Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #21
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabal View Post
Have cougar 2019 travel trailer! Loving it ! But need to know about battery shut off will it over charge if plugged in at home or do I need to turn shut off switch? One tech told me to not over charge other have said new RV don’t have to!
Howdy Mirabal!

Your name caught my eye, and then your location. Our backcountry place is out of Grants down by the ice cave. We are friends with some Candalarias who run some cattle out by our place, and we understand they are related to the Mirabal family, so thats how your name caught my eye. We live up in Farmington, but I was in Grants Monday and out at the backcountry place until Thursday.

As far as the RV batteries go, the way I understand it, the new converters will taper off the charge pretty good as the battery "fills", so there is no need to unplug...however, the tech at my dealership did specifically say to keep an eye on the water level in the battery to make sure it doesn't go low, as the water can "boil"/evaporate over time in any standard battery. We've had our new rig since July, and I haven't had to add any water yet (you probably already know to make sure and top off with distilled water, if needed, just like a car battery).

Our old RV, a 1977 Class C motorhome, is bad about "boiling" away water out of the battery, and I'd have to remember to add water once in a while. From what I've read, that's just the nature of the old converter that is in it. It doesn't have the ability to taper off the charge near as well as the new ones do.

A lot of folks will buy a little "trickle" charger/battery maintainer to keep the battery up when their rig is in storage or not being used for while, but since I keep mine stored here at home, I just leave it plugged in. I might unplug it here an there just to give it a "rest", and to make sure everything is still working off the battery, but I'm comfortable leaving it plugged in all the time.

On thing I've learned with the new rig..With all the new electronics in them that draw electricity even when the rig isn't being used, the battery WILL go down when it just sitting there unplugged MUCH faster than the battery would in our old motorhome. Our old motorhome could sit for months and the battery would still have a good charge. The new rig, with all the electronics like the radio and propane leak alarm using power all the time, will draw the battery down much faster, so if you do keep it unplugged, keep an eye on that so the battery doesn't go dead.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabal View Post
Have cougar 2019 travel trailer! Loving it ! But need to know about battery shut off will it over charge if plugged in at home or do I need to turn shut off switch? One tech told me to not over charge other have said new RV don’t have to!
The onboard converter is supposed to reduce the charge voltage to a "maintenance" level once the batteries reach full charge. That said, I have noticed our batteries "boil-off" when plugged into our house shore power for extended periods. The solution was to operate the battery disconnect effectively removing the batteries from the charge circuit. Every few days I'd turn the disconnect back on for a day or two. When storing the Cougar for the winter I remove the batteries to the garage and put them on the battery tender, occasionally checking the water levels and adding as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (10 of 11).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	19166  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote