Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 AM   #141
flybouy
Site Team

Does that meet Cali emissions?
Old 10-09-2018, 04:18 AM   #142
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Does that meet Cali emissions?

Pre 1975...Exempt.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:50 AM   #143
{tpc}

Guess I missed all the fun. I usually set the cruise (if able to use it) at 65 or just under. Less if conditions call for it.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #144
Andymil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
I have a TPMS and the tires start out a little under pressure but heat up to the proper pressure in a few miles.
RMc
The tires are designed to be inflated to the proper pressure COLD.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #145
notanlines

Hey Laredo, what ^^^^Andy said is absolutely correct.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 10-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #146
socoinc1984

60 to 65 max. I’m in no hurry to get where I’m going. If I am in a hurry. Then I leave earlier. It’s worked for me for 45 years. Even when I used to drive a dump truck with a backhoe for a living in So. Cal. I worked for the same company from 1972 to 2017. Now all I do is as little as possible.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #147
Laredo Tugger

K Thanks. I'll top them off before the next tow.
RMc
Old 10-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #148
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I'll admit it...I hit 80 again while cruising to and from our destination this past long weekend...it feels so solid with my Husky centre line WD hitch going downhills and passing, I don't realize how fast I'm actually going...I do lift when I see what an idiot I'm being...
Old 10-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #149
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
I'll admit it...I hit 80 again while cruising to and from our destination this past long weekend...it feels so solid with my Husky centre line WD hitch going downhills and passing, I don't realize how fast I'm actually going...I do lift when I see what an idiot I'm being...

I hope you are just joking. Towing a trailer at 80mph and "not knowing" your speed until you "realize how fast you are actually going" is dangerous to you and everyone on the road....and being an idiot. Hopefully the "China bomb" doesn't decide to blow while you "don't know" how fast you are going thereby taking out the other tire and leaving you trying to figure out what to do with that careening trailer behind your van.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #150
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Not joking...I try to keep it 65-70 and already know I'm an idiot for hitting 80 thanks.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #151
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Not joking...I try to keep it 65-70 and already know I'm an idiot for hitting 80 thanks.
Two words: Cruise Control

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 AM   #152
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Two words: Cruise Control
2 more words PAY ATTENTION. Don't know too many cops, or judges that will buy the "ooops"defense".
Old 10-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #153
travelin texans

Quote:
Boy, I know what you mean! If I don't set the cruise I'll be flying right up there with you before you can blink an eye.
Guess we're both idiots or just more human than others, we still make an occasional mistake, not perfect.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #154
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Boy, I know what you mean! If I don't set the cruise I'll be flying right up there with you before you can blink an eye.
Guess we're both idiots or just more human than others, we still make an occasional mistake, not perfect.
I suppose the difference in "mortals" and "immortals" is that one tends to learn from mistakes and tries not to repeat them, the other, well, what difference does it make, so to hell with trying to be safe or live longer......
Present company excepted, of course...

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #155
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I use cruise all the time when not towing; never use it towing. Although limited, it does affect the reaction time for braking etc. With the rig behind me it will be bad enough if a catastrophic event takes place without a 1/2 - 1 second lag as the cruise disengages.

As far as flying along at speed and not knowing it unless using cruise control - what is one doing when driving so that you don't know what the speedometer is saying every 2 seconds or so? When driving I have about 3-4 functions - watch the road, watch the rear view mirrors, scan the side accesses, scan the dash....repeat - that is all I do. I don't think I'm perfect, nor am I trying to be a smart aleck, but I keep my eye on my speed and make every effort to stay within 1-2 mph, with my foot, of my intended speed. It makes for more consistent driver behavior which benefits me and all the other travelers around me IMO.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #156
travelin texans

Don't know about RR, but I'm referring to out on an open stretch of highway not another vehicle in sight I might get a little heavy footed without the cruise & so far having an occasional "ooops" I haven't killed anybody. Those that have NEVER EVER done that are apparently near perfect drivers, never another thought other than the long open road ahead, my hats off to you!
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #157
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I like the cruise control idea but there's a time and a place for that...with hills, slow pokes, and trucks, I'll be the one in cruise control The 80mph thing is just a momentary lapse of speed...lifting slows me down real quick.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #158
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I just set it at 60-65-70-75-80 depending on conditions.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #159
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Don't know about RR, but I'm referring to out on an open stretch of highway not another vehicle in sight I might get a little heavy footed without the cruise & so far having an occasional "ooops" I haven't killed anybody. Those that have NEVER EVER done that are apparently near perfect drivers, never another thought other than the long open road ahead, my hats off to you!
When I used to drive "hot rods" that I had built up and knew, personally, every nut, bolt, gasket, belt, tolerance etc. I ran stuff hard. Never had an issue. Everything had 4 wheels, tires, drivetrain and was meant to convey that one device down the road as fast and hard as I wanted. Time goes by....

As I "grew up" (got smarter/experienced things) I got to see what inattention or a "don't care" attitude can do to YOU and the ones you love. I've been in a few accidents in my time; EVERY one was due to inattention...EVERY one. If you've not been in an accident due to inattention with multiple fatalities while folks are laying through the doors screaming and dying, blood and piece parts here and there; if you've never tried to assist a young mother that was traveling along with her family when a failure occurred and ended up with her coke bottle rammed/stuck in her eye socket as blood spewed and her family screamed; if you've never been having a wonderful time with your best friend and suddenly, out of the blue, wake up in the emergency room without an expectation of surviving; if you've never tried to move a limp, dead body out of a pickup bed because the driver was stupid, and they all seemed clueless as the child screams for "daddy".....and the list goes on. ALL - repeat ALL, due to inattention. Those little "oops" have huge consequences for the perpetrator and other innocents. I, nor anyone else, has the convenience or luxury of thinking "oops" is OK; I, nor anyone else, knows when the little "oops" you expect turns into death. You may dodge the bullet all your life, the next one could easily be when it catches you. You MUST take care.

I used to hold safety seminars with all my people around the region. I told them, every time, that I have been in/experienced many situations where folks died (civilian) and EVERY time you have no idea what happened until you wake up. EVERY time you think you were "taking care of business" - that was not the case. The fortunate thing is, in that situation, you "woke" up, so many don't.

I don't mean to preach (and I'm not qualified for it), but I do adamantly think we all have to be aware of what we are doing when towing and what that "thing" behind us can do to us (or others) if, for some reason, it becomes unhinged; and no, it's not going to send you a text before it does so.

As far as having "another thought on a long open road"; I drove hundreds of thousands of miles by myself (work). I didn't have a radio for many of those miles and then when I did I finally quit using it. Now, I drive. My wife knows "I drive" - I have no use for distractions because I take it seriously. I also know that I am in the minority - I see everyone around me. My wife will ask me something or point out something occasionally, but she KNOWS I'm at "work" and concentrating when I drive. She is amazed that I can tell her what the car in front of us is going to do, the gender of the driver, their ethnicity, make of car, year, if they are about to hit the turn signal....

I have no intention of casting stones at others. I know we ALL make mistakes and "oops". IMO it is imperative that we all think about the ramifications of our decisions SERIOUSLY before something bad happens to YOU or others. Not knowing if you are driving 65mph as you intended and having no idea what you're speed is until you hit 80+ is incomprehensible to me. JMO/YMMV as I know it will. Safe travels to all.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #160
travelin texans

Myself nor anyone else on here needs the blood, guts & gore from you to make a point, very sorry you've had to witness any of it.
Never did I say I didn't pay attention to my driving, just that once or twice have gotten a little heavy footed, but caught myself in a mile or so, wasn't on the phone or texting. Unlike you I do listen to the radio & to my wife & can still identify as much as you about what's around me.
I think I'll just concede that you are definitely the driver of the month, I'll go sit in the corner as punishment for speeding & move on to some other topic.
Replacement undetermined
Closed Thread

Tags
tow