Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #21
Bingo 57

2016 x-lite heater

Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I was just hoping to get it fixed while still under the warrante period. After witch I will not hesitate to dig into it my self. I already have a hi-limit switch & I've got a mine- scope coming in to check the duct work, cause I just don't think I'm getting the flow that I should be.

Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #22
Bingo 57

2016 x-lite heater issues

Will here we go.... Picked up the unit today, I must say at this point that I have no issues with the shop that has been doing the work. They have gone way out of there way to find the / a problem. In a nut shell a 30,000 BTU furnace @ an outside temp of 31 deg just isn't enough. Now the story, The tec spent 3.0 hrs with me on the unit, when we started as I said it was 31 deg outside, inside temp was at 41, brought heater on set at 54 deg took 43 min to satisfy. How ever temp in side was really 48 deg, reset t-stat to aprx 58 deg another 30 min, unit shut down again, inside temp was 55 deg. Again reset t-stat to aprox 62, unit cycled back on as expected aprox 35 min more unit shuts down, inside temp 59 deg. out side temp has risen to just 33 deg. Reset t-state to 65 deg, waited just about another 30 min, inside temp has risen to about 61 deg, at this time the unit started it's "cycling" I truly feel the furnace is just not of the size needed for the trailer for any temp below 40 deg outside. All of this time that the tec spent with me & my unit and I was not charged a dime. According to "Keystone" the shop was to have charged me for the time spent, seeing as it wasn't warranty issue, however the shop said that good customer service is more important.
I guess if I want to use this unit in "cool" weather I will have to have a supplement heat source!! Shame I really (did) like this unit!! Thanks to all for your feed-back and your input.

Bingo
Old 02-01-2017, 09:22 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know what others think but the time frames you posted seem a little long to me. A 30k furnace in your trailer should be OK....and heat up nicely in 31 degree weather. I have a considerably larger trailer and a 35k furnace but at 31 degrees it will heat up quickly and then run you out if you don't turn it down. I don't have a suburban (Atwood I believe).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 AM   #24
notanlines

What Sourdough said^^^^^. Our trailer is 38 feet long and with both doors open to the garage the 35K furnace in 30 degree weather will absolutely run you out of the trailer. When we were at Yellowstone with 8" of snow on the ground and 23 degrees we kept the to doors closed and after the furnace heated the rest (about 10 minutes) our 1500 watt electric heater did the trick the rest of the time.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a Cougar XLite 27RKS, a "sister fifth wheel" to the 26RLS, that's constructed the same and is about 1 foot longer. Same furnace, same insulation, same construction, slightly larger cubic footage to heat. I can assure you that in 10* F temps, the furnace will "run you out" after about 20 minutes.

I'd believe from the description of performance with different thermostat settings, that there's something wrong, either internally with the burner box or externally, with the ducting connections and/or ducting runs. There's no reason the 26RLS shouldn't be just as warm and efficient as the 27RKS.

I'd find a different service center to go through the trailer and fix what appears to be a "hidden problem" at the current service work center.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:35 PM   #26
Bingo 57

Thanks all ! Having never owned a trailer before, just motor homes, & Pkup campers I have no clue how this thing should operate. I had assumed a crap load better than it does. I've got a last ditch option of haling it back up to the selling dealer (3hrs 1 way). I just hesitate seeing that it has already been looked at, and that Keystone may deny the work. ?? I then I end up with a bill.

The time frame I listed is accurate to with-in 3min. Hence the disappointment in the unit. I haven't ever owned anything, motor home, camper, preform this poorly. I intend to get out on it this weekend & do some poking around on my own. I do feel the out put from the upper floor grates is extremely low. These are the one's they pulled 2.5 ft of extra duct work out of. at least now they will kinda float TP. And the discharge air temp is between 96 - 103, depending on the grill your cking. Best to all!!

Jim
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #27
Bingo 57

Will I got out on the unit as said I would. Amazing thing I found, I pulled the duct out as you enter the unit low & behold it just keep coming out (the flex duct line). I ended up removing almost another 1.5 ft from this run. I did increase the discharge CFM from this duct by almost 10 CFM. I pulled the other grate & duct & had a very nominal excess duct line. Not enough to create a bunching situation. It appears that Keystone uses the "joice's" underneath the upper bunk as a duct run. Then just cut grills in the floor above. Thus meaning that the heater is trying to push heated air down this entire joice run. ??? And having 3 grills 2 above in the couch 1 in the under belly storage. I'm looking at how I can reduce the run on this area. Will follow up latter on this. Any way just wanted to do a follow up. Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #28
SilverRig

2017 28RKS Heat Issue

I have a similar issue with my 2017 28RKS. We got it home and we were hanging out and turned the heater on. It was about 36 degrees and the furnace never shutoff. There was no airflow at the bedroom/bath area and living room was minimal. Brought it in under warranty.

They did a lot of "work" to try to improve the air flow and the change was: kitchen from 787.4cfm to 1181cfm, living from 334.6 to 374, bath from 0 to 137.8. The dealer informed me that this was the third repair (same model, same issue) he has done in as many weeks.

The other night we tried again with an external temp of 23 degrees. The furnace ran for over an hour and never achieved the thermostat temp of 63 degrees.

Based on comments that folks are getting driven out of their coaches, I am concerned that there's something seriously wrong with the design. I think it's time to start pushing for real resolution or return it.
SilverRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #29
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

I am truly sorry to hear that your havin the same issues with your's, but happy in that it's not just me! As I had said I have gotten an 18 foot camera for my laptop & have found nothing in the duct lines. I was able to push it from the duct grate to the furnace itself. At this point I have accepted that is a POS & I'll have to supply supplemental heat. The open plenum design for the upper duct's is a real concern to me. I see nothing but a lot of heat loss. I truly wish there was more I could correct the issue.
Jim
Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team

You can get vent's with regulated flow. We have had to get authorization from the factory to get paid, but in all the cases it seemed to help. The ones we did were not Keystone, so it may be some consolation that other brands have the same issues.

I can't say that the people doing the designing and engineering are all that good at the heating part. On one brand we sell, the front bedroom has NO heat outlets and relies on leaving one of the pocket doors open and the vent grill rotated to the proper position.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #31
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

I have looked at those, however I feel this is a manf defect. And am just not totally ready to throw in the towel, granted not far from it. The RV show is in Denver next week, I hope to get a hold of the Manf rep there & "share" my thoughts with him at that time!
Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #33
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

I will do a follow-up post. Just knowing there "is" someone else with the similar issue is reassuring that I'm not crazy!!
Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #34
SilverRig

I just contacted my sales guy and he's looking into the issue for me. Will post progress as we go as well.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #35
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

SilverRig, I'll give those folks a call in the A.M. given time. And try to push them as well.

Regards
Jim
Old 03-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #36
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

Just a follow up, I dropped my unit off at the "selling dealer" this a.m., the service manager (different guy than I dealt with in the past) sounded encouraging. I had met with the maf rep at the show & that info with him as will. I well do follow-up's as this goes.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #37
Bingo 57

heater / furnace issues

Will another up-date, Working with the Keystone rep, I feel we are closer to a resolve to this issue! The manufacturer is acknowledging an issue, and are working on a fix!! My hope meter is going up.

Bingo
Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
Will another up-date, Working with the Keystone rep, I feel we are closer to a resolve to this issue! The manufacturer is acknowledging an issue, and are working on a fix!! My hope meter is going up.

Bingo
Here's hoping that things work out for you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #39
SilverRig

Update on heater issues

Both Bingo57 and I teamed up. We've worked with the dealer's service manager who's been great but has his hands tied. Seems that Keystone needs to authorize the warranty work on this magnitude in order for the dealer to get paid. We both have contacted the Keystone Manufacturing Rep and we've been working with him. Seems that there are a handful of units in the Rocky Mountain region reporting the same issue.

What I really need is for folks to start chiming in here, in order to establish how wide spread this issue is. Obviously, if folks aren't having heating issues in their coach they aren't looking here, but those who do I'd really to have some data to go back to Keystone with.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
kcandred

I'd like to chime on this issue. We are new owners of an 2017 Xlite 28RKS, purchased in late January. As it is winter and we haven't ventured south from here in Kentucky yet, we have only had it out twice. The first trip was in the 40s overnight so it didn't have to work very hard to make temp, but two weekends ago we took it out and had a high 20s overnight temp. The fan ran nearly all night. I started investigating the next morning. As my unit is a rear kitchen unit the furnace is basically dead center rear. It has a flex duct that wraps 4-5' around the back corner and comes out under the stove, it blows like mad. But my floor supply in the living room has very little air flow, the bath room forward of it is less and the bedroom up front is almost undetectable with your hand. Needless to say we had a chilly start to the morning in the bedroom. I will be watching this issue as it evolves. I am in central Kentucky, so not in your region, so please spread the word that it is likely not confined to your area. I have not had the unit to my dealer. Number one it will take months to get in, and two Id like to have more info to go in with to prevent the wasted time visits. Thanks for all your inputs.
kcandred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, heat, heater