Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Howie

Solar panel to charge batteries while in storage

I have my 5th wheel parked in storage where there is no electrical connection. Instead of removing the batteries between trips, I am considering a mobile 80 -100w solar panel that I would leave set up and hopefully would keep the charge up. I do turn off the master switch but there is still a slight discharge. I looked at a kit that includes panel, controller, and 10" of wire. One option is a solid aluminum frame and another foldable one that is described as a briefcase model and it weights about 1/3 the frame type. I would just set either up on 2x4s, etc. to keep it off the ground for weeks at a time between uses. Any suggestions, ideas, etc. based on your experience?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If your RV is parked in a public storage area where other people also store their equipment, anything you "stack on the tongue, support on 2x4's, lean against the RV, etc is subject to "growing legs" the first day someone walks by and decides they need it more than you..... Any solar system should be "secured against theft" which is something difficult to do with a portable system. I don't have an answer to your needs, but would urge you to consider the expense and whether you can afford to "donate" it to someone else????? Any plan should, IMHO, consider securing your system against theft, something that's difficult to do in a public location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
Howie

theft isn't an issue as it is on private property, just trying to get input on style.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Canonman

We have the briefcase type made by Zamp. Ours comes out of the case and is completely self contained and weatherproof. We store the case in the cargo area when the panels are deployed. If theft isn't an issue I'd recommend the type like ours as the panels are well protected with the case while traveling and stored in the cargo area of the Cougar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1141.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	19922  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
just1rick

Wondering about a small battery maintainer vs. solar system

I'm a first year TT owner, and decided to just bring my battery into the garage for the winter, but I've been thinking about getting one of the small, low power solar maintainers for next winter.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...004Q83TGO?th=1

Here's one, in the $66-100 range (depending on Wattage). Given that the battery has made it 2 months in the garage before finally dropping 0.1V, I figure that even the 5W model should be enough to keep it from self discharging. I put in a disconnect, so there shouldn't be any parasitic loads.

I'm in a locked, but public, storage location, so I want to keep the costs down and will try to figure out a good way to secure it.

What do you all think? This doesn't have the power of the larger systems, but I'd be starting with a full charge and just want to keep the battery up.

Thanks,
-Rick
just1rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
fourfourto

I would get the 15 watt.
I have a 15 watt 1 amp panel mounted(can be removed easy) in the window well of my garage up against window.
This way snow doesn't cover it.
My battery is switched off from camper.
keeps up charge good.
I don't like the idea of leaving it plugged in with power on in camper all winter.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
Howie

My batteries are wired in parallel and the specs on the panels say they work with multiple batteries in parallel. I am not sure if the + on one battery and - on the other is the correct attachment of the panel leads or if + and - on same battery would work. My batteries are on different sides of RV so would need wire extensions if leads go to different battery. Appreciate you assistance.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
WJQ

Assuming your batteries are 12 V and wired in parallel, there is no difference between which set of battery terminals to use. Just be sure to get the positive on the charger to the positive on the battery and the same for the negative terminals.
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1rick View Post
I'm a first year TT owner, and decided to just bring my battery into the garage for the winter, but I've been thinking about getting one of the small, low power solar maintainers for next winter.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...004Q83TGO?th=1

Here's one, in the $66-100 range (depending on Wattage). Given that the battery has made it 2 months in the garage before finally dropping 0.1V, I figure that even the 5W model should be enough to keep it from self discharging. I put in a disconnect, so there shouldn't be any parasitic loads.

I'm in a locked, but public, storage location, so I want to keep the costs down and will try to figure out a good way to secure it.

What do you all think? This doesn't have the power of the larger systems, but I'd be starting with a full charge and just want to keep the battery up.

Thanks,
-Rick
I actually use one like this.. I have been using it now for about 5 yrs.. I have not taken my battery out during winter..I am in public storage, and luckily have never had a problem.. I don't use it during the summer months as we try to go out every 2 to 3 weekends..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, storage