Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
Salt Life

Posting pix.....

How come every pic I post is sideways?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190318_105447.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	20997  
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
Salt Life

Of course , now it's working fine for some reason. All my other pix were 90° off....
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

I just posted (on other threads) some photos for the first time and they came up correct.
I think I remember a discussion on here about pictures posting sideways and the site team folks were going to check what could be done to fix that. I guess changes were made to receive and post pictures correctly.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Try this

Using the web site, edit your post. Remove the pictures and note which way they need to be rotated. Using a photo editor like Paint, rotate the picture the needed direction, save it to your computer and upload it again. This usually works.

If on a smart phone, using the app Tapatalk doesnt rotate the pictures.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There has long been an issue with posting photos from phone apps. They simply don't always work. If a member chooses to post from a phone, that member runs the risk of having their photos displayed in a random orientation. That's not an issue with the forum software, it's an issue with the Tapatalk app and with some other apps. The forum software doesn't always work with apps and we can't control how every app displays or interacts with the forum software.

As far as I know, there's no "software work-around" developed or even in the works to assure every third party program will translate properly.

Folks, it ain't the forum's fault that your phone doesn't talk to the forum software properly. I've never had a photo display incorrectly. That said, I've never used anything except a computer (desktop or laptop) to post. With nearly 15,000 posts and well over 2000 photos, not one has displayed incorrectly. If you "simply don't care how your photos display" then any app'll do.... If you're concerned, then you can correct the orientation by editing your post while using any desktop or laptop computer to change the orientation.

For nearly 6 months (when tapatalk first came out) I edited posts as a courtesy to members who chose the convenience of using a mobile device to access the forum. But, as tapatalk grew in popularity, I found that editing the number of posts became almost a full time job. It's simply impossible for the moderators to continue editing posts to correct issues with photos when the membership chooses convenience at someone else's inconvenience. So, about 4 years ago, I stopped editing orientation and left it up to the member who posted it to correct his own pictures. To date, less than a handful have actually edited their post.

So, it's the app you're using that is causing the orientation problem. The software platform used by the forum is not the issue and there's no "fix" that I'm aware of except for the member whose photos are upside down to edit their post to correct the problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
crk112

It's worth noting that Apple products.. i.e. iPad, iPod, iPhone... tend to save photos in random up/down/sideways orientations. Perhaps there's a rhyme or reason somewhere but for our purposes it's pretty much random.

When you view it on the iPhone itself the orientation is correct. I manually copy all my photos off the iPhone file system and LOT of them are not in the correct "up/down" orientation in the JPG file itself.

I'd opine that it's Apple's camera software that's culprit in many cases.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
Fishsizzle

I get issues with my program that runs my biz. If I take pics with the phone vertical, or if a client does and sends it in, it always saves sideways, no matter how I turn it in the photo editor. It shows sideways in the client profile.

If the pic was taken horizontally, then it i comes out correctly. Crazy
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

I do like the dog's "yellow" front paws! Wonder how that hole in the ground got there?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 AM   #9
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
It's worth noting that Apple products.. i.e. iPad, iPod, iPhone... tend to save photos in random up/down/sideways orientations.
Is this a joke? Can't really tell.

No way this is true, think about it.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:32 AM   #10
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
Is this a joke? Can't really tell.

No way this is true, think about it.
Mine are always straight up on my iPhone, iPad, and IMac. I’d like to see shots of this guys library
Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
crk112

I copy the JPG files off to a windows file system... not using iTunes or iCloud or photo manager or anything.
i have to manually correct the orientation of many of the images once they’re on the PC.

If the JPGs are coming out like this then it’s possible that’s how the web browser is getting them when it uploads to the forum. The forum software has no way of knowing which way is up, it just takes a JPG and displays it.
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk112 View Post
I copy the JPG files off to a windows file system... not using iTunes or iCloud or photo manager or anything.
i have to manually correct the orientation of many of the images once they’re on the PC.

If the JPGs are coming out like this then it’s possible that’s how the web browser is getting them when it uploads to the forum. The forum software has no way of knowing which way is up, it just takes a JPG and displays it.
I will say, I use my phone for 99% of my viewing/posting and this is the only forum of the many I use that rotates pics. The others are VBulletin, I’ve never had an rotated pic on them.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #13
crk112

Huh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ well that was my two cents !
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I will say, I use my phone for 99% of my viewing/posting and this is the only forum of the many I use that rotates pics. The others are VBulletin, I’ve never had an rotated pic on them.
Go to the bottom of the webpage you're reading this thread on and you'll note that this forum also uses vBulletin.

The very bottom two lines:

"Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc."

Which is the most recent "problem free" version of the vBulletin software.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #15
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Go to the bottom of the webpage you're reading this thread on and you'll note that this forum also uses vBulletin.

Mine says this

http://www.vbadvanced.com/

The other VBulletin has enhanced mobile mode. This forum doesn’t do it. This forum looks nothing like the others.

Maybe I’m not doing something right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89FCE697-E155-41E4-BD74-01FD8A427C96.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	21015  
Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #16
Salt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I belong to another site and we're using Vb 5.x.x. what a mess. It's been at least 3 yrs that we've tried to fix it. And it still has major issues....

As far as posting pix, what I'm seeing with phone pix, if you take a pic landscape vs portrait, the landscape pix wont rotate where the portrait pix will.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Life View Post
I belong to another site and we're using Vb 5.x.x. what a mess. It's been at least 3 yrs that we've tried to fix it. And it still has major issues....

As far as posting pix, what I'm seeing with phone pix, if you take a pic landscape vs portrait, the landscape pix wont rotate where the portrait pix will.
From what I understand, the Vbulletin "advanced versions" have significant issues that go far beyond "photo orientation" which is the only "major issue" with the current software version we're using. The previous forum owner, a software engineer, was wisely schooled to not "jump at every update" but to allow other forums to be the "test bed for changes" before jumping into the newest and greatest. Fortunately for us, the current forum owner also follows that mantra.

Fishsizzle, I'd be curious to see what's on the bottom of your forum webpages if you're using a "conventional computer" either a laptop or desktop. "methinks" you'll see: