Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #81
wesaysoracing

the night vapor weighs 16.4 grams or 0.6 ounce
wesaysoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #82
Nitka

Not taking any sides here, but only stating what I recently read (and honestly felt it made sense).

Recently read that they were not allowed in campgrounds or at Smith Rock in Oregon because both the sound and the action of the drone could disturb birds (that are rare and endangered) nesting near by. I have enjoyed RC cars while camping, but always took them away from other campers and was careful to "tread lightly."

For those that enjoy, I wish you luck finding a great place to play. For those that don't, I recommend not stressing about it unless someone is bothering you with their toys. Then, if they do, just asking kindly might get you good results and a new camping friend.
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #83
SAABDOCTOR

What do you mean by "i enjoy r/c cars while camping but took them away from others"?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #84
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Pretty sure he means that he ran them in locations where they wouldn't bother other campers.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #85
Desert185

Guys with not enough pickup payload and drone flyers = forum pariah.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #86
ReadyToRoll

Guess my thought, if your drone is hovering overhead of me at my campsite, kinda would be like a neighbor setting up his lawn chair, getting his binoculars, and staring at me. Think my patience would run pretty thin and pretty quickly. I like my privacy and assume anyone else does the same. Just me. Ps. don't get me wrong, I'm not anti social by any means so if my neighbor would like to stop by and say "hi", that sure isn't a problem.
ReadyToRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #87
Seabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Guys with not enough pickup payload and drone flyers = forum pariah.
giggle giggle snort giggle
Old 06-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #88
PerryB

I love R/C planes and cars, and have a couple of each, but I don't want them buzzing /whizzing around me while camping. If the users have the courtesy to operate them discreetly away from the sites I wish them all possible pleasure, I'll probably even come down to watch.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:59 AM   #89
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
A The FAA has yet to publish viable "drone" rules.
The FAA probably doesn't even know what a drone is; they are still stuck 20 years behind like always. They have to be the worst Government organization and that is saying a lot. They preach "standardization" yet not one FAA office is standard. Every single FAA person overseeing a particular airline goes by a completely different set of rules, usually their own rules. Also gotta love our FAA for buying Hyundai's as "official government vehicles".

As far as camping and drones I haven't had any issues. I just wish the parents would teach their kids not to ride their bicycles around my truck and camper, especially between the truck and 5th wheel hitch. Last time camping I had kids riding over my patio mat, they were that close and also going underneath the front of the 5th wheel. Then I had two teenagers throwing a football with one of them standing in front of my truck. I kindly told them to move away from my camper and truck which lasted about 30 minutes. I then told them it was great they were outside playing but to move away from the vehicles, mine and everyone Else's.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #90
Desert185

I agree, and have to add that there are many dysfunctional gov't organizations run by incompetent administrators. The incompetence isn't limited to the FAA.

Unruly kids are a bigger threat to my personal enjoyment level than any drone would be. Privacy in a crowded park isn't going to happen, drone or no drone.

Being seniors, we like the 55 and over parks if they're available. With the exception of my Cummins , there is a quieter, more civil clientele, generally. Participation in group activities, particularly over-populated with sugar-fueled, hyperactive, high decibel urchins isn't something we enjoy. Having said that, we do enjoy well-mannered children and will engage them in what their interests are...afterall, I am a parent and grandparent, and still have some surfacing, urchin tendencies, so I understand.

I could go on, but you get the point. Life is tough, wear a helmet.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #91
W.E.BGood

I had my small Syma X5C "quad copter" at a Wisconsin State Park campground last week. I first checked the park rules and there were currently no restrictions/prohibitions. I flew it off from 2 vacant campsites out over the bluffs to get some sunset videos of the adjoining river valleys, but FIRST checked with the surrounding campers if they had any objections, demonstrated how quiet it was, kept flight time to 10 minutes max and NEVER flew over or near their sites or people. Pretty much just common sense and respect for others. Isn't that what it's all about?
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #92
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.BGood View Post
I had my small Syma X5C "quad copter" at a Wisconsin State Park campground last week. I first checked the park rules and there were currently no restrictions/prohibitions. I flew it off from 2 vacant campsites out over the bluffs to get some sunset videos of the adjoining river valleys, but FIRST checked with the surrounding campers if they had any objections, demonstrated how quiet it was, kept flight time to 10 minutes max and NEVER flew over or near their sites or people. Pretty much just common sense and respect for others. Isn't that what it's all about?
Agreed on the common sense. Unfortunately, I think the words "common" "sense" and "courtesy" seem to have dis associated a long time ago........
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #93
Seabee

Its pretty much just sense really. If it was so common we could buy it at Wal-mart.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #94
sourdough
Site Team

w.e.bgood - I don't want them flown over me or around me and my family taking pictures etc. That said, the way you did it was the correct way to approach it IMO and if I had been one of the neighbors you asked I would have had no problem with it at all. Good sense and courtesy....invaluable
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #95
Whitewolf

When I camp, I don't want yapping dogs or buzzy things. I do love to hear kids play tho. That is one noise that brings me peace.
On a side note, we in the U.P. view drones like we do wild hogs. Open season all year round.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #96
TexasKevin

Smile Fly Away

Fly away and have fun. As long as you are not videoing the other people RVing, enjoy it. Its not like they are hurting anyone. I go camping all the time and like to watch the younger generation enjoying the modern day gadgets. They are not noisy, don't disrupt when your relaxing. Its not hurting nothing. Now if they are being reckless or putting you in danger, I agree with you, it needs to stop. Face it dude, this is how the younger generation rolls.......
TexasKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #97
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Just an opinion....

To me drones are equivalent to remote control airplanes. Find a field and fly them....where its safe and out of the way. This is esp true if they have a cam...the operators have no place invading the privacy of other campers.
I think part of the issue with drones is that the technology has improved by an order of magnitude (or more) since the early days of RC aircraft. Drones can simply hover in place and are much easier to maneuver (not crash) over populated areas thus the view of the "pilot" could be that moving to an open space isn't necessary.

Not advocating for this, just trying to "walk a mile in their shoes".

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #98
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasKevin View Post
Fly away and have fun. As long as you are not videoing the other people RVing, enjoy it. Its not like they are hurting anyone. I go camping all the time and like to watch the younger generation enjoying the modern day gadgets. They are not noisy, don't disrupt when your relaxing. Its not hurting nothing. Now if they are being reckless or putting you in danger, I agree with you, it needs to stop. Face it dude, this is how the younger generation rolls.......
Let me see if I have this right. If one of these "quiet drones" appears in our campsite space and hovers over us it's "okay" as long as it isn't taking videos or photos of us. And just how am I to know that we aren't being videotaped? Is there a camera that I can easily see?

And what would you suggest I do if I happen to spot a camera mounted on one? Should I get up and track down the owner and ask him/her to stop? Should I go to the campground manager and complain? What do I need to do to avoid getting into a confrontation about this? Why do I need to go to this trouble in the first place?

I'm sitting there minding my own business and look up to see a drone hovering around me, our RV, fire pit or picnic table and I'm supposed to suck it up 'cause this is "how the younger generation rolls"? Why should I have to put up with someone's inconsiderate and disrespectful behavior? Yes, the drones are not "hurting me" but they are in our campsite - in our space. Just because it's not "hurting me" doesn't make it right. Would anyone bother to ask us if flying them in our site would be ok? Would they go somewhere else if we minded if they did? Maybe. Maybe not. Oh yes, I forgot. "It's the way the younger generation rolls". So lighten up, Festus2. Get used to it.

Bring your drones to the campground. Fly them in an open field. Fly them where you are not infringing upon the rights of others to enjoy their privacy. Fly them and have your fun with drones and the other "modern day gadgets". Just don't fly them in our campsite.

Camping and living is not all about "me". It's not about "fly away and have fun". It's about "us". Sorry, but I'm too old to be told to "face it, Dude".
Old 06-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #99
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Camping and living is not all about "me". It's not about "fly away and have fun". It's about "us". Sorry, but I'm too old to be told to "face it, Dude".
Festus2'

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

The lack of CIVILITY and respect the younger generation displays is appalling to me. I blame it on a generation of "DR. Spock" kids now having kids of their own.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #100
Seabee

I would sincerely hope, that any half-way decent parent, would not allow one of their kids to fly a drone into other people's campsites just out of simply being courteous. Having said that, if some parent isn't supervising their kid, and said kid flies that thing into my campsite, you better believe that this here Seabee is going to track down that kid's parents and have a come-to-jesus conversation. I mean dang, I don't take my dogs into other people's campsites for their calls to nature. To me, it's the EXACT same thing.