Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2019, 03:53 AM   #1
danf

storage of septic elbow

I have my septic hose in the bumper which works fair. But, the elbow doesn't fit and I'd rather not store it in a compartment. Anybody know of a ready made product for outside storage?

thx
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:20 AM   #2
Frank G

Most RV'ers have a plastic tote to carry all the extra potty hose fittings.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I use two laundry tubs lined with a 50 Gal garbage bag. One is for fresh water and the other is for waste water. I don't use my bumper, putting a wet sewer hose is asking for it to rot out from the inside IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
jsb5717

Ditto the plastic Tote. I use several for different categories. All my sewer stuff is in one that has a lid. Disposable gloves always nearby.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Lee

What Frank and Chuck said...

��

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
travelin texans

I agree with storing the hose in the bumper. One day you'll hook it up, pull the handle & it will look like a soaker hose only with poopoo from all the holes the rusted up bumper interior has rubbed in it.
Plastic totes with lids & store fresh water stuff away from sewer stuff.
Watched several folks with rental class C motorhomes handle their water & sewer stuff til we were sick, they rinsed the sewer hose with drinking hose then put both into a plastic bag..... ABSOLUTELY GROSS!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The J wrap on the bottom of the trailer sides is open from below. You can use coroplast and build a "box" to secure to a couple of outriggers. Leave the back slightly open so you can reach in and store the sewer fitting and reach in to get it out again. It'll be outside the trailer, nothing else in contact with it and yet easy to get to. I built one on my trailer and installed a 6x6 compartment door in the J wrap to access both the dump valves and the sewer fitting. It's been in place 5+ years and still going strong. Coroplast is a lot more durable than most people think, and it's also as easy to work with as cardboard.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
danf

Thanks for the ideas.

I'll look at moving the hose out of the bumper. It doesn't work well anyway because the hose couplings barely fit by where they mounted the tire carrier and grill. They cranked down on the clamps just enough to change the tube shape so the hose ends have a problem. I even trimmed off some of the plastic on the connectors and it still gets stuck.

I saw some extendable tubes that could be used, but doesn't look like the elbow would fit in there. I like the compartment idea behind the J-wrap. I'll have to look and see what there is to screw into. I have a bullet 248rks.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf View Post
Thanks for the ideas.

I'll look at moving the hose out of the bumper. It doesn't work well anyway because the hose couplings barely fit by where they mounted the tire carrier and grill. They cranked down on the clamps just enough to change the tube shape so the hose ends have a problem. I even trimmed off some of the plastic on the connectors and it still gets stuck.

I saw some extendable tubes that could be used, but doesn't look like the elbow would fit in there. I like the compartment idea behind the J-wrap. I'll have to look and see what there is to screw into. I have a bullet 248rks.
You might also consider a 8' length of 6" post cover from HD or Lowe's. The 5" plastic gutter fits into it perfectly to create a drawer. Lay the sewer hose in the gutter drawer and slide it into the post cover and place the cap on it. No need for "exotic hinges and locks" just a couple of nails or a piece of bent wire through a drilled hole on each side will lock the cap in place.

As for the coroplast "cabinet" think along the lines or origami. Bend, cut, trim until you have the shape you want and size you need, then use a couple of self tapping screws to secure it to the outriggers. I used heavy brown wrapping paper to make a pattern, then traced that onto the coroplast, used a razor knife to cut it to shape and a steel yardstick to hold along the creases so they stayed even and flat when I bent the angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0626.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	22998  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might also consider a 8' length of 6" post cover from HD or Lowe's. The 5" plastic gutter fits into it perfectly to create a drawer. Lay the sewer hose in the gutter drawer and slide it into the post cover and place the cap on it. No need for "exotic hinges and locks" just a couple of nails or a piece of bent wire through a drilled hole on each side will lock the cap in place.

As for the coroplast "cabinet" think along the lines or origami. Bend, cut, trim until you have the shape you want and size you need, then use a couple of self tapping screws to secure it to the outriggers. I used heavy brown wrapping paper to make a pattern, then traced that onto the coroplast, used a razor knife to cut it to shape and a steel yardstick to hold along the creases so they stayed even and flat when I bent the angles.
I love these. It's brilliant. Simple, cheap, easy, effective. My trailer will definitely have one before next spring. I am considering building two, and using one for sewer hose and one to store a few other things. Small odds and ends that I don't want getting lost in my other compartments, with a nice drawer that slides out for easy access.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
sonofcy

Brilliant! I will definitely copy this idea! Thanks!
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
skmct

Dido on the tote with a cover . I store it in the truck bed behind the hitch. That keeps it away from everything elese.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
WNY Bullet

I saw another post somewhere, either here or another forum, that someone used this flange. They attached it to their frame and stored their elbow on it.

I'm thinking about doing it too!

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T100...ateway&sr=8-10
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
mwemaxxowner

Sterilite, 40 Gal./151 L Wheeled Industrial Tote, Black, Case of 2

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-2/44785752

I have been using these totes for various different purposes for a few years now. We started using them when we began tent camping, and since I discovered them use them for all sorts of things. They are very sturdy, and the wheels/handle is a great feature. When we were tent camping that made them perfect, because that meant my wife could wheel them around also, instead of only me being able to man handle them. When we sold our house I packed a lot of things up in them, made it super easy to wheel my heavier tools and whatnot from my shop onto my tilting trailer and into the storage building. I've used them to bring tools to a job site and rest materials and whatnot on top of them as a sort of makeshift table.

I'm not using any right now for camper things, but our trailer has a ton of storage built in.

Name:	Screenshot_20190811-155630.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	23165
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #15
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
Sterilite, 40 Gal./151 L Wheeled Industrial Tote, Black, Case of 2

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-2/44785752
I've used those in the barn and I like them... but my needs in the RV tend to be smaller boxes and more of them. I have a lot of categories I need to keep separate from one another -- black water items, fresh water items, grease gun, tools, toys -- but not a great quantity of any single category. I've been using used pool chemical buckets with spin lids, which I have a lot of. They fill the bill, except they waste a lot of space because they are round. Would like to use the rectangular chlorine buckets, but the lids crack quickly. If I could find something about a third of the size of these Walmart boxes, I'd be all over them.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
Frank G

Since LHaven is talking about chlorine, every so often I will take the tub with hoses and fittings, fill with water, a squirt of dawn and some pool chlorine, mix well and let soak an hour or two. Rinse well, dry in the sun, all is good, ready to go.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:41 AM   #17
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I've used those in the barn and I like them... but my needs in the RV tend to be smaller boxes and more of them. I have a lot of categories I need to keep separate from one another -- black water items, fresh water items, grease gun, tools, toys -- but not a great quantity of any single category. I've been using used pool chemical buckets with spin lids, which I have a lot of. They fill the bill, except they waste a lot of space because they are round. Would like to use the rectangular chlorine buckets, but the lids crack quickly. If I could find something about a third of the size of these Walmart boxes, I'd be all over them.
I have some similar to these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...51&athena=true

I think mine are about 9"high though and I think I got them at Lowe's.
I have three and use one for fresh water supplies, one for power connection stuff and one for waste supplies. They latch shut and stack very nicely taking up about the same space of a large tote.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
Whitewolf

This is what I use. Actually I have 2 of them installed. One lengthwise on the frame and the other crosswise under the frame. There's holes in the caps for airflow and the elbow fits. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Valte...-p/11-0392.htm You can get them other places too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	23202  

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 AM   #19
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
This is what I use. Actually I have 2 of them installed. One lengthwise on the frame and the other crosswise under the frame. There's holes in the caps for airflow and the elbow fits. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Valte...-p/11-0392.htm You can get them other places too.
I recently added a similar set up only mine is telescoping so it goes the full width of the trailer. I mounted it right near the sewer connection so I'm not dragging hose all over the place when I hook up. I needed to do something because the bumper got dented right in the middle and the hose elbow could not get past the dent any more.

Some of the other suggestions are great ideas also. Love the square post with the gutter tray.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #20
Kaptn Krabby

My dealer didn't recommend putting the hose in the bumper because of rust.
Kaptn Krabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage