Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
VTT

Meaning of lights on shoreline male connector

My shoreline connection is currently displaying a blue light and red light when plugged in at home. Normally they display two blue lights. Does anyone have any idea what this means?

Thanks,

VTT
VTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 01:35 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What year, make and model of trailer? What kind of power cord and is it 30 or 50A? What kind of "lights"? I think I've seen some pictures of newer trailers with some sort of LEDs on the end you plug in...is that what you have or is there some sort of surge protector or ?? A lot more information is needed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What year, make and model of trailer? What kind of power cord and is it 30 or 50A? What kind of "lights"? I think I've seen some pictures of newer trailers with some sort of LEDs on the end you plug in...is that what you have or is there some sort of surge protector or ?? A lot more information is needed.
Danny, the gentleman who smoked his power cord connections on both ends had lights on the end that plugs into pedestal power and I think his was 50A. OP, shoreline lights made me think of something totally different.

Put together a signature with year, make and model of camper and same for tow vehicle. User CP top/left of each page and be sure to save it. This will allow a bit of context to any question you might have. You might also learn how to post a picture of what you refer to; pretty simple once you get it figured out. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 04:59 PM   #4
VTT

More information regarding lights on shoreline

Thanks for the quick response. My camper is a Keystone Premier 2021. The lights are two LEDs that are located on the top of the male end of the shoreline plug-in. The plug-in is 30A. I can't seem to find any documentation on what the red LED light might indicate. I'm plugged in at home to a 20A connection using an adapter to my Premier. I've done this many times preparing for a camping trip but have not seen the red LED light before.

Additional information regarding the tow vehicle: 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7 liter hemi engine. The 1500 is not connected to the camper when the shoreline is connected.

Best regards,

VTT
VTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure which brand shore power cord you have and whether it's a 30 amp cord or a 50 amp cord that you're plugging into a 30 amp outlet. So, this is a "sort of best guess".

Conntek has both a 30 amp and a 50 amp male plug with two lights, one red and one blue. They are explained in the two following photographs. Essentially, if the blue one is on, it's OK to use the outlet, if the red one is on, it's not OK to use the outlet. The problem could be the outlet, the house wiring or the shore power cord.

Keep in mind I'm not sure this is the specific plug you have, so this may not be "your plug" or "your problem"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug indicator lights 1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	44436   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug indicator lights.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	44437  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:45 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Danny, the gentleman who smoked his power cord connections on both ends had lights on the end that plugs into pedestal power and I think his was 50A. OP, shoreline lights made me think of something totally different.

Put together a signature with year, make and model of camper and same for tow vehicle. User CP top/left of each page and be sure to save it. This will allow a bit of context to any question you might have. You might also learn how to post a picture of what you refer to; pretty simple once you get it figured out. Good luck.

Yeah, I think that was the pic I was thinking about. Not seen one in real life so don't know what the cord or lights are doing.
Old 07-04-2023, 07:08 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Yeah, I think that was the pic I was thinking about. Not seen one in real life so don't know what the cord or lights are doing.
My dim memory said red and green which would make some sense as those colors are kind of intuitive. Some of the Bullet Premiere line has 50A service as an option. The OP still hasn't mentioned whether his camper's actual model or if the camper is 30A or 50A. That info John shared and the fella who smoked his power cord (with the lights) were both 50A. Not sure if a 30A service would have lights. Need to give up on this exercise as there just isn't enough info to be helpful.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
RollaMo

Well, in post #4 he did say it was a Keystone Premier 2021 (still no actual model number).
He also stated it was a 30A shore power cable, and the male end has LED lights.

Our 2022 Cougar 24RDS (50A) also has little LED lights on the male end of the shore power cable.
However, they are Red and Green.
Green = Power is present
Red = Reverse polarity or neutral loss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	44444  
Old 07-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Well, in post #4 he did say it was a Keystone Premier 2021 (still no actual model number).
He also stated it was a 30A shore power cable, and the male end has LED lights.

Our 2022 Cougar 24RDS (50A) also has little LED lights on the male end of the shore power cable.
However, they are Red and Green.
Green = Power is present
Red = Reverse polarity or neutral loss

Just guessing then the blue might mean power present and his red light means the same as yours.....? OP says it usually shows 2 blue lights so one has turned red; don't know if the other one has that ability or not. With a 30A trailer it is only monitoring one hot leg so I'm guessing that's the blue light. Everything I've found that has a red and blue light indicates only one blue light operates if all is good. The red comes on if there is a fault indicated. None of them have a red LED that turns blue for a 2 blue light operation.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #10
RollaMo

Quote:
Just guessing then the blue might mean power present and his red light means the same as yours.....? OP says it usually shows 2 blue lights so one has turned red; don't know if the other one has that ability or not. With a 30A trailer it is only monitoring one hot leg so I'm guessing that's the blue light. Everything I've found that has a red and blue light indicates only one blue light operates if all is good. The red comes on if there is a fault indicated. None of them have a red LED that turns blue for a 2 blue light operation.
I believe you are correct.
I don't think the lights will change colors, as they are fixed LED lights.

One thing to point out though, and you can somewhat see it in the picture I posted.
Notice my trailer isn't even plugged in, but it does not take much sunlight to make it look like the lights are on.
To be clear they are not on, the light hitting them just makes it look like they are.

Tags
light, lights