Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
bschmuhl

Extended Warranty?

i purchased a 2017 Springdale summer land mini and it came with a 1yr warranty. Can you purchase an extended warranty from keystone?
bschmuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure if Keystone offers one; I don't recall it. When I bought mine the dealer pushed the Good Sam extended warranty (it was CW). There are others out there. Worth it or not? That's up to you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
MarcS

I purchased an extended warranty in hopes of not using it. Seems when I buy one, I never need it. 🤣

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Keystone RV Company does not sell any extended warranty coverage, however most dealerships do offer a "third party coverage" warranty. The price of that coverage is optional and varies greatly from dealership to dealership.

An extended warranty is really an insurance policy. There are many different requirements, many different exclusions and many different prices. Each company that sells extended policies is different and very few cover "most of what breaks" on an RV. Most (not all) cover the major components of an RV, but many have specific exclusions and some have "added cost maintenance requirements" that you must pay for at the dealer or the failure may not be covered.

As with any extended warranty, some people see them as an advantage, others see them as an added cost. Depending on how "handy" you are, you may find that the extended warranty is something that you would never use and others may find it something that's "vital to their purchase" of an RV.

Whatever you choose to do, be sure to read the provisions of any warranty carefully. Know what you're buying and that it fits your needs before you write the check.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Pull Toy

All of the people who purchased the "extended" and never need it... pay for the few claims they do get, plus a GOOD PROFIT!

IMHO .... sucker bet, the HOUSE wins!

p.s. READ THE FINE PRINT, and any deductibles!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
roadglide

I have coach net an any warranty has to go to incompeten H W . With in 100 miles and for trailer it only covers mechanical motors nothing else .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
carwheel_09

Damn sure ain’t Holiday when get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
gearhead

I would gladly buy a RV with NO warranty for a small discount.
Go find a reputable repair shop and kiss the dealer goodbye.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 AM   #9
WNY Bullet

We are thinking about picking up the extended warranty on our trailer since they only gave us a 30 day warranty because it was used. Seems like paying a little more for the trailer to have peace of mind for 4 years will be worth it.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #10
notanlines

WNY, think very, very hard about spending the money for an extended warranty on your trailer. Search this site and maybe another like Irv2 or similar. I am not recommending yes or no, just saying to look very closely. Might I ask what items for instance you would like to have warrantied?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #11
fourfourto

I got the lifetime warranty for free.
I have to go in once a year to dealer or authorized rv repair shop.
the dealer charges $150.00 for yearly service .
it covers all appliances A/C, heating , Water heater, roof, axles , bearings and more.
service must be done every year.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

As previously stated these are basically an insurance policy. Read coverage limits carefully, deductibles?? Do not assume that all dealers/repair shops will work with all extended warranty companies. Some win and some loose , Your Call
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Extended Warranty?

I bought an extended warranty when I figured I was DONE working. Mine expired this last month and they replaced my AC unit. $100.00 deductible. Now that I work in the industry, I personally don’t see the need, but appliances can be expensive for a person on a tight budget.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
I got the lifetime warranty for free.
I have to go in once a year to dealer or authorized rv repair shop.
the dealer charges $150.00 for yearly service .
it covers all appliances A/C, heating , Water heater, roof, axles , bearings and more.
service must be done every year.
I see a number of "dilemmas" in your statement.

First, you indicate your lifetime warranty is "FREE", then you say the dealer charges $150 for yearly service. MOST dealers charge an "inspection fee" of $150 and any "required service" is additional. In other words, you must have your wheel bearing repacked, (another $200), winterization (another $150), refrigerator service (another $75), roof cleaning/sealing (another $225) and the list goes on and on.

Then, when something breaks, only specific parts of the covered items is included. In other words, the fans, corrosion in the freezer compartment or inside plastic components on the refrigerator are not covered but the cooling unit is. Bearings on the axles are covered (only if above repacking was done by the dealer, not covered if done by the owner) but the brake assemblies or magnets are not covered.

What I'm saying is that you need to read the small print on your "free" lifetime warranty very carefully. If it's the "dealer offered "FREE" lifetime warranty" that is managed by National Automotive Experts (NAE/NWAN) I'd urge you to read the documents very carefully.

You can review the FAQ's for the program here: http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com/faqs/ Please note FAQ #3, "Can I perform my own maintenance? The answer is "NO". When I asked specifically if I could winterize my own trailer, the answer was "No, that is part of the dealer required maintenance that you must pay for"
Free, in the case of NAE/NWAN, ain't free......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
Canonman

We opted for the extended (7year) warranty/insurance plan when we bought the Cougar.
I'm normally against such plans, but the DW was sure it would be a good idea.
Ours covers all things mechanical, plumbing and electrical. It also covers some of the structural problems as well. Because we have 2 cable slideouts, automatic leveling system, A/C, power awning, fridge, furnace, etc... it seemed like should have have some back up for these items. If our camper were of a more basic design with fewer bells and whistles I think we would not have bought the extension. We also considered that we use the Camper a lot. Lots of miles (over 10k this season) and not always on the best of roads.
Since the factory warranty expired, the plan has covered over $1500 in repairs (parts + labor). We pay for any shipping and a $50 deductible if we use CW or $100 if we go to someone else. Fortunately our CW service group is really good.
Short answer, if your camper has a lot of "extras" i.e. more things to go wrong or lots of planned trips; then I'd say the extended plan can make sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5998 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	14615  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
WNY, think very, very hard about spending the money for an extended warranty on your trailer. Search this site and maybe another like Irv2 or similar. I am not recommending yes or no, just saying to look very closely. Might I ask what items for instance you would like to have warrantied?
I think our biggest concern is the slides. Plus buying used, we are not sure how well the past owners took care of everything, proper maintenance of things. We just don't want to buy someone else's problems...
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
I think our biggest concern is the slides. Plus buying used, we are not sure how well the past owners took care of everything, proper maintenance of things. We just don't want to buy someone else's problems...
Here's a suggestion you might consider. First, you probably don't need a 5 or 7 year "extended warranty" at an "outrageous price", and like most of us who bought new, the factory warranty doesn't cover much of what breaks. In fact, slide adjustment/repair is only covered for the first 90 days of the Keystone warranty.

So, rather than paying $1500 or more for a "insurance policy" that you may never use, why not discuss with your dealer the possibility that you pay an extra $250 or $500 for a "1 year dealer warranty" that would cover the items you're concerned about? If you and the dealer could reach an agreement (in writing) that he will repair those items that fail for mechanical reasons (not things you break or tear up), you might find that it sets aside your fears and gives you better coverage than you'd get from an extended warranty in which you'd have to pay the first $100-500 in deductible, not be covered for most of what breaks and actually have someone local who agreed to fix your trailer if it breaks.

And, if the dealership is reluctant to "stand behind what they're selling" by agreeing to some sort of equitable repair agreement, that will say much more about the dealer's reputation, so in the long run, it may indicate whether he's really standing behind the trailer he is selling to you.

If all goes well, you'd "lose" your investment, but it would be a smaller loss than buying one of the "major extended warranty programs".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
warranty