Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Dirtherder

Fire down below

We had just pulled into our site and were leveling the unit (2017 Montana 3790RD) when I got a shower of sparks from underneath. One of the main power cables in the belly had abraded against the chassis and decided to short out creating a fire underneath. I had to cut out the sheeting to get to the flames. No power and slides are in. Lovely start to my week. I am waiting for an assessment from Keystone.
Dirtherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Tbos

Hope it goes well.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Dirtherder

Update. Having trouble getting service in Holbrook I think mostly due to bad weather. I did discover that the 12 volt circuits seem to be functioning fine so I can move my unit. Spoke with Keystone and they would like me to get to a service facility for a thorough evaluation. Have some scorched hydraulic lines also and as long as they hold we are good to go. I can live with 12 volts as long as everything else is working.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
MattE303

wow, that's really scary! If this was a car we were talking about, there would be a nation wide recall to address a safety issue like that, but since it's an RV ... "meh, whatever"

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
wow, that's really scary! If this was a car we were talking about, there would be a nation wide recall to address a safety issue like that, but since it's an RV ... "meh, whatever"
Are you saying there would be an industry wide recall if one wiring harness in one car shorted out?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Are you saying there would be an industry wide recall if one wiring harness in one car shorted out?
of course not, but if, for example, a design defect caused a certain wiring harness to have a tendency to start fires in 2017 Ford Crew Cab 3.5 F150's, then yes, there would very likely be a recall on that model (or range of VIN's within it) to address the problem.

I think it's fair to say that a wiring harness that can become compromised (and start a fire) by rubbing against the chassis during normal driving is a design defect, and I don't think it would take a very large number of such occurrences to cause the recall.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
of course not, but if, for example, a design defect caused a certain wiring harness to have a tendency to start fires in 2017 Ford Crew Cab 3.5 F150's, then yes, there would very likely be a recall on that model (or range of VIN's within it) to address the problem.

I think it's fair to say that a wiring harness that can become compromised (and start a fire) by rubbing against the chassis during normal driving is a design defect, and I don't think it would take a very large number of such occurrences to cause the recall.
I don't recall the OP saying it was a design defect or that a tech has even looked at it yet to determine the cause. We don't know if the battery was ever replaced, a wire added, or anything else for that matter. Typically the battery positive cable is a short run before being interrupted by a over amperage device to protect against this type of occurence.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Dirtherder

Latest on our issue. The factory arranged for Evert's RV in Flagstaff to fix our RV. The dealer discovered a second broken weld as well an overabundance of wiring. The Dealer has been fantastic and the factory has been most supportive. The problem all started with faulty welds on the frame which broke loose under the slideout on the right side causing the 120v cable to abrade and started a fire when it grounded out. Evert's fixed that and is waiting for parts to finish the repairs. Hopefully we will be back on the road in the next few days. LCI manufactured the frame and has been apprised of the issues with the frame. Keystone has covered all repairs and Everts has been most responsive about getting the repairs done.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
notanlines

Thanks for the update. We all appreciate it. And good on ya for finding a good RV shop.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
tmason

I was having problems with my unit tripping the gfci when plugged into shore power. After several hours of isolating wires I found that the problem was a shorted wire to the outside plug.When I cut the belly open I found that the plug wiring was laying on the frame and being crushed by the flooring.I had to run a new wire to eliminate the problem.Thinking of changing the name to Passport by Yugo.
tmason is offline   Reply With Quote