Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
tribalsimba

Fresh Tank Leak / Aerodynamic Cap cracks

Took our 2011 Laredo 303TG in. While filling the Fresh/Potable Water tank for the first time I immediately noticed a "drip" from an underbelly screw. When I hitched up to take it to the dealer I also noticed two spider web looking cracks on the nose cap adjacent the propane tank storage, that were not there when we took out Memorial Day weekennd. I'm wondering if on the return trip; the wind stress fractured the cap. Sounds like Keystone and my dealer are working on it. I'll keep you up to date.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
tribalsimba

The Fresh Water tank was replaced. I was told it was a manufacture quality inspection item; that was siliconed at the factory in hopes it would solve it. The downside is now my one-piece underbelly liner is no longer one piece, and to boot my dealer used a piece of wood and goopy silicone to bridge the cut they made. I think I'll re-do it with some aluminum and rivits next summer.

As for the stress fractures in the epoxy gel coating on the nose cap; they said it was cosmetic only. While I could probably 'fight' to have it replaced/fixed, they chances of larger issues being created in the process was likely (especially if it were to be replaced). I said i could live with it; I didn't want the headache for some hardly noticable cracks in the gel-coat.

All in all, for the $$$ the unit is amazing. Compared to our friends Kodiak; I'm really impressed with some of the 'finish' on several aspects of our unit compared to theirs. I do have brown camper envy though. Never saw that coming, the year after we purchased ours.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
TNT Miller

The front cap on my Laredo 5th wheel also cracked -small spider cracks showed up in the upper right side .this is just one of at least 16 different issues with my Laredo . Keystone did cover all off repairs to date the only problem is it has been in for repair for a total of around 3 plus months . The last go-round droped off at camping world on 11-19-2012 and I still do not have it back due to the lack of a parts guy opening a box to verify that all the pieces and parts were there and that they were correct . SO FAR NOT VERY HAPPY WITH CAMPING WORLD . But I guess I'm not alone . I don't know how they keep the doors open with the lack of service that so many have
complained about (Yelp .com) Good luck with your issues-Todd
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Escs36

3 months! What a kick in the family jewels! What about monthly payment reimbursements from Keystone while warranty work is being performed?

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301, Dual A/C's, Fantastic Fan 6600R, Upgraded stereo with an amplifier and subwoofer, Dirt Devil Central Vac, Dewalt pancake compressor, Black and Decker Space Maker Coffee maker, Cabinet above garage entry door, 5# mattress topper 2.5" thick
Escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
TNT Miller

most of the screw-up was camping world . as is the case with my now on going saga ( dropped of for replacement of front cap on 11-19-2012 and still do not have it back )
TNT Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
tribalsimba

Gel Coat cracks

I chose not to get the cracks fixed. I'm more concerned that the quality of work will result in bigger problems than the fairly unnoticable issue.

I'm told the cracks in the cap gel coat are not 'repairable'; but 'replaceable'. That's a whole lot of weather seal I just don't want messed with.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
davidjsimons

Gel coat cracks are more cosmetic than structural. They tend to be stress related. You can repair them but they tend to come back over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
tribalsimba

Stress Related

Unfortunately, the only stress my cap has endured is either wind or from the propane bottles.

For wind I would figure the aerodynamics of my Suburban, and previous Silverado w/ CAP, helped keep the wind off the cap more so than a traditional truck, so this I'd consider a significant manufacture defect, even if only cosmetic.

As for the propane bottles, and other chassis flex, I have them in there tight; but they do somewhat rest on the back of the cap; so maybe normal chassis flex and bottle movement; but again, design flaw.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalsimba View Post
Unfortunately, the only stress my cap has endured is either wind or from the propane bottles.

For wind I would figure the aerodynamics of my Suburban, and previous Silverado w/ CAP, helped keep the wind off the cap more so than a traditional truck, so this I'd consider a significant manufacture defect, even if only cosmetic.

As for the propane bottles, and other chassis flex, I have them in there tight; but they do somewhat rest on the back of the cap; so maybe normal chassis flex and bottle movement; but again, design flaw.
The stress to the fiberglass most likely isn't from what you're describing. Rather, the end cap is made about 1/8" bigger than the front of the trailer so it will slip over it. Then it is screwed, glued and stapled in place, the rubber roof is installed and then molding is applied over the seams. When the screws pull it tight against the trailer sides and top, it pulls it into position and bends the flat panels as they seat together causing some stress in the cap as it bends to conform to the trailer shape. This stress can cause very small stress cracks in the gel coat over time. That, coupled with the UV deterioration is probably what you're seeing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The stress to the fiberglass most likely isn't from what you're describing. Rather, the end cap is made about 1/8" bigger than the front of the trailer so it will slip over it. Then it is screwed, glued and stapled in place, the rubber roof is installed and then molding is applied over the seams. When the screws pull it tight against the trailer sides and top, it pulls it into position and bends the flat panels as they seat together causing some stress in the cap as it bends to conform to the trailer shape. This stress can cause very small stress cracks in the gel coat over time. That, coupled with the UV deterioration is probably what you're seeing.
This was my definition as well when I made the reference to the "stress" cracks. Not from the stress of any type of opposing force created by wind. Stress cracks arise during construction and even normal over the road towing as the unit flexes. I built fiberglass boats for a few years and it is just part of the nature of fiberglass and gel coat.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
tribalsimba

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think for it to be described as normal; with the technical understanding you have provided is refreshing compared to the understanding I've had. Not that I like the stress cracks, however, I'm sure I'd hate the complications from trying to replace the nose cap more. It's just unfortunate, as it is so visual on a TT. I assume on a 5'er its too high up to notice. It seems also that the propane tank recess on the TT creates weaker points, or more vulnerable points, at eye level, making them more noticeable. I might suggest the manufacture redesigns their vinyl graphics for the nose cap to cover these areas where the gel coat cracks occur; since it is only cosmetic, but to the used buyer, it would take a lot of explaining.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #12
davidjsimons

Another issue that can also lead to stress cracks is gel coat applied too heavy. But again, there is no structural harm. That situation tends to show up more in hard angles and corners.