Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #21
Wilco

It really depends on where in Florida you want to stay. You can find campgrounds in the interior, the northern part of Florida and the panhandle for that period. You may have to be flexible and move to different campgrounds every couple of weeks.

We typically spend the last 2 weeks of February near Pensacola out on the panhandle. We know it will be cooler but we have the beaches to ourselves. It is also close to New Orleans if you want to visit the city without crowds and the heat.

I would look for campgrounds at least a month before (the sooner, the better) and book what is available. (If you are retired military, there are several on base campgrounds you might try.)
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #22
Wilco

If you are adventurous, last winter we spent February near Death Valley (Parumph NV), in Cedar City UT (Zion & Bryce Canyon NPs), Moab UT (Arches & Canyonland NPs) and Albuquerque NM. All of them are on the northern edge of the warm winter weather. You may only have highs in the 50s and 60s but none of them were crowded (and we prefer 60F to their 100F summer temperature). Watch you weather window when crossing over the Rocky Mountains.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #23
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Not all Florida campgrounds are booked solid by "Snowbirds". Usually, the farther inland you get the less expensive and crowded they will be. If you are just looking to escape the cold and are not interested in tourist attractions call some places the week before you will arrive and I am sure you won't have a problem. Now weather for traveling that time of year is a different story.

Come on down ... help keep my taxes low.
Hank, we are staying at Ramblers Rest in Feb 2019. I contacted over 40 campgrounds and could not get a reservation until they lowered the min stay from 90 days to 30 days. Appreciate if you are familiar with Rambler Rest and can offer any info. Myakka River State Park is beautiful. We know camp hosts there and they reserved a site for us. Otherwise we’d never gotten in there. We really enjoyed fishing at the Venice pier last March. We catch some small pompano on the outer banks of North Carolina, but we caught some beautiful pompano in Venice. And yes, we are happy to help keep your tax rate low

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 AM   #24
John&Tweety

Griz we are looking at the Crystal River area could you recommend a park?
John&Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 AM   #25
notanlines

John, we have stayed in the Crystal River area many times. Rock Crusher Canyon RV park is a good one, but our favorite is Crystal Isles RV Resort
11419 W. Fort Island Trail Crystal River, FL 34429
It is pretty cool in the winter.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #26
durhamcutter

no reservations

We have not gone to Florida in the Summer so I can't say but we went To Maine in May and didn't have any reservations and didn't have any trouble getting spots at night. The only thing I can say is we went when school was still in session. Good luck and happy camping.
durhamcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
Brantlaker

I go to Riverside RV Resort for the winter in Arcadia (10 miles from but 4 miles from Port Charlotte) they usually have sites for a month or 2. It is a great place plenty of activities. it is only 45 min. from Ft Myers on I75.
863-993-2021

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #28
mhbell

I never did it in Florida, but did do it in Yuma Arizona the Last week of January. We were in Quartzite AZ for the RV Show. After the show we went to Yuma AZ, It was a spur of the moment thing. I spent a week at 3 different RV parks a couple of nights at a time until I was able to get a Space for the month of February. Stayed until April. Thought I was going to have to Dry Camp in the desert for awhile. I would suggest staying in another state where you can get a reservation.
Mel
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #29
Tre’s Laredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
Has anyone left for Florida during the winter months without reservations at a RV resort and hoping just maybe you will find something
This may be my first reply but as someone who has lived and camped in Florida for the last 50 years, I would not recommend it. If you do try it, you won’t be alone. You’ll have thousands trying to do the thing.
Tre’s Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #30
BobAndLinda

Yes, my husband and I left for Florida in the middle of January this year. We had no problem finding campgrounds until we reached the middle of Florida. Then everything was booked. I think that as long as you aren't looking for a seasonal site, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding places to camp.
BobAndLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #31
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea

I left NS Dec. 23 a couple of years ago. Except for spending the first night in Bangor in a hotel (because of the temperature) we wandered down to Florida booking each night for where I expected to be the next night and then spent some time in Sarasota and up Zephyr Hills way (with a real nice time out for some skiing in B.C.) and never ran into a park that was full. Then wandered back to NS in the Spring.
Dave fromRockcliffeTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #32
hfhf

Blindsided

Quote:
Has anyone left for Florida during the winter months without reservations at a RV resort and hoping just maybe you will find something
We reserved a site at Goldcoaster in Florida City for 3 months.
After traveling 2000 miles we got to Florida and were e-mailed by Gold Coaster that they put a park model on our site.
No apology, no attempt to help.
hfhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #33
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfhf View Post
We reserved a site at Goldcoaster in Florida City for 3 months.
After traveling 2000 miles we got to Florida and were e-mailed by Gold Coaster that they put a park model on our site.
No apology, no attempt to help.

Wow, that's brutal. What about your deposit?
Pretty sure they would have had some company in their office parking lot for awhile if that had of been me.

I assume there was some fine-print that covered them somehow though huh?
Was it through Sun Communities?
So happens I have a reservation with them as well for 2 months next year.
hmmm

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #34
johnlewis

You don't say what part of Florida. We have gone to Florida in "high season", but we could only find RV parks away from the coast, and we made reservations before we left. If you want to go, you have to make reservations. Try campgroundreviews.com
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #35
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Done it many, many, many times. Not just in Florida, either. We tend to not stay in one spot for our annual, winter trips (Jan-May or June). Been bumming around between campgrounds without advance reservations for decades ( America, Europe, Scandinavia, England, Scotland, etc). Yep, likely a lot of luck involved, but no sweat on the whole). Never camped at a big box store, rest area, etc. Heck, one year I got a reservation at John Pennecamp state park oit of the blue. We do try to camp at military campgrounds rather than civilian places, and less at state parks because they all too often don’t have sewer connections. There are enough cancellations around the country, that with some judicious phone calls we find a place somewhere. Don’t lock yourself into just one campground, ignoring competing campgrounds, as that will limit your options. Be flexible. And be prepared to make the best of whatever you find, even if you have to really stretch your (or your spouse’s) sensibilities. So far, Corpus Christi was the worst we experienced. Crappy place, but it IS in Texas. Of course, after 30 years in the military, I learned a cardinal rule: “s—t happens, and then you die”. But we haven’t died so far. Part of the joys of traveling and camping. Tchuss!
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #36
notanlines

Jim (Old Soldier), first of all, thanks for your 30 years. We all appreciate it. And you had me convinced in your post until you got to the "be prepared to make the best of whatever you find, even if you have to really stretch your (or your spouse’s) sensibilities." In my particular case there would be no problem. Brenda can put up with most anything as long as our generator and fresh water are involved. But I have a feeling that all DW's involved might not be so forgiving.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:44 AM   #37
Rick Leary

Quote:
Don't Do It! Finding reservations in a nice RV Resort even 12 months in advance in Florida is a crap shoot. Develop a plan..execute it! You'll be much happier and clearly less stressed
Rick Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #38
dpatroch

We did it.

We did this exact same thing this past January. We had no reservations and wanted to stay at state parks. We were not looking for one spot but wanted to move around. When we reached the border we went on line and booked our first campsite south of Tampa for a couple nights.
From there we booked further sites on-line for the next three weeks. We could only get 2-3 nights at each park. There was a lot of driving but this suited us. We saw a lot of Florida that we had not seen before.
We are going back for another 3 weeks in February 2019. This time have already booked 3 night stays at 8 different state parks. We are looking forward to seeing more new areas of Florida again and it will be more relaxing knowing ahead of time where we are going.
dpatroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #39
hitchikerman

I think that's what we'll do DP is head out sometime in Feb. and get as far as we can to get a campsite. We ended up getting a resort for the month of March in New Port Richey so Off we go
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #40
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Tweety View Post
Griz we are looking at the Crystal River area could you recommend a park?
Sorry for the delayed response...just saw your post. There are two CGs in Crystal River that seem to draw the most campers.

First is Rock Crusher which is fairly wooded and spread out/larger sites. Drove around the CG and comes with very good ratings on google. It is inland slightly.

Second is Crystal Isle, which is where we stayed. Five minute drive to beach. This one is very nice, but small sites/pretty packed in. We stayed here and liked it. Lots of activities, very clean, nice small lake! A Thousand Trails CG. There was some residual damage when we were there in March from the hurricane there last September...like we didn't have a picnic table (was washed away).

You will like Crystal River. Still some very nice "old south" areas. Lot's of things to do on the River itself.

Good luck,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote