Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
DarnDog

New trailer - tires not balanced??!!!

I have a new, Keystone Bullet Crossfire 1800RB. Just swapped out the rims & tires and noticed there were NO weighs on the OEM wheels! Is Keystone that cheap that they skip such an important step???
I didn't like the looks of the stock rims so I ordered a set from recstuff.com. I debated re-using the OEM Ranier tires but WalMart had a deal that I couldn't refuse. I bought Carlisle Radial Trail HD's at $67 each. Upgraded from LRD to LRE. Money well spent for peace of mind. Now I have a spare set for winter storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	16224   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	16225  
DarnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Good looking new wheels!......(and tires - I put the same on my trailer). I'm not aware that Keystone or any other manufacturer of travel trailers balances the wheels/tires from the factory but I could be wrong.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

New trailer - tires not balanced??!!!

Can’t say I’ve ever seen any weights on any wheels from the factory, and I’ve seen a few LOL.

Nice wheels!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
DarnDog

Thanks for the compliments on the wheels! I can't believe RV manufacturers don't balance wheels.
DarnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheckler View Post
Thanks for the compliments on the wheels! I can't believe RV manufacturers don't balance wheels.
Ron, you'd be surprised at what the manufacturers don't do. I'm pretty sure that if you do a search on any brands forum, you'll find none of them do balancing. Those of us with balanced wheels all got them by either paying someone else to do it or did it ourselves.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Good looking wheels and congrats on the tires. No factory balanced that I'm aware of and many tire shops will tell you it's not necessary. As an old timer I remember when tire shops said the same thing about rear wheels on cars with leaf springs. Do a search on balancing and you will find most recommend it as well as bolt in valve stems. Also research HOW to balance them. Looks like Sendel wheels and they require a lug centric balance vs a hub centric balance.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #7
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Good looking wheels and congrats on the tires. No factory balanced that I'm aware of and many tire shops will tell you it's not necessary. As an old timer I remember when tire shops said the same thing about rear wheels on cars with leaf springs. Do a search on balancing and you will find most recommend it as well as bolt in valve stems. Also research HOW to balance them. Looks like Sendel wheels and they require a lug centric balance vs a hub centric balance.
Conventional wisdom is you don't need to balance trailer tires. I don't agree with that. But don't think this is something that unique to Keystone or RV manufacturers in general.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
KYFamily

All four of my trailers came without the tires balance and that was from four different manufactures. When I replaced the last set of tires of this camper I forgot all about having them balanced. I was taking them back off and I can't tell any difference anyway.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
CWtheMan

IMO the RV trailer industry just follows the basic rules.

Tire balancing is a product of the tire industry. If the tire brand manufacturer does not include tire balancing in their warranty package, there is no other requirement, that I know of, that would require the trailer manufacturer to have the wheel/tire assembly balanced.

Most of the new tires have a colored dot system. Most of the OEM providers are mounting the tires to wheels that have corresponding dimples for tires with colored dots. They are also using 100% nitrogen inflation gas, identified with green valve stem caps.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

So, last year, I upgraded from d to e tires, from 65 psi to 80 psi, balanced tires, before it that factory tires and of course not balanced. I never have balanced any trailer tires in any rvs or boat trailers before.
We went on a trip of around 1,000 miles in a week and I did not notice any change in towing or handling of the trailer. I will not say it did not make any difference but, from the driver's seat I did not notice. That ride may be different if your in the trailer.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:27 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
IMO the RV trailer industry just follows the basic rules.

Tire balancing is a product of the tire industry. If the tire brand manufacturer does not include tire balancing in their warranty package, there is no other requirement, that I know of, that would require the trailer manufacturer to have the wheel/tire assembly balanced.

Most of the new tires have a colored dot system. Most of the OEM providers are mounting the tires to wheels that have corresponding dimples for tires with colored dots. They are also using 100% nitrogen inflation gas, identified with green valve stem caps.
So, is it not a requirement in the auto industry? I think the only reason is because it can't be felt. The rear suspension on any leaf spring truck is better equipped to handle unbalanced tires as the springs are tempered by shock absorbers. JMHO any rotational component should be balanced. As for those red dots on the sidewall, it amazes me how many I see not aligned properly on vehicles that obviously (by age of vehicle ) are sporting non OEM tires.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:04 AM   #12
Ductape

Wow, what a difference a new set of shoes make ! Nice.

Around here, no tire shop balances trailer tires unless you specifically ask them to do so.... and of course, they will charge extra for it. When I install my new Goodyear Endurance tires I will certainly balance them. I can't see how balanced tires on a trailer wouldn't be better than unbalanced.
Ductape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires