Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Cracker

A/C BTU Rating

Can anyone tell me what the BTU rating is for the air conditioner in my 2005 294rls Cougar that I just acquired. I have all of the manuals that came with the trailer but the specific equipment details are not provided. Is it a 13,500 btu unit or a 15,000 btu unit?
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Remove the air conditioner filter panel and you should have access into the "cold air return". Inside that area you'll find the control box, all the wiring and hopefully a metal tape tag. On that tag will be the model number, serial number and other information. With the model number you can determine the BTU rating. On some brands, the BTU rating is listed on that tag, on other brands, you have to take the model number and reference it with the owner's manual to make that determination.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Cracker

Thanks John - I’ll look there - but wouldn’t it have been easy for Keystone to have provided a listing of the equipment originally furnished with any given unit??? They don’t even list the tire size anywhere or the amperage of the 12 volt DC converter/charger. I know where to find the tire size, and the converter data, but I still think an “as built” list should be provided.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Thanks John - I’ll look there - but wouldn’t it have been easy for Keystone to have provided a listing of the equipment originally furnished with any given unit??? They don’t even list the tire size anywhere or the amperage of the 12 volt DC converter/charger. I know where to find the tire size, and the converter data, but I still think an “as built” list should be provided.
My trailer (bought new) came with a sheet that showed all the options, types and sizes of AC, furnace etc. Tire size is listed. Amperage of the converter?? You usually have to look at the unit to see. Sort of like buying a new car and looking for the specs on the battery or alternator....you have to look at it.

I still have all my paperwork so I know what those things are but I bought it new. I suspect you would have had those things if the previous owner(s) had kept them or if you had bought it new. Wondering why Keystone doesn't have a listing of the equipment on your 13 year old trailer is expecting a bit much IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Cracker

Well, I guess you’re right Sourdough, but I really didn’t want to spend $35,000 plus just to get that kind of information. The units I’ve owned over the past 55 years have probably just left me with high expectations.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

In Johns words, this is just a WAG, but if you have 30 amp service then I'd guess you have a 13.5k unit to help with power management. If your service is 50 amp, then it might be 15k, but I'm still getting it's 13.5k based on the age. Looking in the unit to see is the only way to tell.

Just curious, did you ask the previous owner if they had the sheet you are looking for? They're the only ones who would know. Maybe we need to add this question to the forum PDI checklist?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:42 PM   #7
Cracker

You’re probably right about the 13,500 btu as the trailer has 30 amp service. I would have physically checked by now but we're in the middle of the latest snowstorm and the trailer is pretty much buried. Meanwhile, I’ve been spending my time reading every pamphlet and instruction book that came with it. Thanks for the response.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well, I guess you’re right Sourdough, but I really didn’t want to spend $35,000 plus just to get that kind of information. The units I’ve owned over the past 55 years have probably just left me with high expectations.
Not trying to be contentious; just trying to learn. I've only messed with rv's for 37 years or so and I've not had the luxury of having extensive, detailed information on all operating systems of a 13 year old RV provided by the manufacturer - back then there was no internet, few dealers and zip for info to owners other than what came with it etc. In fact, I tried pulling that up this evening from Forest River, Fleetwood and Jayco; no luck. Just so I know where to look for a better RV with better documentation.....can you provide guidance on all those brands you've owned in the last "55 years" that provided that kind of documentation on that old of a unit??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
You’re probably right about the 13,500 btu as the trailer has 30 amp service. I would have physically checked by now but we're in the middle of the latest snowstorm and the trailer is pretty much buried. Meanwhile, I’ve been spending my time reading every pamphlet and instruction book that came with it. Thanks for the response.
You may still get a pleasant surprise. A 30A service doesn't necessarily imply a 13,5K BTU AC. The new trailer we are purchasing only comes with a 30A service, but has a 15K BTU AC as an option. But I'm guessing that with a 15K AC,and a 30A service, there's less you can also run when the AC is on, than with a 13.5K AC.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Our 2014 trailer has 30 amp service and the optional 15K BTU A/C. Most of the "more modern" air conditioners do not have significantly different power demands. Energy management has made marked improvement in the past 10-15 years and the wattage required to power a 13.5K A/C in 2005 will easily power a modern 15K unit. There are even 17K heat pump units that use less power than current model 13.5K A/C's. So, while it's nice to have 50 amp service with many larger trailers, it's not a requirement for the optional Air Conditioner.

Cracker, if you have the owner's packet that came with the trailer and "IF" (note the caps) that packet is complete, there is a "build sheet" (usually the yellow copy) that is a form, filled in by hand, with all the serial numbers, part numbers and information on each appliance, water pump, tires, etc that was installed in the trailer. The "rub" (if you want to call it that) is whether you can blame the previous owner for "poor records management" if that form is not in the packet he gave to you when you purchased his used trailer. It's been "out of Keystone's area of responsibility" for at least 12 years, maybe even longer, so this is NOT a "manufacturer's problem" or a "manufacturers lack of responsibility" that the previous owner didn't maintain good records on his trailer.

Here is a copy of the build sheet for our old Springdale. As you can see, it's a single sheet of paper, certainly not a "requirement for Keystone to maintain" after the trailer is shipped to the dealer. If the person you bought your RV from kept it, he should have passed it on to you, possibly in the owner's packet. But if it's missing, after 13 years, whatever Keystone maintained would likely be out of date if the previous owner changed out any of the appliances, tires or other equipment. If available, you can use that sheet to track the model number and determine what was installed, if it's missing, then you're better off "trudging through the snow to check your trailer". It won't help to "blame Keystone" for not having the information available on a trailer that is so old it's past the statute of limitations......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SPRINGDALE BUILD SHEET.pdf (112.6 KB, 339 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #11
Cracker

No “blame” intended, but my 2000 Airstream, my 1995 Award, and my 2006 Winnebago Class C all had extensive documentation of the specific equipment included, rather than a generic description thereof. That’s what I had hoped to find in the Cougar portfolio - but perhaps, as suggested, it was not maintained by the original owner. In any event I’m confident that, with help from the forums, I’ll be able to resolve any questions that might come up with my new (to me) 2005 Cougar.l
Old 03-14-2018, 02:20 AM   #12
WNY Bullet

It's always best to look at the unit itself. We bought a 2015 Bullet Premier this past fall and we also didn't have a listing of spec's. It did include all the manuals, but they are usually covering multiple models, so it didn't help me either to pinpoint sizes. We assumed we had the standard 13.5K AC unit installed, but when I pulled the filter and looked, we actually have the upgraded 15k unit on our 30a trailer. So it's best to just look on the unit. I'm pretty sure the spec's from the dealer listing stated it as a 35.5k unit.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #13
Dave W

I would be very surprised if a builds sheet at least made it to your dealer who probably didn't bother putting it in your delivery package as he should have. I would give him a call or visit if nearby and insist on him providing that vital information. The build sheet on our Montana was two full pages of info and while barely decipherable, still can be 90% read with a magnifying glass

Oh and that a/c, it probably is a 15K. The last two SOB RVs we had both had 15K Btu and were both 30 amp service.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #14
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I would be very surprised if a builds sheet at least made it to your dealer who probably didn't bother putting it in your delivery package as he should have. I would give him a call or visit if nearby and insist on him providing that vital information. The build sheet on our Montana was two full pages of info and while barely decipherable, still can be 90% read with a magnifying glass

Oh and that a/c, it probably is a 15K. The last two SOB RVs we had both had 15K Btu and were both 30 amp service.
Dave, the OP's Cougar is a 2005, so a build sheet was most likely was not available unless the original owner supplied it. Ours is a 2 year old Bullet Premier and the original build sheet was not supplied with ours either.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
Dave, the OP's Cougar is a 2005, so a build sheet was most likely was not available unless the original owner supplied it. Ours is a 2 year old Bullet Premier and the original build sheet was not supplied with ours either.
OOPs - guess I had better clean my specs - I missed that important bit of info

Sounds like your dealer messed up though
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:20 AM   #16
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Sounds like your dealer messed up though
For the better, I'm sure they would have charged more!

Old 03-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #17
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post
... Ours is a 2 year old Bullet Premier and the original build sheet was not supplied with ours either.
George

Welcome to the forum. Where in Maine are you? We "summer" down (or should I say "up") in York.

We had the same experience as WNY - no build sheet was supplied. And if it wasn't for this forum, I never would have known one should have been provided.

Our unit is 30A and has the 15K BTU AC. It was an option; we didn't get to choose it - it was the way the trailer was built.

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #18
travelin texans

For the several years, for me & my rvs, I don't think there are/ever were asbuilts, not sure about blueprints even. They change models, floor plans, discontinue, add new so often there's no way a room full of draftsman could keep up. I think the folks on the assembly line look at a plan & then build it whichever way gets it out the door the quickest, if they have a blueprint it's merely a suggestion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote