Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
jim1

Expensive Annoyance

Why? When you take your brand new uncamped in 5ver back to fix couple of water leaks at both the bath and kitchen sinks it won't leak for the techs but 4hrs after getting it back home to reload it starts again? It's driving me the bride and the techs crazy. Just maybe Keystone should at least try and do some quality control or drop the price to cover the cost of owners having to fix it or hauling it back and fourth only to hear we can't find any leaks.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The only way I've ever found to actually be successful in finding a leak, especially intermittent, is to find it yourself. If it is just at the sink locations it is probably going to be an extremely easy fix, maybe as simple as loose connections, that can and should be found when they are "actually leaking". It is far, far easier and much less time consuming on something simple to just fix it as I'm sure most members would agree.

Since it is apparently very intermittent at the moment I suspect there was not an issue of "quality control". It probably worked just fine at the factory and during the dealer prep - if they did one. You haven't camped in it, but, it was towed to the dealer and you towed it home I assume so something could have worked itself loose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Could it be the pressure? If your water pressure at home is very high and it's not so high at the dealership, that could be why they can't find the leaks.
In any case it's important to have a water pressure regulator when hooked up to mains water. The plumbing in an RV is designed (intended) to operate at a lower pressure than household mains. Typically, the water pump in the RV will only put out about 30-50 PSI where home mains can be higher than that.
When we got to our first campsite with our new TT we also had some leaks under the sink in the kitchen. I tightened up a couple of the connectors and that seemed to fix it. Since then we bought a regulator and I set the pressure at 40PSI as my water pump only puts out 35 PSI.
Also, before we bought the regulator, high pressure mains jammed the non-return valve in the water pump and the pump wouldn't draw from the FW tank. It took me a little while to diagnose that, but it was an easy fix. I just had to take the pump apart to find and fix the problem.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
jim1

It was on the 12volt pump when it was leaking. I have since taken the cupboard doors off and a shelf to get my sausage fingers and head under the sinks to fix the problems. One slightly cross threaded plastic connection in the bathroom and two steel to plastic connectors in the kitchen, all connections were checked and wrapped with teflon tape and carefully re-tightened. Still high and dry and heading out on Saturday!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't want to talk bad about another tech, but it sounds like he/she didn't do a proper job of diagnosing. It's standard practice as far as I'm concerned to inspect ALL fittings going to the faucets or other fixtures associated with the leak.

I have had units come from the factory with lines not even hooked up. Fill the fresh tank, turn on the pump and then watch the flood. QC is lacking in the entire industry as they try to meet demand.

Rant off!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote