Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
MerlinB

Sliding Table Top

This is not exactly a modification, it's actually a discovery that eliminated the need for a modification. Someone posted in another thread a few days ago that they had their dealer move their dining table because it was originally fastened to the floor in a position that was centered on the adjacent window for appearance purposes and it did not leave enough room on one side for comfortable seating.

I had the exact same problem in my 2016 Cougar XLite 28SGS. The first photo shows the table in its normal position. It is located in the curb side slideout along with the entertainment center. The distance between the edge of the table and the aft wall of the slideout is about 20.5" but the window valance extends 3" into that space so when a chair is placed against the window valance there is about 17" from the edge of the table to the back of the chair. Now, I am not a real big guy (I weigh about 165 lbs) but it was a real tight squeeze for me to sit on that side of the table.

One day when I was cleaning up after a camping trip I noticed a couple of the screws holding the table to the floor seemed to be loose. So I got on the floor under the table to tighten them. While under there I happened to look up at the bottom of the table top and I saw what appeared to be a hinge near the end toward the window. And I thought, why is there a hinge up there? Turns out it is one of those spring loaded cabinet hinges that is designed to keep a cabinet door closed. That spring keeps it in position between the two wood blocks. (See the second photo.)

I reached up and pulled that hinge flap down (see third photo) and the light came on. I got up from under the table and pushed on the table top and, sure enough, the whole thing slides about 5" either side of its centered position. That gives me plenty of room to sit comfortably on that aft side. There is plenty of room on the other side because it is almost 24" from the edge of the table to the entertainment center cabinet when the table is centered. (See the fourth and fifth photos.)

So, that is now part of my setup routine. I unlatch the table top and slide it over a little bit and when I pack up I re-center it and engage the latch because I don't want it sliding back and forth while I am driving down the road.

I have never seen this feature mentioned in any of the Keystone manuals or brochures. No one at the dealer mentioned it and I have never seen it talked about on any forums. However, I am willing to bet my next Social Security check that I am not the only one that has a table like this.

If the base of your table looks like mine (see the last photo) you should take a look underneath and see if you possibly have a sliding table top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	20768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Latch.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	20769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch Open.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	20770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Moved.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	20771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Moved Forward.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	20772  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Base.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	20773  
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Tbos

That is really interesting. I’ll have to crawl under my table to see if it has any hidden features.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
RubyCJ

Interesting, I'll have to look !
Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
GMcKenzie

Slightly off topic, but as you were under there tightening up the screws, don't ever try to put longer screws in to hold the table down. I found my table tipped over after a bad stretch of road so got some bigger and longer screws to put it back down. Turns out there is no room between the bottom of the slide and the kitchen lino. I now have torn up lino from when I put my slide in.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Slightly off topic, but as you were under there tightening up the screws, don't ever try to put longer screws in to hold the table down. I found my table tipped over after a bad stretch of road so got some bigger and longer screws to put it back down. Turns out there is no room between the bottom of the slide and the kitchen lino. I now have torn up lino from when I put my slide in.
Yeah, bigger is OK, longer not so much.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote