? Not sure what kind of signal I could get with a remote back there. There is nowhere to mount it above or below the TV.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

PLEASE if you do put in the soundbar and sub......use with consideration!!!

My wife and her friend went to the beach today shelling. An hour after they left (they were gone 3 1/2 hours) her friend's husband (my friend as well) decided to "exercise" his sound system in his new Big Horn while DW was away. Unfortunately, it was 10 minutes after puppy and I had decided to take a nap. I thought some low rider had pulled up outside my slide and was trying to pulverize my ear drums (we always park back to back each winter). Thought he would stop quickly knowing it was SO loud. Nope (he is hard of hearing). Puppy just kept pacing from front to back looking at me like...."can you hear this??? Are you going to fix it?" At the 2 hour mark called DW and asked where are you? Are you about to come back? "We're way down the beach and it's beautiful...and you wouldn't believe all the horseshoe crabs; it's mating season and they're everywhere!!" I says..."please hurry back before I go deaf". I had gone outside twice trying to appear like I was trying to find a "problem"...toward his trailer thinking he would see me and clue in....his pass thru doors were rattling; the hardware under the trailer was rattling; something on the roof and the other side of his trailer was rattling; the folks walking by just stopped and stared shaking their heads.

Finally puppy and I left to get away from it. DW called about 15 minutes later and said she was back. When they got out they could hear the pounding and she asked DW if I had music turned up; DW said no, I think it's coming from your trailer. Her friend frowned, looked around and said she didn't think so. DW walked over and had her put her hand on all the rattling, vibrating parts of her trailer. DW said she looked very surprised then scowled and said "I'll fix this".....and she did - I don't even think there is any sound coming out of the TV now.

I was an "audiophile" for many years and loved my sound equipment...and volume. That went away about 30 years ago. Long story to just point out that these RVs are very thin walled and that high powered, loud, equipment you can run in the S&B will pulverize your neighbors in an RV park.

Good luck on finding a solution.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
ChuckS

Maybe a better option to consider for great sound would be a nice set of high end head phones.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe a quick trip to the site power pole, a simple flick of the 50 amp breaker and scurry back to the safety of your awning ???? After he figures out that his sound bar "pops the breaker" every time he turns it up too loud.....

Well, maybe he'll "learn the limit that doesn't pop the breaker"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
PLEASE if you do put in the soundbar and sub......use with consideration!!!

My wife and her friend went to the beach today shelling. An hour after they left (they were gone 3 1/2 hours) her friend's husband (my friend as well) decided to "exercise" his sound system in his new Big Horn while DW was away. Unfortunately, it was 10 minutes after puppy and I had decided to take a nap. I thought some low rider had pulled up outside my slide and was trying to pulverize my ear drums (we always park back to back each winter). Thought he would stop quickly knowing it was SO loud. Nope (he is hard of hearing). Puppy just kept pacing from front to back looking at me like...."can you hear this??? Are you going to fix it?" At the 2 hour mark called DW and asked where are you? Are you about to come back? "We're way down the beach and it's beautiful...and you wouldn't believe all the horseshoe crabs; it's mating season and they're everywhere!!" I says..."please hurry back before I go deaf". I had gone outside twice trying to appear like I was trying to find a "problem"...toward his trailer thinking he would see me and clue in....his pass thru doors were rattling; the hardware under the trailer was rattling; something on the roof and the other side of his trailer was rattling; the folks walking by just stopped and stared shaking their heads.

Finally puppy and I left to get away from it. DW called about 15 minutes later and said she was back. When they got out they could hear the pounding and she asked DW if I had music turned up; DW said no, I think it's coming from your trailer. Her friend frowned, looked around and said she didn't think so. DW walked over and had her put her hand on all the rattling, vibrating parts of her trailer. DW said she looked very surprised then scowled and said "I'll fix this".....and she did - I don't even think there is any sound coming out of the TV now.

I was an "audiophile" for many years and loved my sound equipment...and volume. That went away about 30 years ago. Long story to just point out that these RVs are very thin walled and that high powered, loud, equipment you can run in the S&B will pulverize your neighbors in an RV park.

Good luck on finding a solution.
Curious!
If you were/are friends why didn't you go tell him to turn it down or shut it off?
Friend or not I'd of been there after a 10 minutes asking to shut it down or I'd be in the park office asking that they get it shut off, life's too short to put up with inconsiderate folks.
I've ask more than once that rvs next to us stop their dogs from constantly barking.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Curious!
If you were/are friends why didn't you go tell him to turn it down or shut it off?
Friend or not I'd of been there after a 10 minutes asking to shut it down or I'd be in the park office asking that they get it shut off, life's too short to put up with inconsiderate folks.
I've ask more than once that rvs next to us stop their dogs from constantly barking.

Good question. And I am a very "take care of it" right now kind of person. Our neighbor, and friend, has many things going on. It's easy to shoot darts at "this or that", but it's generally because you....just ain't been there. Standing in Vietnam, pelted with "agent orange" daily, tunnel rat and most anything else...you need to have walked there. His friends and mine paid a lot. Now with COPD due to agent orange, on an oxygen machine 24 hrs.. broke his foot coming down the stairs in his new 5th wheel, loss of hearing and then the VA totally screwing up his foot to the point that it is totally messed up....well, we don't know where that will end...at his age.

I will take anyone to task that is out of bounds but I completely respect those that have issues as I've discussed above. I will leave, let it play out and take puppy for a ride in that instance and defend actions like the above. He, and those like him, have earned it....and he is a really nice guy -and my friend.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
Rber1234

Don’t know if it is better to place behind the Tv but if it fits go ahead and put it there. I put a sound bar behind Tv in bedroom TT because that was the only place I could have put it. Works great.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
KC10Chief

For the record, I can't stand it that loud myself! I just like a little bass. I am always very considerate of my neighbors and enjoy peace and quiet more than anything else. I just want something that sounds better than our current TV speakers.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:46 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Not to break the theme of this curmudgeon talk but I purchased an Element TV from Walmart for my trailer. Found the sound has to be turned up to max to hear it and when the A/C was turned on, you could not hear the TV sound at all. I bought a 39" sound bar and mounted it above the TV as this sound bar was wall mount type. It was inexpensive but allowed us to easily hear the TV when the A/C is running. I posted a thread in modifications forum and a search will show it mounted. I didn't do it for "bass enhancement" but just to be able to hear the TV.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not to break the theme of this curmudgeon talk but I purchased an Element TV from Walmart for my trailer. Found the sound has to be turned up to max to hear it and when the A/C was turned on, you could not hear the TV sound at all. I bought a 39" sound bar and mounted it above the TV as this sound bar was wall mount type. It was inexpensive but allowed us to easily hear the TV when the A/C is running. I posted a thread in modifications forum and a search will show it mounted. I didn't do it for "bass enhancement" but just to be able to hear the TV.

Sorry, I didn't mean to redirect the thread. I was simply trying to advise the OP that enhanced sound equipment, especially a sub, can go right through an RV wall so need to be installed and used with that in mind. I included all the other "stuff" as a humorous backdrop to what was going on. I should have mentioned why I didn't go ask him to turn it down - and in my 2nd reply did not intend to put anyone from any background down if anyone took it that way.

As far as soundbar mods, I remember yours and it seemed like it worked out well. It very well may be what the OP is looking for. If I couldn't play my TV through all of my sound system speakers I would have to do the same thing because it would be difficult to hear above the AC and dehumidifier running.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Danny, don't take my comment the wrong way; was an attempt to be humerous as old folks like me tend to grumble about most any stuff and I have been at quite a few campsites where I was the curmudgeon and hated all the noise after I wanted to go to bed for the night.

FWIW, at some point, I will try to dislodge the current stereo (still has cassette tape player) and the CD player doesn't work) from my camper. The stereo and speakers appear to have been glued to the shelf they sit on. I have been under and behind and there are NO screws and the faceplate on all the components doesn't come off. I have read the install guide for the thing and the stereo was intended to sit on a bookshelf. It is an RCA and I suspect Keystone bought a pallet of these things at Big Lots and a few tubes of Liquid Nails...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #12
rjniles

Get a audio cord to go from the TV audio out jack to the aux input of your entertainment center.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
larryflew

To address the bass question - it really can go almost anywhere and work well. Ours is actually inside of the fire place. They do work better on the floor but behind you tv should work ok if it sits on a solid shelf.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
BadmanRick

Man do I HATE loud sound pounding inconsiderate neighbors. All you hear is the thump thump thump of the bass. Very disturbing and makes me want to pound back on the person doing it. Not good especially at a camp ground.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
I have a 2019 Cougar 29BHS. It has the big 4K Summit TV recessed in the wall. It will pull out and there is space behind it. I'm looking for a better sound option. Just curious if it would be better having it sitting right behind the TV? What about one with a subwoofer? Anybody done that? Not sure what kind of signal I could get with a remote back there. There is nowhere to mount it above or below the TV.
My 2019 26RBSWE also came with a Furrion AM/FM/DVD AV module right below the TV, good chance yours did as well. By connecting an extra cable or two (supplied), you can route the TV audio through the ceiling speaker system. It's not *great* sound, but it's much better sound than the native TV. Just make sure you don't accidentally enable the outdoor speakers when you're watching TV!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #16
khb0112

I use a 'Fugoo XL' in my Cougar 27SAB. It has blue-tooth connectivity as well so you can take it outside with you too. Fits perfectly in the narrow rack below the TV and the sound quality is great, but will not blow out any neighbors ears. At $200 +- it seems like a good deal to me. Available on Amazon.
khb0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #17
rczapla

A Soundbar could work and a sub too, you bet. Like the comments have said, these trailer walls are pretty thin. I'll tell you what I did and it sounds great and it doesn't get the neighbors upset. First, get rid of those crappy speakers that come with the trailer. I design speakers for a living and the Keystone speakers that come with the trailer are pathetically poor sounding products. I took my original speakers out completely and replaced them with some JBL 6.5 inch coax marine speakers. A 6.5 inch aftermarket speaker fits perfectly into the factory holes on my Keystone. They look like they belong in the ceiling and I get full range sound with bass out of them too. I did think about adding in a sub but space is so precious in the trailer and I'm happy with the sound now even without a sub. What's nice about optimizing the sound and current speaker location is I can turn on/off the sound with the factory electronics and put the sound where I want it. A lot of times I'll be up early and my wife is still asleep. I'll put only the "B" speakers "On" which are located right above my comfortable chair at one end of the trailer and watch TV and she never hears a beep. We'll watch a movie sometimes and the system is plenty load enough no matter where you are in the trailer. The overhead speakers work well. Hope this gives you a different option to think about.
rczapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rczapla View Post
I design speakers for a living and the Keystone speakers that come with the trailer are pathetically poor sounding products. I took my original speakers out completely and replaced them with some JBL 6.5 inch coax marine speakers. A 6.5 inch aftermarket speaker fits perfectly into the factory holes on my Keystone.
I don't design speakers for a living , and my search discloses several model numbers that all fit this description. If you can give me a specific one, I'd be very grateful.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #19
Rber1234

To get an idea what is available speaker wise go to Amazon and search 6.5 marine speaker and you can look at specs. Wide range to choose from. I used JVC
CS-J620 for inside TT which aren’t marine speakers but when I replace outside speakers they will be marine.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #20
rczapla

I'm kind of partial to Harman products. Anything made by Harman with the Infinity or JBL branding would work, It's all about the style/look you want. I would suggest to look at JBL MS6520 or the MS65LW depending on the style and color you like. These are all 4 ohm speakers and your in trailer electronics should handle them just fine. There's a lot of goobly gook out there when it comes to speakers and audio in general. My rule of thumb. 1. It's got to fit. 2. It's got to sound good. I would definitely get a coaxial product, one with woofer and tweeter. You don't need a triax or anything like that because anything more than a coax is all marketing propaganda. Having something light weight might be worth spending some money on in an RV. I like keeping my wallet and my wife and my neighbors happy. It's a juggling act. Hope this helps.
rczapla is offline   Reply With Quote