Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
evanhix

Onan 5500 No Power Production

I have a 2017 Carbon 357 with 164 hrs on the gen. While out camping this weekend my generator started having problems. The first issue was when my wife went to use microwave and the generator died. It started back up and ran for several hours with no issues. The next day it randomly died after running for about an hour. This time it started back up but made no electricity. After restarting 3 times it worked fine. It died last night again after about 4 hours and restarted with no issues.

This morning it would fire up and then immediately die. The status light flashes 3 times and then a pause and repeat. After that it will start right up but no electric production and the status light flashes constantly while running. According to the manual, the 3 code(if i am reading this correct) is for service required and the constant flash is for engine mode only.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
RVwifekids&dog

any luck on this issue? i am having the exact same issue.
RVwifekids&dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:59 AM   #3
evanhix

Hello, I ended up taking it in to the shop and it turned out that the main component that generates the electricity had failed and required replacement. Thankfully it was under warranty otherwise it would have cost about $2k. Hopefully yours ends up being a simpler fix than this. Best of luck.
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power