Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #21
DarrenP

update!!

Hi,
Furrion determined it was the front panel module on the stove. They sent the part to a technician, he came out, swapped them out and....still the problem. Just this morning I took both my batteries in and they tested bad. I haven't replaced them yet because I might replace them with lithium and the converter with one that works with lithium batteries.
Could the bad batteries be causing my stove knob light issue?
Thanks
DarrenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:21 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

If the problem existed while plugged into shore power, I would think the converter would supply enough voltage for the module to operate properly.

Just my thoughts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with Chuck. I don't know what module they replaced but unless it has some method of self generating battery it wouldn't be causing the LEDs to stay lit. The converter should be plenty to operate the stove lights normally. Have you checked the converter to make sure it's OK? If both batteries were bad and it's been hustling trying to charge bad batteries it might have been damaged as well. If everything else 12vdc is working OK then I would have to think there is still a problem with the stove. Was anything determined about the interaction between the stove and A/C?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:15 AM   #24
DarrenP

Chuck & Sourdough, Thanks for keeping with me on this one. The tech. that was out said there should be no connection between the stove and the a/c. The a/c has been working great in this Florida heat. The lights still dim when the a/c kicks in. I still think there is a connection between the two. This is a head scratcher for sure and my troubleshooting skills are not anywhere near yours.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:33 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenP View Post
Chuck & Sourdough, Thanks for keeping with me on this one. The tech. that was out said there should be no connection between the stove and the a/c. The a/c has been working great in this Florida heat. The lights still dim when the a/c kicks in. I still think there is a connection between the two. This is a head scratcher for sure and my troubleshooting skills are not anywhere near yours.
The only thing that I can think of to explain this would be weak batteries, or poor battery connections, and or the converter. When the a/c compressor starts it draws high amperage. If the 12vdc system is marginal and the batteries and charger (converter) can't make up for the drop in 120vac voltage then the lights would dim.

I would be checking for a good ground connection on both 12vdc and 120vac systems. Check battery voltage @ the distribution panel and check the a/c start up amps with a clamp styles ac meter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #26
DarrenP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The only thing that I can think of to explain this would be weak batteries, or poor battery connections, and or the converter. When the a/c compressor starts it draws high amperage. If the 12vdc system is marginal and the batteries and charger (converter) can't make up for the drop in 120vac voltage then the lights would dim.

I would be checking for a good ground connection on both 12vdc and 120vac systems. Check battery voltage @ the distribution panel and check the a/c start up amps with a clamp styles ac meter.
I did take the two 6v wired in series batteries in and had them tested. They both tested bad. I'm in the process of researching to replace them with lithium which means I'll also have to replace my converter.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

The dimming of the lights when the A/C kicks on is understandable with bad/no batteries and the converter trying to carry the load. I think first thing I would do is fix the 12vdc problem by replacing those batteries. When that problem is solved and we know we have good batteries vs bad ones that impact both AC (via converter) and DC you can move on to the stove.
Old 08-08-2023, 01:56 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

To add a caution to Danny's comments about getting the battery/batteries reinstalled in the trailer 12 volt system, remember that the converter is not capable of providing the "power surge" required to operate the slides or the leveling system without the battery to take up the slack. Without a functioning, fully charged battery in the system to augment the converter/charger, you risk damaging or destroying your converter by opening/closing the slides, using the leveling system and maybe even by opening the awning.

A fully charged battery is necessary to carry the "high amp load of those big DC motors"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 03:14 PM   #29
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenP View Post
Hi all. After 3 months of full time RVing the blue lights behind the stove (not oven) knobs are on all the time. Not as bright as when they are switched on but still on. The knob lights dim even more and stay that way when the air conditioning is on. When I turn the knob lights on my converter fan immediately turns on. If I turn them off the fan turns off. The converter fan doesn't immediately come on when I turn any other 12v lights or 120V circuits. Also the air conditioning doesn't cause any other lights to dim, only the knob lights when they are off. If the knob lights are on, they do not dim when the AC comes on. I should add the stove and oven work as they should. Any ideas what might be causing this? I'm worried it could lead to bigger, more expensive problems. It's in a 2022 Passport 2400RBWE. Thanks
Let me see: do an ohm test between terminals d3 and r14 on circuit board t4 and access that panel by removing the stove and turning it upside down and doing this test. If that test is positive but the problem still exists... really? The quick solution is to pull out the furrion junk appliance and replace with a name brand. Any other brand is better in my opinion.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #30
DarrenP

Fixed!!!

This morning I replaced the converter and up until now the stove knob back lights have not been on when they are turned off. I want to thank everyone that took the time to offer me possible solutions and words of encouragement. This is a great forum. I have a Keystone Passport so I'm sure I'll be back. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:28 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Good deal! Let's hope that fixes it. I don't see how the converter could keep the knob lights on when you had all 3 wires to the switch disconnected but....they're not on now!
Old 08-16-2023, 12:36 PM   #32
DarrenP

I was going to wait a few days to post that it is fixed but I got too excited. There are lots of wires down there so maybe it was a loose connection someplace.
Old 08-18-2023, 06:37 AM   #33
DarrenP

Are You Kidding Me??

Below is the response I got from Furrion when I sent them the entire email string where they said the front panel module was the problem and it didn't fix the problem. She didn't even read the email string or see I said stove knobs not oven knob. I sent the email before I fixed the problem with this forums help. Pretty basic, when the switch is off there are not supposed to be any lights on.

Good Afternoon,

The functionality of the oven is working as designed.
Attached to this email is the user manual.
The knob BLUE LED light, when in the off position, is the decoration light!
Knobs will turn red when in use.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Sophie Q
Lippert Customer Care Center, Appliance & Electronics Technician
p: 432.LIPPERT | f: 574.534.7161
e: [email protected]

Tags
light, lights